Solved

What is the 'Search for Chatbots' thing in my text message contacts and how do I get rid of it?

• 14 April 2021
  • 21 replies

Badge
  • First activity
  • 0 replies

There’s a group ABOVE my favorites in the contact section of my text messages that’s called “Chatbots” with a contact called “Search for Chatbots.” When I click on it, I get a warning that it’s a T-mobile product, not a Samsung one, then it brings up a search feature which doesn’t seem to have any results.

I’m curious what this was supposed to do, but what I really want to know is: How do I remove this?

icon

Best answer by Robertjobrj 28 October 2021, 00:17

View original

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

i just checked my contacts on my LG V60 and do not have anything like that in there..actually scanned all the way through my list and didnt see it anywhere on my side..so either its something that should be hidden and for whatever reason was not on the Sammy devices or for some reason its only on Sammy devices.

would need a few more non Samsung devices to confirm this..and any other non V60

Userlevel 1

I just got a new phone from T-Mobile yesterday (Samsung A12) and I have the same question.  I have no idea what it is or how to get rid of it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

this is a feature that is in the stock texting app or just straight up in your contacts list?

if its a group within the texting app but NOT within your actual contacts list then its on Samsung..they use their own texting app..odds are if you jump over to Googles Messages it wont be in there.

I have a Samsung S20 FE 5G and I am seeing the same. I open the native Messages app. At the bottom there are 2 "tabs"; Conversations and Contacts. When I tap the Contacts tab, there's a specific "Chatbots" section, separate from Favorites and Groups. Currently it has an item labeled "Search for Chatbots". When I tap the "Search for Chatbots", I get a disclaimer message that says,

"You hereby acknowledge and agree that:
.The Chatbot Service and any contents provided to you through such service, are being provided to you by T-Mobile, and not by Samsung.
. Your use of Chatbot Service is governed by T-Mobile's Terms and Conditions, and that any information or personal data you provide to T-Mobile will be subject to T-Mobile's Privacy Policy.
. Samsung expressly disclaims any liability in connection with Chatbot Service and its contents (or your use thereof), to the extent permitted under applicable law.
Agree"

I imagine the feature is intended to separate those text notifications from your bank, pharmacy, or even the T-Mobile product and billing notifications. But I'd really like an official confirmation before I agree to or use any feature. Or the option to opt-out of and/or remove the feature.

Looks like I can only attach one image, I attempted to attach a collaged screen shot of both the Contacts and Disclaimer screens, but I think the attachment was too large, so I've only attached the Contacts screen shot. The Disclaimer I copy/pasted above the exact wording. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

still a bit nuts that the only devices its showing up on so far are Samsung devices though..still nothing on my LG V60..however these come with Google Messages as its texting app..so might be the difference?

This is a T-Mobile problem. I have a OnePlus and got the new T-Mobile SIM card (I'm on Sprint and they texted all of us to get these new SIM cards to make full use of the T-Mobile 5G Network) installed the SIM card today and among a number of unwanted extras it put this chatbot thing at the top of my text list and I can't remove it

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

so weird..same scenario here..im from the Sprint side and have switched to the TMO sim card and still do not have the chat bot feature/option in my texting app.

and there isnt any option to turn it off within the texting apps settings anywhere?

I've had this fone for almost a year now & just noticed this "search for chatbots" in my contacts so out of curiosity I pressed it, read some disclaimer stating this is feature is from t-mobile , hesitantly pressed agree & it then started to "search for chatbots" I guess yet nothing happened.   What this feature for is my question & does it even work is my question yet nobody has the answer. Maybe if I asked a chatbot I'd get an answer 🤔 

And yes it seems like its only in Samsung foreshore my fone 8s a Samsung

Chatbot service just showed up after allowing the latest update a week after replacing the SIM.

Discovered that if u change the default message app u can make Chatbot go away. When u return to the messages app you'll be told to make it ur default and that will be that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

and the stock app would be Samsungs correct?

Chatbot service just showed up after allowing the latest update a week after replacing the SIM.

Discovered that if u change the default message app u can make Chatbot go away. When u return to the messages app you'll be told to make it ur default and that will be that.

I don't know what this means.  The only messaging app I have is the Samsung.  It's already the default messages app?

Why is this even on here?  Like, it hasn't intercepted or identified anything in the 3 months I've had the device.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

because in your case Samsung added it on..carriers dont get to mess with manufacturers specific apps.

if this were the case you would see it on all the manufacturers devices that come stock with the Google texting app instead of their own variant.

the only two manufacturers that are seeing this are One Plus and Samsung..which both run their own texting apps compared to the rest.

Ok. I just got a OnePlus from T-Mobile and saw this as well. Clicked it agreed and saw the same search however when I his search it brought up a list of retailers. One of the retailers was Kroger so I typed "What's this week's specials". This brought up a response with coupons and recipes. I Googled chat it's and apparently they are a customer service AI device that helps customers with basic questions and are designed to interact in a conversational way more like chatting with a person. Hopefully this helps people understand them. The Kroger one was actually pretty cool to interact with.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Ok. I just got a OnePlus from T-Mobile and saw this as well. Clicked it agreed and saw the same search however when I his search it brought up a list of retailers. One of the retailers was Kroger so I typed "What's this week's specials". This brought up a response with coupons and recipes. I Googled chat it's and apparently they are a customer service AI device that helps customers with basic questions and are designed to interact in a conversational way more like chatting with a person. Hopefully this helps people understand them. The Kroger one was actually pretty cool to interact with.

correct..i posted a link to it in the other chat bot thread..probably should have dropped it in here too..its a Samsung deal but its something TMO agreed to and OP also jumped on to try out.

https://rcs.developer.samsung.com/develop/Introduction/overview.html

gives quite a bit of detail on what all it brings to the table etc in there.

It's a direction everything is moving towards, so great, it's being tested. 

One major question tho that's not being answered is how to remove it. Like Facebook and all its tracking I'm not impressed with not having control over something I purchased. I read terms and conditions 9/10 of the time before I use anything. Here tho you have nothing to read really. I don't want it on my phone. 

How do I remove this? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

dont believe you can remove it..turn it off yes..well on the Samsung line..for some reason the OP line can not but im still waiting to hear back on that one..sounding like it was something OP forgot to include when they added it into their stuff..but again im waiting to hear back on that one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I saw this on my 7 Pro a while back.  I rolled back the text app by sideloading the older version of the text app.  It never returned because I never updated the texting app after that.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

ok so this is the answer i was given. chat bot can be turned off on the Samsung line but OP when they added it to their texting app did not include a way to turn it off..their forums are full of complaints about this.. so a bit on OP to fix this or not..was also told that the OP comes with both their texting app as well as Googles..personally if none of you want chat bots i would switch over to Googles texting app that is on the phone.

and or jump over to OPs chat forums and load it up even more about the lack of turning it off options.

There’s a group ABOVE my favorites in the contact section of my text messages that’s called “Chatbots” with a contact called “Search for Chatbots.” When I click on it, I get a warning that it’s a T-mobile product, not a Samsung one, then it brings up a search feature which doesn’t seem to have any results.

I’m curious what this was supposed to do, but what I really want to know is: How do I remove this?

I found this video on the GCFGlobal website that explains chatbots in a minute and a half. It's like Alexa or Google assistant. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I found this video on the GCFGlobal website that explains chatbots in a minute and a half. It's like Alexa or Google assistant. 

correct. i posted a link above with a ton of walk throughs on what it is and how it works etc.

This feature is also on my Motorola Moto Pure 2021 (Assurance Wireless - a subsidiary of T-MOBILE)

However, instead of having to click a button to search for chatbots, the list was already populated by default. (Screenshot attached)

I've yet to try any of them...not sure that I'm interested enough to do so...I'm quite happy with the Google Assistant.👍 I like her. Especially when I can get her to sing for me!! Fun stuff!😁

If I decide to try any of them, I'll post an update for any interested parties. 👩‍🎓👨‍🎓👍