Solved

Contradictory info on bringing Verizon iPhone 6 onto T-Mobile

• 18 October 2014
  • 21 replies

Hi - I'm a T-Mobile customer preparing to buy an iPhone 6 Plus. I'm tempted to buy the (unlocked) Verizon version to use on T-Mobile because it is a "world phone" that has CDMA as well as GSM. I've seen contradictory information about whether there would be any drawbacks to doing this instead of buying an unlocked T-Mobile version from Apple.

This thread says a Verizon iPhone 6 on T-Mobile will experience slower LTE speeds:

How can I get my Verizon (unlocked) iPhone 6 to work with T-mobile's LTE network?

However, multiple other online conversations I've seen indicated it should work just fine.

I'm also trying to determine whether if I buy two Verizon iPhone 6 phones (for my wife and me) and we both use it on the T-Mobile network, we will get the HD Voice feature. T-Mobile says both phones need to be on the T-Mobile network to get HD Voice, but it isn't clear whether they both have to originally be T-Mobile phones. I know that HD Voice doesn't work across carriers because of different implementations, but I'm wondering if the Verizon iPhone itself implements this differently.

icon

Best answer by johnmed3 18 October 2014, 16:30

it should work fine, with t-mobile lte. the hd voice won't work as t-mobile bis the only one that has hd voice. the verizon models will not have the hd voice. you are probably better off getting the t-mobile version. 

View original

21 replies

it should work fine, with t-mobile lte. the hd voice won't work as t-mobile bis the only one that has hd voice. the verizon models will not have the hd voice. you are probably better off getting the t-mobile version. 

@johnmed3

That is interesting - what if one got the T-Mobile version of the phone from the Apple Store? Just asking for the sake of understanding at what point in the manufacturing process are the carrier or bandwidth specific changes made...

Thanks

not only is the iPhone 6 unlocked, but the t-mo... | Apple Support Communities

Apparently the iPhone 6 works on all US domestic carriers BUT Sprint

My whole family bought unlocked Verizon full price iphone 6's from the Apple Store and immediately took them to tmobile store for activation. They all were activated no problem.

the reason we did this is because we may to use Verizon in the future due to the intermittent wifi calling issues with tmobile, as my understanding is that unlocked gsm phones will not work on Verizon.

As for HD voice I am not 100% sure (is there a way to tell the call is HD or not besides how it sounds?)...whenever I make a call to a family member its crystal clear and sounds like hd voice in my own opinion.

Mine is the Verizon version as well and works with no issues.  I also am having problems with poor quality wifi calling.

@cdd543

To an extent the quality of the WiFi call may depend on your internet connection. Can you share the upload and download speeds on your connection?

i have plenty of bandwidth 120 down and 20 up. I've experienced this on multiple routers.

How did you get your wifi calling to work on your Verizon-branded iPhone 6? I go through the setting and "Allow wifi calling" feature but nothing happens. I called T-Mobile and they said it's because I have a Verizon iPhone 6.. it this true?

Jeez that's sad.  Settings/phone/wifi calls.

Yea I did the same exact thing and turned on the "Allow wifi calls" but it doesn't work. I tried restarting too but didn't seem to do anything. That's when I called T-Mobile and they basically said that must be the reason it doesn't work... weird.

I've used mine quite a bit.  What makes you think it isn't working?  There is no special notification like on an android phone.

When I turn on the wifi it doesn't connect to the "T-Mobile Wifi" network. I tried doing this when I get no service at my work place or even at home while being connected to the wifi network but it only shows that it's connected to a "T-Mobile" tower.. I did find a tweak though just now which I have to put the phone on airplane mode first then it will connect to T-Mobile Wifi.. not sure if it's a software/hardware issue with the phone but guess I can get to work now... just takes an extra step

There is no t-mobile wifi network.  You connect(sign in) to whatever wifi network is available and it will use that for calls and text.  It just shows tmo next to the wifi bars while still showing your cellular signal strength(dots).  Turn off cellular data(or airplane mode) while connected to wifi and try a call--should work fine.

Apple - iPhone 6 - View countries with supported LTE networks.

I was reading up on using my phone abroad and came upon this post - there is a PC Mag article that states that essentially the Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile phones are the same. The difference is the Sprint phone - I was kinda taken aback myself but there it is .....

I think that if you have wifi on with wifi calling enabled that it'll prioritize the wifi call over a cellular call.  It all looks the same on the handset.

Lol. I get what you're saying but I wasn't trying to connect to a wifi network called "T-Mobile Wifi".. it's just how it shows up instead of the regular "T-Mobile". I found the real problem was my carrier setting was set on automatic.. just needed to be set just on T-Mobile. No need to do the airplane mode now. It automatically connects to their wifi calling once it's connected to a wifi network.

@bkalz

Hi

I tried to replicate what you said in your post. Changing the carrier setting from automatic on to off reverts back to auto on. And T-Mobile is selected by default - so what am I missing?

Thanks

Hmm.. That's odd because when I did it on mine the automatic feature went off completely without reverting back. Under network selections it shows me T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon and Sprint and I manually selected T-Mobile. You may want to try possibly restarting the device? Is your iPhone also Verizon-branded?

No it is a T Mobile Device. I shall take your advice and see.

THanks.

Best of luck. If it doesn't work, check with T-Mobile and/or Apple because

it's supposed to work 100% for the T-Mobile iPhone.

I know this is an old thread. Just thought I will add my experience.

Just switched from Verizon and popped in my SIM into the iphone 6 with the prepaid 30 dollar plan. Within a few seconds, I see T mobile LTE. Just to be on the safe side, I restarted it. I  have had LTE all the time in and around the areas I frequently visit in Atlanta. Never 3g or 2g.

Did not bother to check wifi calling as I have good signal all the time.

At the same time, I had a nexus 5 for a short time, the signal varied from full five bars to zero bars in the same region. The phone was great but I"m guessing the number of bands it supported is limited. That is my best guess (I"m not an expert and I dont  have the time to check out on all the specifications of the handsets). I had the same issues when I was visiting Chicago with my nexus.

Overall pleased with my switch to T-mobile and the Verizon Iphone 6 device.