Solved

Yes or No, T-Mobile:  Will The Galaxy S4 Get a Lollipop update, or not?

You've ignored this question in other threads, so I thought I'd start a new one.

I can't wait to see the standard responses which answer nothing.  But who knows, maybe you'll actually treat us with some respect and answer this very simple question.

icon

Best answer by smplyunprdctble 27 July 2015, 20:36

I've said this in several threads, not sure if it's in any of the threads you've looked at... but, here goes..

T-Mobile will NOT communicate software updates except through the Community-2444 page.

If it's there, yay, it's been announced!

If it's not there, you won't get a yes or no -- it's usually because the folks at the support level truly have no idea whether or not a device will be updated or not, so they cannot give you an answer.

View original

86 replies

Userlevel 6

I've said this in several threads, not sure if it's in any of the threads you've looked at... but, here goes..

T-Mobile will NOT communicate software updates except through the Community-2444 page.

If it's there, yay, it's been announced!

If it's not there, you won't get a yes or no -- it's usually because the folks at the support level truly have no idea whether or not a device will be updated or not, so they cannot give you an answer.

based on your answer t-mobile, and with the MEDIA asking the same question, your arrogance is showing.  You may have been able to get customers to switch with gimmicky sales tricks well guess what?  your trick bag is empty, your service still sucks and the nickname T-maybe is for real.. as in maybe you'll have a signal and maybe not.  Maybe you'll get a software update, maybe not.. As a customer over the last year and a half.. I'm done.  I'm done waiting, I'm done with the talk about improvements in dropped calls and nothing changes.. you guys are a 3rd rate nobody network.. for the money, anyone is better off with ATT and Verizon.  Tired of the lack of service and the attitude of "shut up little customer" when asking about when we can get a simple *&^%%&&^^!!  update!  Done.  Jumping ship.. Later Tmaybe.. maybe next time.  

The really sad thing is, they're not even bothering to respond with

worthless non-answers anymore.

It is sad.. I've invested a ton of money into my Galaxy S4 and now I can't even use the 64 GB SD card as Samsung restricted use in the last update but then reversed and "fixed" this in the latest version which T-Maybe refuses to release for people.  Great job guys!  I can't even take pictures with the built in camera and have those saved to the SD card... I've basically tried and ended up wasting my time and losing like 50 shots.  Thanks T-Maybe!  And Adios losers!

Userlevel 6

T-Force gets around to posts in a "how long has it been since activity happened" order -- meaning any time someone bumps the post, whether it be with ryan717's response yesterday or folks saying "bump", it gets put to the bottom of the review list.

So, that's why their "Keep your eye on the Community-2444 page" comment hasn't made it here yet.

Where is the T-Mobile Galaxy S4 Lollipop Update?

http://www.androidorigin.com/t-mobile-galaxy-s4-lollipop-update-android-5-0-release/

Media asking What's up with T-Mobile?! 

Just got a customer satisfaction call from T-Mobile. The rep told me that

if the S4 hasn't been updated yet, she "doubts that it will be". She said

she saw no indication that an update is being worked on. Then she proceeded

to try to upgrade me to an S5 or S6.

I told her that I and others suspect T-Mobile is trying to force S4 owners

into an upgrade by not providing a software upgrade. She had no answer for

that.

Thank You for posting that!  That seals it for me.. I'm done with T-mobile.  My phone's paid off, I'm outta this s*** network.  And I'm telling everyone I know to do the same.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Carriers don't make money like people perceived they do. They make the same regardless if you have a Moto Cliq or a Galaxy S6. However manufacturers would rather have you keep buying devices every year as they only make money if people buy.

Now with that said... There is an official email that was stated to someone and to the FCC that said Samsung suggested not to update the S4. T-Mobile opted not to have Samsung update it. Alas the problems the S4 probably made sense why Samsung said not to.

that doesn't help me with My S4 and it's SD card Non functioning problem with the restrictions.. my S4 is practically useless.  Either way.. bad decision by T-mobile.  I'm out.. I tried to have patience with em, but they just don't offer what the other guys are... so too little too late.  excuses are like a** holes everyone has one and they all stink 😊

What email? And what problems with the S4 are you talking about? Why would

Samsung suggest not upgrading the tmobile S4, but then upgrade every other

carrier's S4?

that doesn't help me with My S4 and it's SD card Non functioning problem with the restrictions.. my S4 is practically useless.  Either way.. bad decision by T-mobile.  I'm out.. I tried to have patience with em, but they just don't offer what the other guys are... so too little too late.  excuses are like ***  holes everyone has one and they all stink

I might be right behind you. I might also dump android for an iPhone. I'm

tired of waiting forever to get an update - or never getting one at all.

IMO, timely OS updates are iPhone's greatest strength - and Android's

greatest weakness.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Go through the other S4 upgrade threads. It's been posted more than once.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Google changed how SD cards work. Samsung complied with them even thought they initially didn't. That's on Samsung not T-Mobile.

wow anything to defend T-Maybe eh?  Really?!  lol  This issue was FIXED in the update.  The Same update T-Maybe Refused to release for THEIR CUSTOMERS!  Purposefully trying to force an upgrade.. that's called bait and switch tactics.. and NO they don't win points for that!  Stop being an apologist for stupidity. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Apple is far from timely. It just appears timely. If you ever done ADC you will see what I am talking about. Apple waits to release updates until all these devices are ready. So some devices are done 3-4 months before any other device but they don't release them. It gives the feel they are timely.

Yes i have an iPhone (every single one of them. Getting the next one too), and various Android devices. Sometimes perception wins out.

IKR? Why are "customers" defending T-Mobile on its disregard for its

customers?

I still haven't heard any rational explanation for why T-Mobile isn't

updating the S4.

Userlevel 6

You DO realize T-Mobile is in a "darned if they do, darned if they don't" position on this, right?

If you look at other threads regarding the various Lollipop updates for other devices, you get a lot of angry people because it kills battery life, or gets hot, or doesn't have a feature they wanted, or whatever reason to complain about.  These people shun T-Mobile for releasing a version of the OS they feel wasn't built / tested properly.

On the other hand, you have people who are demanding an update and want it now and are upset because they can't get information on the update.  These are generally (not always) the people who are first to complain when something wasn't tested appropriately.  Remember, T-Mobile has features such as WiFi Calling that has to be baked in.  It's been previously stated in this thread that Samsung apparently suggested to not update the S4.  Has anyone looked at S4 threads for other carriers to determine if the update is working well or not?  My uneducated guess is there's probably problems (which would bring out the first scenario if released).

Companies don't say "we're working on XXX" for a reason.  The primary reasons are if an agreement falls through or if a date could slip.  But, equally valid is the people you're asking truly don't know.  I'm imagining there's a team at T-Mobile who's sole focus is the software updates.  These people have no interaction with Customer Support, T-Force, nor these forums most likely, so the customer-facing folks don't have information to divulge.

Think of it this way -- if you walked into Disneyland and asked a Cast Member, "Will Miley Cyrus be in the next season of Once Upon a Time?"  The Cast Member can't say yes nor no because they truly don't know.  There's been no official announcement that Miley is going to be in OUaT, but at the same time, there's been no official announcement that she's not going to be in an episode.  For all anyone knows, Billy Ray could be talking to someone to get her a cameo or something in episode 3.

I really have to wonder at the mentality of someone who would go to such

great lengths to defend T-Mobile for not providing an update.

Even if what you say is true, then why are they providing updates for

other phones, but not the S4?

Userlevel 6

So, let's look at the 5.1.1 update for another Samsung device...

Thread-95512‌ (MANY threads of this)

Thread-94537

Thread-94907

That's a small sample with posts in the past 24 hours.  There's many many more out there.

So, if Samsung hasn't gotten the update right for other devices, do you want it for this one?

You do understand that those are INDIVIDUAL complaints, right? People have

problems with every update on every device. Apple forums light up with

complaints after every update.

So once again, why is the S4 so different from every other device that

T-Mobile won't provide the lollipop update?

There are some problems with the current android version on the S4 that

were never fixed. Hopefully a lollipop update would resolve them.

Userlevel 6

Those "individual complaints" are a large theme across the posts.  I grabbed a couple random ones in the past 24 hours since I'm not going to go back for several pages of threads (I do have a real job that I procrastinate from in these forums occasionally)

I watch the posts in these forums and have seen those same complaints since the update across several threads (since people don't seem to go into threads here and say "me too" often).

As has been said across a number of threads, if/when we have updates on upcoming software updates we put them in the Community-2444‌ area.

I'm not going to speculate on if or when any device will receive an update since I simply am not part of that decision making process. From what I can see, the majority of the devices that have been upgraded so far have all launched within the last 12-16 months.

Updated: Forgot to say that as I mentioned in another thread, I just got back from vacation (been gone since June) so I've sent the question off to see if those in the know can share something definitive even if the answer is that it won't be getting it so we can move forward.

But the other carriers have upgraded their "old" S4s. So what's T-Mobile's

excuse?

Another big "screw you" from T-Mobile to their customers. Just like the S3.

You should be ashamed of yourselves.

I think at this point anyone with a T-Mobile S4 should just assume it won't

be updated.

T-Mobile's attitude more than anything else is what has me looking at other

carriers.