Solved

Digits: can’t receive SMS, but can send

• 1 September 2017
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

I have an iPhone 6s and iPad mini 4. When I activate Digits on my iPad, I can receive and make calls and send SMS (haven’t tried MMS yet).  But I can’t receive SMS messages.

I’m using iOS 11 on the iPad, and the latest iOS on the iPhone. 

What at am I missing? Do I need to run Digits on my iPhone, too?

icon

Best answer by cmalkiel 5 September 2017, 23:39

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 3

Hey, @cmalkiel​! Not much point in sending messages if you can't see the replies! 😕 Have you been able to get to the bottom of this? Do you have iMessage disabled on the phone and the iPad (we know that can cause some trouble with message continuity)?

- Marissa

Badge +1

Thanks for your reply.  I've turned off iMessage on both my iPhone and iPad, and can (eventually) see SMS messages in the Digits app on my iPad, but I am not receiving any notifications that a message has arrived. I have to open the Digits app to see if a message was received.

I have all the 'Notifications' turned on in the Digits setting on the iPad, including persistent alerts, but nothing appears and I don't get any sound alerts. I have to listen for my iPhone to sound an alert, then look on the iPad to find a new message and reply... kind of a waste of time.

I might as well just use the iPhone for all my SMS if Digits doesn't work on the iPad.

Badge +1

I made sure that iMessage was turned off, and I'm now able to send and receive SMS 😎

Some issues remain with the app itself, like being unable to switch between different conversations, but I'll search for that.

Thanks...

I have the same problem with tdigits app on my phone. can't receive sms but can send.

how to solve this? have an android

Same here (also DIGITS on Android)! SMS messages receive fine on the base phone number, but nothing ever shows up in the DIGITS messaging from banks, etc. However, sending a test message from the phone’s base number to the DIGITS number does work both ways.

Has anyone figured this out yet?  It’s a bit ludicrous for T-Mobile to expect their iPhone customers to turn off iMessages, which by the way doesn’t work for me—I still don’t receive texts with it turned off. Based on the time stamps of y’all’s posts I’m thinking T-Mobile has placed this on the back burner. 

I have a lenovo chromebook running chromes OS. 
I installed the android Digits app and on my first attempt to use it I was able to send a text message normally but the replies were not delivered back to the digits app. 
I did see the replies on my android phone which uses google messages for its messaging app.

From the multi year history of this thread seems like  this app is not as polished as it needs to be for a communication app that needs to just work.  Intermitten success of an app in this functionality category does not jive.

Any hints/fixes appreciated. Thanks