Question

Unlocked s21 Ultra showing as "Unknown Device" and not supporting 5G or Extended Range LTE on My Mobile account

Show first post

45 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

if its a TMO variant then it should already be in their system..it was branded for them after all..which if memory serves if you purchased it from another vendor it must be on their network for a certain amount of days before it can be unlocked by TMO. 40 days i believe for Post paid and a year for Pre paid or something along those lines.

Userlevel 1

I brought over a Samsung S10e from Verizon and a new unlocked S21 Ultra (bought from Samsung).

The 10e is identified correctly, the Ultra is unknown.  So I don’t know if porting brought over info from Verizon or it’s just somewhat random.   Of course, about from identifying the model, little of the other stuff like checking lock status, works

Just know, My wife’s unlocked iPhone 12 Pro and my iPad both show up correctly. It’s definitely something between Samsung and T-mobile.

Badge

if its a TMO variant then it should already be in their system..it was branded for them after all..which if memory serves if you purchased it from another vendor it must be on their network for a certain amount of days before it can be unlocked by TMO. 40 days i believe for Post paid and a year for Pre paid or something along those lines.

It should be in their system , but it isn't in their system hence the post.  Similar to when I purchased a T-Mobile device from Samsung directly. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

It won't, unless it is a device purchased from T-Mobile.  The device showing in your account doesn't matter.  Samsung's U1 devices work exceptionally well with T-Mobile. 

Badge

This is not a manufacturing problem or a samsung problem its a t-mobile problem.  If you can look up your own imei number and get the model, so can t-mobile.  They just don't do it. Why they don't I can't comment on but be sure it would take about 60 seconds to manually look up your imei number and if they had someone put in a couple hours of work they could build the automation in easily so I have to believe its intentional.

Probably because it serves no purpose!  Whether your device shows up as what it is or an unknown device has absolutely zero impact on whether your device works or not with the service.  

You're right this is an issue within T-Mobile because I bought my S21 Ultra directly from T-Mobile they put the SIM card in and mine does not work with extended LTE in a quote limited service area and they're telling me I need to turn the airplane off and turn it back on so I can do roaming and I won't be charged I shouldn't have to my phone is set up for Auto

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

This is not a manufacturing problem or a samsung problem its a t-mobile problem.  If you can look up your own imei number and get the model, so can t-mobile.  They just don't do it. Why they don't I can't comment on but be sure it would take about 60 seconds to manually look up your imei number and if they had someone put in a couple hours of work they could build the automation in easily so I have to believe its intentional.

Probably because it serves no purpose!  Whether your device shows up as what it is or an unknown device has absolutely zero impact on whether your device works or not with the service.  

You're right this is an issue within T-Mobile because I bought my S21 Ultra directly from T-Mobile they put the SIM card in and mine does not work with extended LTE in a quote limited service area and they're telling me I need to turn the airplane off and turn it back on so I can do roaming and I won't be charged I shouldn't have to my phone is set up for Auto

This can happen sometimes when I store hasn’t turned in their IMEI list of devices sold or just lag for the new device to show up on your account.  If it has been more than a week and your T-Mobile purchased device still shows up as an unknown device.  Call Support and have them verify that the IMEI is in T-Mobile’s system as a device sold to you by T-Mobile.  

I have the same issue, my Samsung S21 Ultra is showing up as unknown device. I was looking into Xfinity Mobile since Verizon has better coverage in my neighborhood but they’re telling me my device is not compatible. It can’t be true since Xfinity sells the S21 Ultra. Not sure exactly, but I’m thinking it’s related to this issue, which is frustrating.

Badge

I have the same issue, my Samsung S21 Ultra is showing up as unknown device. I was looking into Xfinity Mobile since Verizon has better coverage in my neighborhood but they’re telling me my device is not compatible. It can’t be true since Xfinity sells the S21 Ultra. Not sure exactly, but I’m thinking it’s related to this issue, which is frustrating.

Is your device a T-Mobile branded device and if so where was it bought from ? 

It it's a T-Mobile branded device bought from any authorized dealer other than TMobile directly then  it's  the same issue as me. 

Because T-Mobile state that they can't process sim unlock requests because the IMEI isn't recognized due to it not being in their system. 

Ive already filed a complaint to the FCC. Since it's unacceptable that a phone should remain sim locked with no avenue to get it unlocked due to system limitations.

I bought it at Best Buy. Guess I should have known :(

Another issue I have noticed on the unlocked versions is RCS doesn't work with Samsung messages app. Workaround is moving to Google messages app but still 

Badge

I found in the More Connections options. And after hours of searching through duck. Go where T-Mobile's ads can't override your search, u have yo select yhe Temporary Network Unlock option so that ur device can access their "partner service providers" and actually use the FREE roaming feature. This was after SEVERAL calls to TMobile asking how to do it. They REFUSE to tell u how ot about that setting because of their advertizements, they have to allow ur roaming and unlock for FREE! They've been getting slapped by the Consumer Protection Law authorities over their FALSE adds about the best setvice coverage. The teick is, u have to fo the temp unlock in advance. I guess we should just assume we wont have service and unlock it ever 30 days when it goes back to default

Badge

I was told by both Samsung and T-Mobile support that both the unlocked and locked version of this phone are 100% compatible with T-Mobile’s network.  Clearly they are incorrect.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I was told by both Samsung and T-Mobile support that both the unlocked and locked version of this phone are 100% compatible with T-Mobile’s network.  Clearly they are incorrect.  

That is correct!  Samsung's issue right now, is their development for their devices.  

Badge

That is correct!  Samsung's issue right now, is their development for their devices.  

What kind of development “issues” is Samsung having?  Are you saying that the unlocked version is or isn’t 100% compatible?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

What kind of development “issues” is Samsung having?  Are you saying that the unlocked version is or isn’t 100% compatible?

The unlocked version is 100% compatible.  All of the issues plaguing Samsung devices currently, and it's a lot of them.  Are partially related to COVID, but that is no excuse for a lack of quality control or testing before pushing firmware out to devices. 

Apparently in the situations mentioned, it’s about Samsung phones -- unlocked -- not being compatible with SOMETHING within T-Mobile. Maybe the SIM cards they provide for the unlocked phones aren’t set up correctly. Maybe it even has something to do with an almost passive aggressive way of ‘discouraging’ customers to buy products directly from Samsung.

Whatever it is, it has wrecked the fun and excitement of my new phone.

Interestingly, before I realized what a mess this was going to be, I took advantage of the Samsung watch offer on 2/24. The data lines were added last night, and the phones are being delivered tomorrow, 4/7. I just hope it goes well.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

It won't, unless it is a device purchased from T-Mobile.  The device showing in your account doesn't matter.  Samsung's U1 devices work exceptionally well with T-Mobile. 

this goes for all BYOD correct? not just Samsung phones brought in as a BYOD?

So why does customer support keep leading me to believe this is a “glitch” and a “fixable” thing. And that I should expect it to be remedied within 48 to 72 hours?

I wish I knew.  Support and Customer Care sometimes say things just to get people off of the phone without being more annoyed than when they called.  Your device showing as an unknown device does not restrict it in any way.  If the device is capable of using T-Mobile's implementation of it, it will work as long as the appropriate settings are correct. 

I have had multiple unlocked phones purchase elsewhere and used on T-Mobile where my account was able to identify the device and IMEI numbers. One device even got purchased internationally and had the details on my account. Yet some other devices, T-Mobile my account page recognized that it was a ‘Galaxy S10’ but nothing else about the phone or compatibility section.