Question

MLB TV doesnt work through 5g home internet

Badge

Trying to watch baseball games and they won't load when I'm connected to the tmobile 5g home internet. Works fine on my other wifi connection (I am testing the home internet device, so I still have both) and on my actual mobile network, but throws an error if I am connected to the 5g home internet network. 

I have tried on my phone, laptop, and firetv stick...all act the same. Can anyone help?

22 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

... throws an error if I am connected to the 5g home internet network.

What error is thrown?  Details help.

Watched MLB.TV yesterday, April 9, streamed from Tmobile Internet with no problems.

Today, April 10, can only watch on my phone with wifi off (not connected to my Tmobile Internet). All devices through Tmobile Internet are not loading. (and I made sure to stop the stream on my phone before trying again on other devices).

I’m in Twin Cities, attempting to watch Cubs-Brewers (outside of the blackout for those 2 teams, and watched their game yesterday with no issues.)

When attempting to start mlb.tv from iPhone app getting error message: 

MLB.TV

There was a problem.

Please try again. Contact

support if this problem

persists.

Also attempted to login through Apple TV with MLB app on that device:

“The content you requested is not available.

Please try again later. Contact support if this problem persists.” 

Attempted on Mac with Chrome and get message:

{"status":406,"message":"Not Acceptable"}

Hope this helps to resolve the issue. Can’t believe Tmobile would partner with MLB.TV and not have it work with Tmobile Internet.

MLB.TV seems confused about my location when I’m on home internet.  I’m not sure how to fix it.  It seems to think it is blacked out in my area.

We were trying to watch the Cubs vs cardinals tonight and it wouldn't let us on Tmobile internet. If we turned off wi-fi we could. Plus, the game was a free game. Looking into why this is happening.

I spoke to texh support yesterday and they said they have a “known issue” with some streaming channels due to the inability to furnish an IP Address location, or something like that.  I asked them to ha e someone contact me to  tell me what the fix or the prognosis is.  Im gkad Im in my free month so i can cancel if it doesn’t work.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I spoke to texh support yesterday and they said they have a “known issue” with some streaming channels due to the inability to furnish an IP Address location, or something like that.  I asked them to ha e someone contact me to  tell me what the fix or the prognosis is.  Im gkad Im in my free month so i can cancel if it doesn’t work.

That appears to be a legit explanation. All major league sports have local broadcasting policies and restrictions so the apps need to know where you are physically watching, at least within a zip code of accuracy. On smartphones that’s not an issue because the apps rely on GPS location. For home internet, apps started using the public IP address of your router to give an approximate location since most laptops and PCs don’t have GPS capability. For TMO gateway device, it’s basically a cellphone and even has GPS built in so that TMO can make sure you don’t use your gateway outside your home.

The way the cell networks work makes public IP geolocation extremely inaccurate and can be 100s of miles away form your physical location. Even as I type this, my public TMO IP says I am 180 miles south of where I am physically located.

There are a couple solutions for this:

• TMO figure out how to assign public IPs that are accurate to your physical location. TMO already knows where you are because the gateways have GPS.
  • Browsers and apps abandon public IP for geolocation and use GPS instead. There are apps that do this. For example on YoutubeTV, when you want to set your geolocation from your laptop or streaming device, it will ask you to login to your smartphone app so that it can access GPS location.

If TMO really wants to replace cable based home internet, they absolutely need to find a solution soon. 

T-Mobile doesn’t seem to have a fix or a workaround yet. Which means it isn’t really a full internet service.   Its upload speed is also pretty limited which doesnt affect me much yet, but could in the future.

Very disappointed having switched from cox to T-Mobile internet to find that mlb.com won’t work. 

The fix is to use a wireless router which does have a fixed IP address.  I used an old router and now it works fine.  I just sign into the router’s wifi signal amd it send the IP address through the T-Moblle modem.   Its a good, cheap workaround, but hopefully Tmobile will fix the issue in the next generation of modems.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

The fix is to use a wireless router which does have a fixed IP address.  I used an old router and now it works fine.  I just sign into the router’s wifi signal amd it send the IP address through the T-Moblle modem.   Its a good, cheap workaround, but hopefully Tmobile will fix the issue in the next generation of modems.

That does not solve the issue in this thread. The IP on this topic is the public IP address assigned to the Tmobile gateway. This IP cannot be changed by your router. The IP your router assigns is your own network and is hidden from the public. You can verify this by using an website that shows you what your public IP address is. You will also see that the geolocation on your public IP address isn’t accurate. Try this website:

https://whatismyipaddress.com

It absolutely fixed the problem for me on MLB.TV.  As long as i sign i through my wirelessly router, which has its own static IP Address, MLB.TV can fix the location.  I can’t promise it works for all location-necessary services but it definitely does for MLB.TV.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

It absolutely fixed the problem for me on MLB.TV.  As long as i sign i through my wirelessly router, which has its own static IP Address, MLB.TV can fix the location.  I can’t promise it works for all location-necessary services but it definitely does for MLB.TV.

How are you watching MLB.TV? If it is from your smartphone, there are no issues since those use GPS for geolocation. If you are watching from a streaming device like Roku, that is were people on this thread are having problems since the MLB app tries to use public IP address for geolocation.

I watch through roku on my television 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I watch through roku on my television 

Does the zip code location in your Roku MLB app match your physical zip code? If yes, then you are fortunate that your Tmobile public IP happens to in the same area. Your router’s static IP address has nothing to do with geolocation which you can confirm by checking your public IP on the website referenced above. It is impossible for any app or website to see your router’s IP address since it is behind the firewall of your Tmobile gateway.

I’m not sure. How it works, but i do know that MLB.TV does NOT work when using either my phone or Roku if I sign in through the Tmobile Modem, but both wotrk if i sign into the network through my wireless netgear router. The router is connected to the tmobile modem via ethernet cable.  This was a workaround  suggested to me by a Tmobile tech support person, though several others had not provided ANY solution.  I think it is worth trying if someone has an old router as it works for me.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I’m not sure. How it works, but i do know that MLB.TV does NOT work when using either my phone or Roku if I sign in through the Tmobile Modem, but both wotrk if i sign into the network through my wireless netgear router. The router is connected to the tmobile modem via ethernet cable.  This was a workaround  suggested to me by a Tmobile tech support person, though several others had not provided ANY solution.  I think it is worth trying if someone has an old router as it works for me.

The geolocation is not about not being able to access the MLB app. It is about not being able to lock in the correct geolocation so you don’t get blackout in your local area.

What you have fixed is another issue. I don’t doubt what you are experiencing but you were telling people on this thread that they can set a static public IP address by using a separate router and that is technically false. Static public IP address can only be set by Tmobile on their gateway and currently is only available to business internet customers.

You are likely correct.  I was just repeating what I thought i had been told by the Tmobile tech, and relaying my experience.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

You are likely correct.  I was just repeating what I thought i had been told by the Tmobile tech, and relaying my experience.

No worries. Tmobile tech support is highly questionable and very confusing at times.

Badge +1

MLB.TV

There was a problem.

Please try again. Contact

support if this problem

persists.

I get this as well but it is intermittent. I did a force stop on the MLB TV app and it worked once. Toggled back to my cable connection and launched the app with no issues. Changed to the T-mobile AP and it worked but it won’t last. The same thing happened when viewing the live NBC app. It hangs because it doesn’t know where you are connecting from.

This “service” is not ready for primetime. The speed isn’t there and support is horrid.

I’ve also run into this issue. Pretty frustrating as MLB.tv is one of the perks I enjoy most about being on Tmobile. The speeds I get are fantastic, and the service has been great so far, but my public IP address being all the way in Chicago really hinders my ability to watch Cubs baseball in Arkansas. Maybe Tmobile can revisit with MLB about their sponsorship and get them to allow their mobile internet users to not be blacked out? Sounds like a good selling point for their home internet service. Or just fix the public IP issue..whichever would be great.

We are able to watch some games on the TV app, but not others. Even games in the same series! For example,  today's Pirates game  should be viewable as we a re in SC, but it is coming up blocked. MLB support (which is terrible) told us with the T-mobile free deal we can only watch on our phones.  So today we are casting the game from phone to the TV. Weird thing is, my husband's phone can get the game but my phone says its blocked.

Having the same problem with Bally Sports. I’m in WI and TMO had me in MN,ND, & OH. Could not log in to Bally Sports. Hooked back up to Spectrum and all is good at an extra $30 a month.                    Looks like I'm returning the Gateway to TMO.