Question

What phone should I choose

Badge

My husband has always used a flip phone but is now ready to try a smart phone but I am nervous about it and not sure what to get him.  I started with a Blackberry and then have purchased IPhones ever since so I need to be able to help  him but don’t want something too difficult.  Any suggestions?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Since it's his first smartphone start him with one of the free phones TMobile is offering with 24 bill pay credits. If he doesn't like it return within the buyer's remorse. If he likes it then down the road get him a better phone.

You can also get him the iphone SE and be on the same platform if he has issues with the phone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

im in agreement with gramps.. if you were to get him the most basic of Apple phones you both would be using the same type of brand...so much easier to walk him through how to do things. not to mention the Apple to Apple only things like facetime etc.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

My husband has always used a flip phone but is now ready to try a smart phone but I am nervous about it and not sure what to get him.  I started with a Blackberry and then have purchased IPhones ever since so I need to be able to help  him but don’t want something too difficult.  Any suggestions?

Assuming your husband’s phone has zero trade in value to TMobile, just buy an iPhone directly from Apple and make sure it is the unlocked, carrier agnostic version. It will cost the same as carrier versions and you will never have to worry about unlocking later on.

In addition to what the others have recommended for both of you to be on the iPhone platform, buying directly from Apple gives you a free one-on-one training session:

https://www.apple.com/shop/personal-session

I wouldn’t worry about your husband not being able to make the transition, I would worry more about getting his attention once he finds out all the things a smartphone can do! You may have to text him!