Solved

1 missed call for every answered call

• 12 January 2017
  • 16 replies

Apple iPhone 6 Plus IOS 10.2

For every call I receive it also logs one missed call.

I tried turning off wifi calling and that did not help.

I have also reset network settings (Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings)

This has been happening since at least Nov 15, 2016.  I am not sure when I put the 10.2 OS upgrade on my phone, but it might have been about this time.

Thanks in advance

Brent

icon

Best answer by brenttempleton63 6 February 2017, 17:58

Hi Marisa,

Since I turned off the "Calls on other devices" setting, I have not seen this happen.  So I have just turned that feature back on and will have to see.  I unfortunately don't get very many calls, so it might take a few days to see if it comes back.  There was a minor IOS Update that has been applied also since we started this discussion.  If I see the duplicated calls after re-enabling this the "Calls on Other Devices" feature, then I will restore from backup.

Thanks for not forgetting about me.

Brent

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 5

Hmmm.

Are you using any third party calling apps? Does it show the missed call as the same person who called you?

-Lauren

No third party calling apps.

Yes, same person shows as missed as the received call.

It happens most of the time, but there are some calls that this did not happen on.

It is interesting....

Userlevel 5

Thanks for clarifying. Do you happen to notice if you are having this issue when you are in an area that has low coverage?

No has happened in various locations, I do believe some in low reception areas, but also some at my work where I normally have at least 3 bars.  I have turned off wifi calling, that didn't seem to make much of a difference.  Recently I turned off  "Calls on Other Devices" in the phone settings.  I have not had it happen since, but I have only received a handful of calls.  When calling myself from a another phone I have never been able to recreate it.  I almost wonder if it has something to do with when the device is locked and waking up or something.

Userlevel 5

Hmm, I think you were on to something with that "Calls from other devices" thing. Do you know if the calls that you were getting a missed call notification on happened to be from other iPhone users that perhaps called you using FaceTime Audio? If so, do you have any other iOS devices where you are signed in with your Apple ID?

I do not know if callers were on iPhones or not, but I suspect not.  Some that showed missed were from 800 numbers and people that I know do not have iPhones.

thanks

Userlevel 5

Thanks for clarifying. I am not entirely sure what could be causing this 😥 I think we may need to do a restore on your device through iTunes. You can follow these steps for instructions on how to complete the reset as well as back up your phone.

Userlevel 6

Hey @brenttempleton63‌!  We just wanted to check in and see if you'd tried the reset that Chris recommended.  Did you have a chance to complete it?  If so, is your phone still missing calls?  Please let us know if you're still having problems!

- Marissa

‌Hi,

Ufortunately I have not had the chance to do the reset.  I have not had a problem since I turned off the hand-off function.  Which I would like to turn back on, but haven't.   There has also been an IOS patch update released since we started this thread, not sure if it might have an impact.

If I reset my phone, do I need to treat it as a new phone and re-install all of my apps or can I do a restore from backup, that will make a big difference for when I can do this.  I assumed I need to treat it as a new phone to make sure everything is cleared out.

Thanks for checking

Brent

Userlevel 5

You can restore from your backup 😊 I know it is a pain doing a full reset but the restore from backup will be much easier.

Userlevel 6

Hi Brent!  We're just touching base to see how everything's going here.  Were you able to backup, reset and restore your phone successfully?  Did it resolve the calling issues you've been having?

- Marissa

Hi Marisa,

Since I turned off the "Calls on other devices" setting, I have not seen this happen.  So I have just turned that feature back on and will have to see.  I unfortunately don't get very many calls, so it might take a few days to see if it comes back.  There was a minor IOS Update that has been applied also since we started this discussion.  If I see the duplicated calls after re-enabling this the "Calls on Other Devices" feature, then I will restore from backup.

Thanks for not forgetting about me.

Brent

Userlevel 6

Of course!  Thank *you* for the update.  Glad to hear things are running more smoothly now!  Please keep us posted if the issue returns.

- Marissa

Not a fan of necro-threading but needed to add a "me too" here.  I'm a recent sub to T-Mo coming from one of those other carriers after 10+ years, although I can safely say I never noticed this annoyance there.

No doubt this has to do with "calls on other devices" which I use a lot for my work.  It's so much nicer to be able to make calls from my desktop Mac with my comfy headset which I'm wearing anyway than it is to hop on and off the mobile phone.

Anyway this is my observation, and the supposed conditions for this to happen:

• Calls on other Devices enabled, with at least one device actually set up to receive the calls (in my case, a single iMac).
  • That same device is also upgraded to Wi-Fi calling, thus the iPhone doesn't actually need to be turned on and on the same wifi network as the other calling device.
  • Call is received & answered on iPhone when iPhone is out and about, i.e., on cellular network, no where near the same Wifi network as the other calling device.
  • When that call is received, the other calling device is also turned on, logged in on the same iCloud account, etc.

After I return home and sit in front of the other calling device (iMac), there's actually a notification message about a missed call.  But it's bogus.  In the FaceTime app on the iMac (which handles the phone calls), the call is in the recents list but is in fact NOT marked as missed.  There's only one entry in the call log for the call and it is not colored red (missed calls are red).

On the iPhone itself, on the other hand, there are two entries for the call at the same time: one red and one not red.  Basically a Schrödinger call -- both missed and not missed at the same time.

I would rather NOT have to disable Calls on other Devices because this feature is actually very handy. (Making calls with nothing more than an Apple Watch, a WiFi network and some bluetooth earbuds is pretty sweet.)  I would rather that T-Mobile and Apple puts their collective heads together and figure out what is going on here, identify the problem, and fix it. ;-)

FIXIT! (SNL Oscar Rogers) - YouTube

iOS 10.3.1, iPhone 7

macOS 10.12.4, 2012 iMac

Cheers,

Keith

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Try backing up your iPhone and do a factory reset. Don't restore using your backup. If the problem goes away then we know it's a setting or software bug that is happening. If you restore after that and it comes back then we know it's a setting or something is corrupted.

If all else fails take your phone to Apple and ask to use your sim in one of their phones and see if the problem happens going over. If it goes away it has something to do with your phone.

Has there been a solution to this yet? I also had to turn off "calls from other devices" on my iPhone settings to fix the delayed text messages and missed phone calls I never received on my iPhone.  I would also love to turn this feature back on as it super useful to me.