Question

Wrong time on incoming texts

Badge

After the last OTA system update a few days ago, all my incoming texts have the wrong time, it’s GMT instead of using my time zone.  The phone time is correct, the time zone is correct, and my outgoing messages have the correct time, only the incoming texts are wrong.  Any ideas?  Android 12

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Try a different SMS app and then you can find out if it's the os or the app.

@russff99 mine is doing the same thing, my incoming text messages since the update are showing 7 hours ahead. And it all started after the update. 

I restarted my phone and now the text messages are coming in correctly. 

It looks to me like T-Mobile has one of their SMS servers set to UTC. My wife & I are randomly getting messages that are 7 hours off which is GMT (UTC) but not daylight savings time. Some are correct, some are not. Which tells me they have at least one server set to UTC.

It wouldn’t be a big deal, except that it puts new messages up before previous messages that have the correct time.

Any way we can get you folks at T-Mobile to fix this? Easy fix guys.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

and the above mentioned restart of the phone or network reset has not fixed it?

this is a peer to peer site with a handful of moderators/admins to keep the site in order only..they do not have account access

Mine just started doing this yesterday. I cleared the cache and restarted the phone with no luck 

If anyone gets a solution, let me know. It's driving my husband crazy 

Has anyone heard anything from T-Mobile?  I noticed this about 2 weeks ago and its driving me crazy.

Mine are still doing this as of last night on some incoming texts. Deleted ALL my texts, restarted my phone several times, and it still has not resolved the issue. 

Since the last update. My phone has the wrong date. Messages are showing 12/31/1969. This is random on incoming messages, but has happened on a daily basis. Have not discovered a solution. Anyone else experience this?

I have had same problem since last update but only Android phones are showing incorrect message times. Frustrating!!!!

I just observed the problem this morning, and only on texts from someone in a different (3 hours ahead) time zone.  Tried a restart, but that hasn’t fixed it.  Any other ideas?  (I hate clearing cache -- it’s usually a pain, and all it does is get rid of passwords without solving the problem.)

Samsung Galaxy S22 here - Been having these issues recently as well. Restarted my phone, cleared cache, only seems to be a temporary fix.

@russff99 mine is doing the same thing, my incoming text messages since the update are showing 7 hours ahead. And it all started after the update. 

I restarted my phone and now the text messages are coming in correctly. 

Ty, restarting my phone fixed this issue for me

A MI NO ME RECONOCE EL 5G DESPUES DE LA ACTUALIZACION. 

Following. My incoming texts are all 7 hours ahead. 

Started having same issue all of a sudden. 

Restart didn't work so I turned the phone off and turned it on and it seems to have fixed the issue.

My Samsung S9 also has inaccurate time stamps. They are accurate most of the time. However, occasionally to frequently, the time stamp shows a time several hours into the future. There is no consistency. This can occur from different senders and at different times. It can occur in one to one texts and in group texts. Hopefully, someone can figure it out. Perhaps, it is the Apple network and the Android wrecking havoc with each other.

Badge

This is obviously not a phone issue.  Too many different phones experiencing the same random issue points to an issue with the T-Mobile servers.  Please T-Mobile, get this straightened out, it’s been months!

Some text from the same person shows correct time then other text shows wrong time. It is PM here and a couple of texts from same person and same phone came in showing AM times and show up at the top of the messages. Other conversations from this person came in with correct time. All on the same day. T-Mobile needs to get their act together!!!!!

Anybody found anything that works to fix this? 

So frustrating.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Texting is what I use my phone for 99% of the time, so I know how important it is that it works properly. It is especially weird that the time and date are correct on the device, but not on incoming messages only. Text messages are a relatively simple technology, but there are still many variables that work together to make them work. I think of it as cogs in a watch; if one cog is even slightly off, it can cause the watch to stop working. 

The suggestions that were provided here are a great start, but more steps can be found on our Support site. T-Mobile | Messaging and Email troubleshooting. One step that often gets overlooked is deleting as many messages as possible (all of them if you can). Some important information could be in some of those messages, so you may want to back them up or take some screenshots of them before you delete everything. Deleting old messages after doing the other troubleshooting steps is important because it ensures that you don’t have any residual issues lurking in the shadows. 

Hope this helps.