Solved

Will T-Mobile sell the Pixel 4a?

• 18 August 2020
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Yes I know you can get the unlocked version right now for $350. But when reaching out to Google to find out if the unlocked version would support things like Wi-Fi calling on T-Mobile they gave me a reply that didn’t indicate it would. 

The thing is I’d hate to pay full price for a phone that doesn’t do everything it’s supposed to.

I guess one way or another I’ll have to wait. I’ll have to wait and see if T-Mobile sells them with all the features and frequencies and such, or if someone else grabs a 4a, tries it out and reports back to a forum like this one.

The thing is my LG G3 died and I thought I got it working again but it died again and the Pixel 4a looks compelling, but I’m just not sure yet but also need a phone like sometime right now.

icon

Best answer by gramps28 18 August 2020, 07:25

The US Version of the Pixel 4A devices will work for Tmobile WiFi calling.

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I thought you switched the motherboard into your wife’s old LG3 and all was good? Sorry it broke again..:cry: That must have been disappointing. What about the Pixel 3A? Didn’t you have a line on a good one for $100?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I thought you switched the motherboard into your wife’s old LG3 and all was good? Sorry it broke again..:cry: That must have been disappointing. What about the Pixel 3A? Didn’t you have a line on a good one for $100?

The G3 ended up inheriting the screen problems my Wife’s G3 had. So apprently it’s something wrong with the motherboard. Basically it stays on for about a minute and then fades black. After that it will on stay on for a few seconds.

I had a bid on a Pixel 3A on eBay that was still $100 up until 3 seconds from the end and it jumped to $170 just like that! So I guess I’m back at square one again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

If @gramps28 says it will, it probably does.

I just ordered one! Says it will come in by September 12.

Meanwhile I painfully got my G3 synced with my Surface Go so I can make and receive calls and messages from it.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Good luck! I get my new Note 20 Ultra (in metallic peach) tomorrow….maybe :wink: .

Really hoping there is some confirmation for the 4a. Our set of Pixel 2s are losing steam. Hopefully won't have to wait until the 5G//5 come out. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Fortunately I don't have a signal issue where I live. This means I don't depend on Wi-Fi calling. I can see where that might be an issue if I was traveling or somewhere where signal was low. But pretty much everything works with wi-fi calling nowadays. I am still contemplating getting the pixel 4A myself. Google will give me $200 for my S10 e how ever my current phone is somewhat Superior to that phone outside of the vanilla Android experience. The Samsung a71 5G is free if I trade in my phone and that is probably a better bet for someone like myself.

All previous pixels worked on T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling.http://www.spectrumgateway.com/compatible-phones

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Well I got my Pixel 4a in two weeks earlier than expected and I can confirm that the Wi-Fi calling works perfectly fine.

It’s a pretty nice phone! Battery life is awesome so far. And it’s not near as glitchy as the LG G3.

I got a case, front glass and earbuds and am ready to go!

Too bad it doesn’t have FM radio, but I don’t think any other phones do anymore. Guess I’ll keep my old MP3 player too for now.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Glad to hear the pixel 4A is working out for you. You can load that thing up with songs and use an external SD card inserted to add more. As far as FM goes there aren't many anymore that use FM radio. People will make the argument that it is necessary in times of emergency to have FM capability however most everybody has moved over to a streaming service at this point. And on most T-Mobile plans with unlimited data you can still use apps like iHeartRadio and Tune In app to listen to local stations. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Ya. I know I’m the odd ball here, but the problem is that I don’t use FM radio for music but rather for certain localized meetings broadcast over FM radio. The FM broadcast is mainly there for the hearing impaired. But it sure makes an easy way of recording the information so I can go over it later.

I’ll have to check out the external SD card. I never heard of such a thing.

I do have wind up emergency FM radio/flash lights ready in a to-go bag in case of emergencies.

For music I just copy over what I need from my computer. Maybe that external SD card would be handy. But it is kind of hard for me to fill the 128GB on the phone already.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Well that's just as well because I misspoke. The pixel 4A does not have expandable storage. Nonetheless TuneIn Radio app does have a recording function.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

How long after Google released the pixel 3 a did T-Mobile actually carry it? I know a lot of times the exclusive deal with Verizon has to expire before any other carrier can carry a device which of course at that point is old news.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Well that's just as well because I misspoke. The pixel 4A does not have expandable storage. Nonetheless TuneIn Radio app does have a recording function.

Oh ok. I thought maybe it was some sort of USB-C to Micro SD card adapter or something.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

No. Unfortunately as good as the 4A is, most every worthwhile phone made today has expandable memory. To think that users are locked into one configuration of memory is just a huge Antiquated idea. Samsung offers 256 gigabytes of onboard storage on the S10 e. They also allow for an SD card to be placed inside the phone next to the SIM card for added expandable memory up to 512GB.

And while most people don't really need any sort of high memory allocation nowadays because of Google photos or cloud account or Microsoft OneDrive or Spotify or Pandora or what have you because everything is stored in the cloud. Anybody who is trying to save things on their phone has typically already backing it up to a PC and external hard drive an OTG flash drive or the cloud.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Ya, the more the merrier. What I like about the Pixel is that Google seems to have a good track record with updates. Back in the early years of smartphones I’ve got an LG that was updated for just one year. It wasn’t long before it no longer could run the apps I bought it for. But I like keeping my stuff for as long as possible, hence why I still was using a phone from 2014 up until now..

For an example, Apple’s update policy is almost enough to make me change to iOS, like the iPhone SE 2020. But there is at least one app (Torque Pro) I use that is not available for iPhone and I really like having a headphone jack.

So, phone for under $500 that’s going to get 3 years of updates and has a headphone jack brought me to the Pixel 4a.

But yes, if the Pixel line of phones had expandible storage they’d be about the best phones out there.