Solved

What is the expected time frame for Nexus 6 Marshmallow OTA?

Very curious to find it out. As other nexus devices have got the update (shows completed), and Nexus 6 status is still "Testing".

icon

Best answer by tidbits 9 October 2015, 21:15

It doesn't roll out all at once. Just because you don't have it doesn't mean it isn't rolling out. Just relax it's coming.

View original

186 replies

Userlevel 6

T-Mobile to begin pushing Nexus 6 Android 6.0 update this week » TmoNews

Ths week is over no update.

Promises it would be out this week and still nothing. The point of having Nexus devices is to be the first to get new software updates. What is T-Mobile doing? Leave the update alone. Don't mess with it and just start the ota.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

It doesn't roll out all at once. Just because you don't have it doesn't mean it isn't rolling out. Just relax it's coming.

Tidbits, do you work for t mobile?

Userlevel 6

What part of "begin" did you miss?

Begin means START -- not FINISH.  Some folks got the OTA this week.  A small population.  Then they ramp up the rollout as they discover it's not harming folks in the wild.

I know what "begin" mean... But it doesn't take s week to rollout a update. The nexus 5 and 7 got their update on Monday. You gonna sit here and tell me the nexus 6 will take longer?

The ota has not started. Are you seriously telling me that T-Mobile would start the rollout, but not plaster it on their page to show that they are one of, if not the first carrier to begin the ota rollout for Android 6.0 on the Nexus 6. Also, why does T-Mobile seemingly have no clue about the prerequisite requirement of the October security update prior to receiving 6.0.  The update page makes no mention of these October security updates.

I have been using the N6 since January. To be honest, all updates for this device have rolled out the same way. I have grown to expect nothing within the first 2 weeks, maybe even 3 or 4.

I would wait a couple few weeks and then start raising fires and throwing fits about where it's at. At this point, I think complaining about the wait is a bit unrealistic. Heck! My Nexus 7(2013-Gen 2) WIFI only tablet has not yet even received the update to Marshmallow and it draws updates direct from google without any carrier barriers to pass.

Give it time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

No I do not work for T-Mobile and I own ever Nexus since the Nexus One. My current Nexus 6 doesn't have the update rolling out from Google. I understand it's a staggered roll out and I am not bothered. My Nexus 5 got the update today. Google uses the same staggered rollout policy.

I have the same tablet, but at least with that I had the option of sideloading the ota via adb (which I did and everything is working great.) I don't, however, have that option currently with my Nexus 6 beside no one has the OTA zip yet. Assuming, the OTA rollout has begun, I find it hard to believe that not a single techie nabbed the OTA and posted it somewhere. Which is why I don't believe the OTA rollout has begun.

Yeah, I dont think its gotten out too much yet but I will wait for a couple more weeks and see whats up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Techies are not the only people who bought this device. There are more users now than before for nexus devices as the Nexus 6 was sold on ALL carriers compared to previous Nexus devices. Don't worry you'll get the update.  I am not pressing simply because if I really wanted it I'll flash the Factory image. As I said mine is from Google and I still haven't gotten the update myself.

Userlevel 6

I think it took well over a week before the Nexus 5 OTA to 5.1.1 showed up on xda.

Userlevel 5

Hey there!

The roll out has indeed been confirmed to have begun, however it is coming out in batches and has not been updated on all devices. We don't have a timeline for completion,but appreciate any patience you have and are actively having this rolled out!

-Lauren

Has the rollout begun for the Nexus 6?  That is what this post is concerned with, not "all devices". Could you be a little clearer.  You're not telling us anything we didn't already know.

Userlevel 6

I would imagine Lauren meant the rollout hasn't made it's way to all Nexus 6 devices.

There's also apparently two Marshmallow update files for the Nexus 7 (the device I have) -- the update file that exists out there on the webs for the N7 doesn't include the "from" version my device is on.  Doesn't mean the rollout isn't happening, but the OTA file hasn't been caught nor has my N7 gotten Marshmallow.

If that is the case and the Nexus 6 rollout has begun, how come the T-Mobile update page for the Nexus 6 still says it is at stage 2 T-Mobile testing.  I also see no reports of any one who has received the ota. How could the Nexus 7 (LTE and WiFi), the Nexus 5, and the Nexus 9 (LTE and WIFi) be so much further along the ota rollout than the Nexus 6. It has been 5 days since the update was first "released". Why is the ota rollout dragging so much for the Nexus 6.

Userlevel 6

I'd guess the update page is a tad behind?

Or T-Mobile is still testing some of the WiFi Calling Carrier Payload stuff?

Des updated his tweet saying "this week" was for the factory OTA not the T-Mo OTA. Hopefully we get it soon.

My wife got the update on her Nexus 5 last week almost as soon as the T-Mobile site changed to "Completed" for the Nexus 5. But I'm still showing "T-Mobile Testing" for the Nexus 6 and still no update. Don't think it's lagging behind, I can find no instance of a person having the update on a Nexus 6 under T-Mobile.

Userlevel 5

smply is correct that I had intended to mean it hasn't rolled out to all N6 devices! 😊

@emperorphil‌ you are absolutely correct in pointing out we seem to have a discrepancy on two of our pages where here https://support.t-mobile.com/community/phones-tablets-devices/software-updates#tmoSUPDocTitle it says testing, and here Software versions & updates: Google Nexus 6 it says the rollout for WiFi started the 5th. Thanks for bringing that to our attention! I'm going to run point on this and I've already started sending out some e-mails so I can get clarification as the info is conflicting. I'll be following up directly on this thread here, so expect to hear back from me soon! 😊

My Nexus just received the Marshmallow OTA a few minutes ago, so I can confirm that the OTA process has indeed started for the Nexus 6.

Userlevel 6

Everyone hopes you pulled the OTA URL and are posting it all over 😊

(I'm on Marshmallow with my Nexus5, so I don't care 😀)

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

More than likely didn't. If that person did he would have linked it somewhere and handed a link to it.