Question

VoLTE on BYOD Phone

Badge

Happy Friday Everyone!

I have a late 2019 unlocked Android One phone (running Android 10) that receives strong T-Mobile LTE signal and everything generally works quite well. The VoLTE capability is visible in my OS menus and is "turned on" so it seems VoLTE is already baked into the OS. Despite this, the VoLTE does not work and the signal drops to H+ when I make (or receive) phone calls. Here are the questions I have: -

1. Any ideas why VoLTE is not working?
2. Is this a T-Mobile issue, or phone manufacturer issue, or Google issue, or a user error?
3. What can I do to get VoLTE work?

PS: Please note that this is an Android One phone so there are no "skins" nor "wrappers" installed by the phone manufacturer. Let me know if additional info is needed to answer the questions correctly.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I don’t know why it doesn’t work but hopefully this issue will be fixed because starting Jan.2021 unlocked phones must have VoLte or they won’t work on Tmobile.

Badge

Thanks for the comment. I am crossing my fingers (and toes) this resolves on its own soon. I really, really don’t want to buy a new phone at the moment !

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Check the XDA forum for your device.  There might be a ROM, PDA instructions, or an engineering menu you need to discover to make it work. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Check the XDA forum for your device.  There might be a ROM, PDA instructions, or an engineering menu you need to discover to make it work. 

XDA has an article and says there’s an app that will let you know.

https://www.xda-developers.com/t-mobile-att-require-volte-phone-calls-shut-down-3g/

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

XDA has an article and says there’s an app that will let you know.

https://www.xda-developers.com/t-mobile-att-require-volte-phone-calls-shut-down-3g/

That also answers the RoG phone question.  It states that VoLTE does not work on the new device on T-Mobile, but also continues on to mention that it was easy for it to be enabled on the II. 

Badge

It seems the app mentioned in that XDA article says “your currently active call is going over 3G network instead of LTE”. I already know this fact :) The question is why a VoLTE-capable phone that can receive LTE signal is unable to actually use VoLTE? I will try looking for special engineering codes/menus to see if I get lucky.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I read somewhere that Tmobile has to verify that E911 will work over VoLte on the phone.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I read somewhere that Tmobile has to verify that E911 will work over VoLte on the phone.

YES! Log on to your account and make sure your 911 & PPU addresses are set correctly!

Badge

YES! Log on to your account and make sure your 911 & PPU addresses are set correctly!

Will do. It is generally a good idea to have E911 address correctly set on the account but has no bearing on VoLTE ability, correct?

Badge

That makes sense. What can I do to have Tmobile complete this verification?

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

You verify that those addresses are correct. Log on to your account & make sure they're filled out and correct.