Solved

Brand new iPhone on wifi shows 0 bytes of data used but Tmobile website data used keeps going up

• 6 February 2017
  • 4 replies

• First activity
  • 3 replies

I have a brand new iPhone (only default apps installed) and new T-mobile prepaid plan.  The phone has been on my wifi its entire life of a few days and shows 0 bytes of data used in cellular settings.  Every time I log on to my.tmobile website the data used goes up (only when the phone is on).  Why?

icon

Best answer by snn_555 12 February 2017, 21:26

The phone will always use some cellular data even on wifi.  This is a requirement by some apps and portions of the OS.  This will always happen after a reboot until wifi is connected.

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6

Congratulations on the new phone, @msmt‌!  Can I clarify your situation a bit?  Right now, do you have Cellular Data turned off on your iPhone?  How much data does the site say you're using when you log in?  Thanks!

- Marissa

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

The phone will always use some cellular data even on wifi.  This is a requirement by some apps and portions of the OS.  This will always happen after a reboot until wifi is connected.

‌Thanks for replying marissa and @snn_555  .  Yes I do have cellular data on.  I left it on just because I was curious about this. The amount on the web site goes up a little bit every so often while it is on.  It's nothing serious just a small amount.  I'm just curious why the iPhone reports 0 bytes used but the web site obviously records a small amount of usage.  Now, after about a week the web site says 4.3MB used and the phone now says just a few KB used by system services from when I lost my wifi connection for about 10 minutes.  Again nothing serious, just curious.

‌Thanks for replying marissa and @snn_555  .  Yes I do have cellular data on.  I left it on just because I was curious about this. The amount on the web site goes up a little bit every so often while it is on.  It's nothing serious just a small amount.  I'm just curious why the iPhone reports 0 bytes used but the web site obviously records a small amount of usage.  Now, after about a week the web site says 4.3MB used and the phone now says just a few KB used by system services from when I lost my wifi connection for about 10 minutes.  Again nothing serious, just curious.