Solved

Wifi Calling with Android Lollipop

• 19 October 2014
  • 5 replies

Now that T-Mobile has announced that the newest version of Android will support WIFI calling on their network for the new Nexus 6; will the Nexus 5 get this update as well and enable wifi calling?

icon

Best answer by smplyunprdctble 19 October 2014, 02:06

Exactly my analogy with iDevices.

We'd like to imagine it has the hardware specs for it.  We're just going to have to wait and see until something gets announced.

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6

There's been no communication on that.

There's an idea about maybe -- similar to how some of the iModels are able to get WiFi Calling with iOS8 and some don't.

There was this that talked about the Nexus 6 getting wifi calling from tmobile. I just figured since the Nexus 5 had the hardware to make it happen that we would get it too.

T-Mobile to add Wi-Fi calling support to the Nexus 6 in early 2015 | Android Central

Userlevel 6

Exactly my analogy with iDevices.

We'd like to imagine it has the hardware specs for it.  We're just going to have to wait and see until something gets announced.

Roger. Thanks.

Google's baking WiFi calling into Android L in a future update (early 2015). This is how the Nexus 6 will receive WiFi calling. It should be available on any Android L device that supports it at that time.

The Nexus 5 is on the update list so it *should* receive WiFi calling eventually.