Solved

Why is my data connection so chaotic?

This is for a moto x pure. But I have had three other phones act the same way. One mintue I have lte, the next e, and then most of the time h. It connects best when I lay down, but when I sit up it drops and slows. Location chanes things, but I can stay put and it still jumps between e, lte, and h.

icon

Best answer by tmo_mike_c 13 July 2016, 16:58

Oh boy. We don't have account access here, but you're welcome to give T-Force a shot at this one. You can get in touch with them through the Twitter or FB links below. Most likely, it'll be the same answer you got from Prepaid, but T-Force can take a look at this for you.

View original

41 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hey @robor I have a few thoughts on this.

Can you check your coverage to make sure in in a strong LTE location? 4G LTE Coverage Map | Check Your 4G LTE Cell Phone Coverage | T-Mobile. Are there any valley or an area with tall trees that could be interfering?

I am in an area with red. So that makes no sense. Sometimes I have lte, sometimes e or h. Someyimes it jumps around all over the place for no reason. And sitting up seems to ruing the signal. I a nearby city I had virtually no coverage even though it is red too.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Okay, thanks for checking. You do have all the correct data settings for the phone?

https://support.t-mobile.com/community/phones-tablets-devices/android/motorola-moto-x#id_976321

Do you have a T-Mobile branded you can test your sim card in? It just seems odd that sitting up would cause the signal fluctuation.

That's what I have. No idea what to do at that point.

Insert image buttone doesnt work.

That is what I got after restarting the trying to connect. It no longer happens after a second restart.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hmm. Looks like you can change the APN settings but based on the second image, the entries aren't correct. Can you use the link that I posted early and make sure the settings in your phone are identical? For example, your second image shows that the APN is not set. That should have fast.t-mobile.com. Once you get all the settings correct, restart the phone and test it out. If the error comes back or data isn't working, you'll want to test your sim in a T-Mobile branded phone.

I have no way to look at that page and my setting at the same yime so it is a pita, but ill see.

I see no mms protocol.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

If it's not listed there, I suggest filling out what is there. It's rare, but I've seen some instances where unsupported devices may not include certain settings.

I have had three phone act this way. It is either the card or the network.

Oh, and that apn name. When you type one in it just shows up here. I already had that apn automatically.

I was taking photos of the wrong screen. I was tapping plus instead of the title.

Any more ideas on what to do?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Some things are still off. For example, the Password and Server fields should be Not set. Also, your APN type field should either be switched to Not set or Internet+MMS. The last thing is changing the APN protocol to IPv4/IPv6. After that, you should restart the phone and test it out. With the other phones you tested, were these T-Mobile phones or Non T-Mobile phones? It's important to know this before we are able to look at your network connection as the root cause.

The others were unlocked.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Okay, thanks for that info. If you changed the settings that I mentioned in my previous post and it's still not connected, you'll need to test the sim card in a T-Mobile branded device. The data working in a one of our devices means there something going on with the unlocked phone.

Should I set the roaming protocol the same way? Ipv4/ipv6?

And how do I do that?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Do me a favor. Go and check your IMEI. Don't screenshot it, or share what it is. Does it say unknown? If it does then contact Motorola for a replacement.

Why? And I cannot find ... I found IMEI and IMEI SV and both have numbers under them. No IMEI type was found. After I set the APN protocol to IPv4/IPv6 it seems to give me constant and immediate lte. Can, and should I, set the other settings back to where they were? I especially wonder about the password. What does that password actually do?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

IF you are getting LTE and everything is working fine then leave it.  I was making sure if when your service drops it may be do the network not getting the IMEI, and then no longer allowing onto the network.  My Nexus 5 would lose my IMEI out of nowhere and I had to do an exchange with Google, and the problem never came back.

For some reason after sitting upright for a while it will drop in speed down to e. Then after laying back down it will go to h. Then after gojng into airplane mode, the turning airplane mode off, while laying down it reconnects to a constant lte. Why does siting up or laying down matter?