Solved

Can I bring a Verizon iPhone 5s to TMobile?

• 12 September 2014
  • 4 replies

I have an iPhone 5S, and two of my other family members have a 5C and 5, we want to switch to TMobile for unlimited data, and we know that TMobile will let you bring in your own phones. On the other hand Verizon is a CDMA and Tmobile is a GSM, but according to another article on the forums here, all LTE smart phones from Verizon have GSM capabilities as said here, "All of Verizon Wireless' LTE phones have to be unlocked when sold in order to comply with the terms of their recent acquisition of some 700MHz spectrum." So what I want to know is, can we get Tmobile SIM cards for the 5S 5C and 5 and use them with Tmobile, and is Tmobile still paying ETFs?

icon

Best answer by michael60013 19 September 2014, 16:24

I did exactly this.  I have an iPhone 5S, was on Verizon.  I tried the 7 Day Test drive and was convinced.  Since, I purchases my iPhone 5S at full retail from the Apple store and I was no longer under a contract, I was able to get a new SIM from Tmobile and everything worked great.

View original

4 replies

Hi @joeytheboey!

We would love to have your business! If your devices are SIM unlocked you can use the devices on our network. Please reference the link below for more details on bringing your own device for use on our network. Any specific questions regarding frequencies and compatible technologies we would recommend contacting your device manufacturer for further assistance.

Bring Your Own Device: BYOD

And yes - we are still helping our customers break away from their current carriers by helping to reimburse their ETF's! The basic idea is you port your existing number from your current carrier, trade in an eligible device from your current carrier, and purchase a device from T-Mobile. You can find more details on this process at the link below.

About ETF reimbursements

So would we be able to trade in our Verizon iPhones and get credit for T-Mobile ones?

I did exactly this.  I have an iPhone 5S, was on Verizon.  I tried the 7 Day Test drive and was convinced.  Since, I purchases my iPhone 5S at full retail from the Apple store and I was no longer under a contract, I was able to get a new SIM from Tmobile and everything worked great.

That's absolutely right!  You can check out all the FAQs about coming on over here: https://www.switch2tmobile.com/