Question

Why hasn't tmobile pushed the update to fix MS intune passport?

Userlevel 1
Badge

There is an issue in the oneplus version of android 12 that prevents microsoft intune passport from functioning properly. oneplus has fixed this for unlocked phones (c47 update), however, tmobile has not yet pushed this update. So I have a $1000 phone that I can’t use for work, because it won’t authenticate. It is a known issue and tmobile has done NOTHING to help.  https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/microsoft-intune-company-portal-app-not-in-compliance-after-oneplus-9-pro-upgraded-to-android-12.1533414/

16 replies

That’s not Correct 

The Device Manufacturer did issue a new version of the Oxygen version C47, solving the problme back in March but T-Mobile is not enabling the software update

This is getting beyond absurd.  I find posts online that show the version that is supposed to work for the OnePlus 9 Pro, but T-Mobile has not pushed the update through yet.  I am checking multiple times a day to try to get the update.

40% of what I do on my phone is for work.  Work has policies that won’t even allow email (Office 365) unless the device is marked “compliant”

I have went weeks without access to work email, calendar, and documents on my phone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

T-Mobile doesn’t compile or push updates for any devices.  Those are taken care of by the devices manufacturer.  OnePlus development teams are very small.  Usually 5 people or less per device model, which includes all variants.  Working on the Global/NA, then EU, Indian, China, and carrier variants is a lot for a small team to focus on, so builds are going to get updates well before others.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The MSM Tool should be posted on the OnePlus official forum as well as on XDA-Developers in the forum for the device.  The builds should be on XDA as well.  XDA thread for the OnePlus 9 5G that contains the T-Mobile MSM Tool and instructions.  https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/oneplus-9-11-2-22-2-t-mobile-msm-download-tool.4276119/

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Oh and if someone says Android is Open Source.  You don’t understand the licensing.

Kernel is GPL while the OS itself is under Apache 2.0.  You can get Android and do what you want, but features, and sofware you add DON’T have to be included if you don’t want to unless they are licensed other than proprietary.  Google even sued Cyanogenmod for example for violating licensing on a lot of Google software as well as certain features you don’t find in AOSP which they put into their ROMs.

I spoke with OnePlus tech support moments ago (after being transferred there by T-Mobile tech support.) OnePlus tech support said they push the update to the carriers, and it’s up to the carriers to release the update to our phones. They also said I should contact Microsoft and ask them to make Intune Company Portal compatible with all versions. Fingers pointing all directions...

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

I spoke with OnePlus tech support moments ago (after being transferred there by T-Mobile tech support.) OnePlus tech support said they push the update to the carriers, and it’s up to the carriers to release the update to our phones. They also said I should contact Microsoft and ask them to make Intune Company Portal compatible with all versions. Fingers pointing all directions...

When they submit doesn’t mean it passed security testing and it gets sent back for OnePlus to fix it.  T-Mobile doesn’t like get it then push it out automatically.  You should have had OnePlus support give an exact date when they gave T-Mobile the update.  My bet is they didn’t finish and/or they are waiting the update cycle that OnePlus made for T-Mobile by forking their software.

Same issue here, I've even been trying to downgrade back to 11 but because it's T-Mobile specific it doesn't work with the unlocked global versions. Is there a downgrade option for T-Mobile available? How do we reinstall the factory Android 11 OS? T-Mobile used to have this available for carrier phones online.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

the tool should be on the OnePlus site itself.

Again that would be great if that were true, unfortunately they don’t have any carrier specific builds only Global, India, and China models. I need one for the T-Mobile OnePlus 9 5G LE2117 model but neither OnePlus nor T-Mobile seems to have this. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Again that would be great if that were true, unfortunately they don’t have any carrier specific builds only Global, India, and China models. I need one for the T-Mobile OnePlus 9 5G LE2117 model but neither OnePlus nor T-Mobile seems to have this. 

@syaoran 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

That’s not Correct 

The Device Manufacturer did issue a new version of the Oxygen version C47, solving the problme back in March but T-Mobile is not enabling the software update

probably because they must also pass a variant of it that is compatible with each carrier..if that variant passes testing then it gets kicked out..if it doesnt pass or runs into issues then its kicked back to OP in this case and they must figure out whats happening and fix it.

as its been since for well...ever..

Still broken, this is getting ridiculous. None of the solutions posted above will work on an locked phone. This is 100 percent on t-mobile to fix. It's crazy that they would send out an update, break a bunch of phones and then do nothing for a month to fix it. I would love to even downgrade. No options at all. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Still broken, this is getting ridiculous. None of the solutions posted above will work on an locked phone. This is 100 percent on t-mobile to fix. It's crazy that they would send out an update, break a bunch of phones and then do nothing for a month to fix it. I would love to even downgrade. No options at all. 

It’s not 100% T-Mobile.  Carriers don’t touch code.  Samsung, Sony, HTC, LG, and Motorola all released timelines on how their update process works.  All of them DON’T Give source code to carriers to work on.  Their software is proprietary, and people think they would allow someone to touch their code?  That’s like Microsoft giving source code to Dell, HP, Asus, and such while expecting them to keep that code secure.  More hands and more eyes in software development always leads to leaks especially when given outside the company.  This has been beaten with a dead horse since Android 4.0.  Google before that thought the same as everyone else UNTIL they did an OSP with Sony. During that project they found the carriers touch 0 code and only test the update against their network security.  This often took no longer than 1 month when submitted.  The longest delay was governmental bodies like the FCC testing, Wifi, Bluetooth, and such consortium.  This could take months.  To combat this since Android 5(might be 4.X) they release kernel sources after they finalized it and made Android modular so you could submit and test it before they even release the next Android version.  Every update since Android has been more and more modular allowing a lot of mainline software being able to be updated via Play Store instead of releasing major Android updates like you are asking.

The Problem always lies with the manufacturer.  Europe and Asia has the same software and bloatware yet they get updates faster…  Why?  We blame Carriers and the rest of the world realized it’s OEM’s.

OEM’s set the rules for device support.  It's their products and all carriers follow them.  At one point OEM’s would charge carriers for updates instead of updating their devices on their own.  Most OEM’s only support Treble via GSI and unlocked.

OnePlus CHOSE to separate the update between T-Mobile and the rest of the world.  They could have EASILY do what all other OEM’s do.  They chose to forked T-Mobile devices software and change the update cycle for it.  Build.prop is such a super minor update they could have easily pushed that out without testing as none of the network code would be changed to need to test it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Clearly you didn't even click or attempt to read the link above your post.  Again, T-Mobile has very little input into these updates that are developed, compiled, and pushed by OnePlus.  Try joing the FUT Program to learn a little more about the process and to have some feedback go right to the very small team that works on these updates.  Carriers do not have software and firmware development teams for devices!

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

one of my favorite break downs of how a update is handled starting with Google and working its way down to being released..

https://www.droid-life.com/2013/12/26/awesome-infographic-htc-shows-us-the-anatomy-of-an-android-os-update-from-pdk-to-ota/

and before anyone tosses out a “HTC isnt even in business anymore blahblahblah”..true..yet doesnt change the fact that they are one of the only ones to put it out there on how updates are handled..they didnt hide how it all works.