Question

Cellular Data Does NOT work on iOS 14.6

Badge

Right after upgrading my iPhone 12 Pro Max to iOS 14.6, I have lost cellular data. I called TMobile customer service technician who sent me to the store. The store representative replaced my old SIM card with a new one and talked with a technician on the phone for half an hour, still couldn’t solve the problem. I reset my 12 Pro Max to factory setting, unfortunately, the iOS stays at 14.6. I have to put the SIM card to my old iPhone Xs Max on 14.4 and use my old phone. 

Is there anyone else having the same problem?

13 replies

I have exactly same issue on my iphone 12 and has been dealing with tmobile for several days.

here's what I have found out. 1. if you have a No Credit Check Plan, change it to essential or whatever other plan. After they switch it and you restart the phone, the data is back. 2. stop using 5G. Change to lte under "cecullar options". I switched my plan from NCC to essentials yesterday, I got my data back. Then this morning I lost it again. I change the cecullar option to lte, the 4G comes, and it's way faster than the 5G I used to have. WHAT A JOKE! 

Check this out, a lot of complaining.

After all these trips to store and phone calls with the rep, I finally resolved this all by myself. The "genius" at store was scoffing at me when I asked to switch my NCC account to essential, saying "I don't think it's gonna work". 

Badge

It is frustrating. I am very mad. I have a new SIM card from TMobile and a “new” iPhone Pro Max from Apple repair and still no data. Why do I need to change my original data plan to the new one which potentially resumes the data service I have paid for? It does not make any sense!!! 

It’s not a no-credit plan issue, a SIM issue and is probably not a 14.6 issue. Fact is neither t-mobile nor Apple know the cause, nor the fix. Apple in Las Vegas told me it passed their test and then said “next customer”. Apple in Ca. said she had seen many like it and tossed me a bone with a new replacement, which still doesn’t work. 

I have the same issue but my phone is iPhone 12 Pro Max. At first I though it have the problem with my carrier then I put my sim on Android is working fine. Then, I realized it not thing wrong with my carrier. The problem I have is the combination between T-mobile sim and iPhone12 Pro max (ios14.6). The iOS 14.6 seems not to working with 5G or LTE. Then, I download the newest version of iOS (14.7 beta).  Now it works (5g unreliably, LTE reliably). I hope my solution will help your guys. 

Always try simple things first (Im sure apple support and Tmobile will make you do them and send you through the loops)

I download the new version on the Apple Beta Software Program.

Badge

I have the same issue but my phone is iPhone 12 Pro Max. At first I though it have the problem with my carrier then I put my sim on Android is working fine. Then, I realized it not thing wrong with my carrier. The problem I have is the combination between T-mobile sim and iPhone12 Pro max (ios14.6). The iOS 14.6 seems not to working with 5G or LTE. Then, I download the newest version of iOS (14.7 beta).  Now it works (5g unreliably, LTE reliably). I hope my solution will help your guys. 

Always try simple things first (Im sure apple support and Tmobile will make you do them and send you through the loops)

Hey, thanks for letting me know. What price plan are you on? I have locked in a grandfathered “Simple Choice Promo” plan since 2014 or 2015. I believe it’s a no credit check plan for I haven’t been able to set up auto pay.

Hey, thanks for letting me know. What price plan are you on? I have locked in a grandfathered “Simple Choice Promo” plan since 2014 or 2015. I believe it’s a no credit check plan for I haven’t been able to set up auto pay.

I also have a no credit check plan

Badge

Here’s my speculation. It may be possible that the security features Apple introduces in iOS 14.6 checks one flag to determine whether the subscriber is authorized to have data service. Because we, the subscribers with no credit check plan, has the flag on due to no credit check, which fails the check and results in the failed authorization of getting data. Based on your experience with iOS 14.7 Beta, Apple may fix this bug partially. Is there any way to provide this feedback to Apple as a beta user?

This is absurd.  Wasted an hour and a half on the phone with T-Mobile.  Found on my own that turning off data roaming and switching from LTE to 4G gets me some (slow) mobile data. It shouldn’t take this long for T-Mobile and Apple to figure this out and there’s no excuse for releasing an iOS update with this significant of a bug.  The worst thing is Apple stopping signing earlier versions of iOS so there’s no way to go back to a version that works.

Steve Jobs must be spinning in his grave - “It just works” - NOT

Badge

This is absurd.  Wasted an hour and a half on the phone with T-Mobile.  Found on my own that turning off data roaming and switching from LTE to 4G gets me some (slow) mobile data. It shouldn’t take this long for T-Mobile and Apple to figure this out and there’s no excuse for releasing an iOS update with this significant of a bug.  The worst thing is Apple stopping signing earlier versions of iOS so there’s no way to go back to a version that works.

Steve Jobs must be spinning in his grave - “It just works” - NOT

Did you get some 4G data intermittently? Or steady 4G data? I would assume you have 12 Pro Max with no credit check plan.

I have an iPhone X.  Seem to be getting 4G fairly consistently in fixed location but coverage is lost when on the move.

Badge

I have an iPhone X.  Seem to be getting 4G fairly consistently in fixed location but coverage is lost when on the move.

iOS 14.7 was officially released yesterday. Have you got a chance to test this official release on your iPhone 12 for cellular data? I am still using my iPhone Xs Max on 14.4 to ensure I have data on the move.

I have not updated and probably won’t for some time.  My confidence in Apple is completely shot. I want to wait for feedback to ensure there’s not some even more severe bug in 14.7.  However, I will try to update before they stop signing 14.6 so I can roll back if it’s even worse than 14.6.   I waited too long to upgrade to 14.6 and was unable to roll back because they stopped signing the previous version.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have not updated and probably won’t for some time.   I want to wait for feedback to ensure there’s not some even more severe bug in 14.7.  However, I will try to update before they stop signing 14.6 so I can roll back if it’s even worse than 14.6.

https://www.gottabemobile.com/4-reasons-not-to-install-ios-14-11-reasons-you-should/?gbmsl=10

The 14.7 upgrade provided support for T-Mobile's standalone 5G network. This means you'll be able to connect to the carrier's 5G network without having to piggyback onto its LTE network. This should lead to better range and latency.