Solved

Can new iPad Pros be used as Hotspots?

Can the new iPad Pro models be used as mobile hotspots?  The online shopping and customer service chat function says no, but this page says yes Smartphone Mobile Hotspot: Apple iPad Pro 10.5"   Which is right?  Customer service chat most unhelpfully suggested I switch to an Android device, even though many of my apps are not available for Android devices, so are useless for me.

icon

Best answer by tmo_amanda 18 August 2017, 21:14

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

To my understanding yes, you go to your setting and active it there.

Thanks, but I need a definitive answer either from a TMobile employee or from someone who actually has one of these and has tried to use this function.  I'm not going to spend $1200 on a new iPad until I get a definitive answer.

Userlevel 3

Hey, @magenta2407274!

$1200 is a lot to spend on the new iPad Pro so I understand wanting to be 100% sure that the hotspot feature will work. I just personally tested this out on my iPad Pro and I can confirm that the hotspot feature works.

Thanks, Is it one of the latest models that just came out within the last month or so?  That's what I'm looking at getting.  I want to get it to substitute for a TMobile phone I never use.  I have a separate Verizon work phone , but want to make sure I can use wi-fi calling via the iPad if I get a better TMobile signal than I do on Verizon (or whoever is providing the signal when roaming internationally).  It is very confusing that the online ordering (and employee chat representative) says no tethering is available for these models, when there are contradictory online instructions. 

Userlevel 3

It sure is! 😊 I purchased mine through Apple but am using a T-Mobile SIM. As far as WiFi calling goes, you'll be able to make and receive calls via FaceTime. You'll need to be on a Mobile Internet plan or our system will register that you're using a tablet and not allow you to make or receive calls that aren't FaceTime. That's not to say that 3rd party calling apps that use data for the calls (like Skype) won't work.

Do you know where I can find information on Mobile Internet plans?   I want to replace my phone with a tablet and don't need to keep the phone number.  I'd also like to take advantage of the 55+ plan, if it's available.  Or can a T-Mobile One or One Plus be used with just a tablet and no phone?  The website isn't really conducive to finding any of this information easily. 

Can I just use my phone's Sim Card in the tablet instead of changing plans?  I've got a One Plus plan.  I know I can't use an ipad to make cellphone calls.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@magenta2407274 the plan may not be compatible... the draw back of using CDMA/WCDMA/LTE devices. Years ago when it was just GSM, then you could do just that.

Your answer is NOT correct.  I bought a new 10.5" iPad Pro at the Apple Store, ordered a new TMobile Sim and added a Mobile Internet One plan to my existing account.  I finally got the new SIM in the mail today and installed it.  It installed software changes.  I am UNABLE to turn on the hotspot.  It is grayed out and not selectable as an option. Is there something else I need to do to use my iPad as a hotspot??

Ignore my last post.  It works now after a device reboot.

Badge +1

Don't be fooled.  The iPad does have a functional hotspot, but only delivers minimal throughput.  0.52 mbps download and 0.46 upload speed?  You've got to be kidding.  Forget using it for web browsing or streaming.  It's useless.  I found out the hard way: $500 down the drain because of a misinformed or disingenuous store rep.  Two of us repeated explained what we needed and why and he assured us this would work.  It doesn't.  Hate to say it, but T-Mobile scammed us.   Not good business practice.

Same thing with iPhone. The hotspot works but it is so slow and unreliable that is completely useless. Both T-Mobile and Apple support deny that a problem exists. Who needs 5G? Just make 4G actually work please.