Question

Dual SIM and 2 TMobile numbers on same phone

• 28 November 2020
  • 6 replies

Badge

I’m considering switching to TMobile from Verizon but am having difficulty connecting with a TMobile agent who can answer questions about dual SIM functionality with TMobile. Hoping someone in this forum can help.

Currently I have an iPhone XR with two Verizon numbers on it, one assigned to the physical SIM, one assigned to the eSIM. One number is for business. One is for personal.

My goal for dual SIM usage is not related to international travel nor is it related to wanting two different carriers on the same phone. I want 2 different TMobile numbers on the same phone.

One agent tried to tell me all about the TMobile DIGITS program—but that is also distinct from what I want/need.

I need voice/text/data functionality on both numbers (e.g. I need to do FaceTime on both numbers) I don’t believe DIGITS will cover this.

Is anyone out there using a TMobile dual-SIM capable phone in this way? Does TMobile support this? Or is it really not a matter of whether TMobile supports it but rather whether the phone supports it?

I guess my basic question is whether my having two TMobile numbers on the same physical device (iPhone XR) will function the same as it has on my Verizon service?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom anyone can offer on this.

Chris

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Look at OnePlus devices directly from OnePlus.  They are dual-SIM out of the box and support all of the T-Mobile bands in their North American version.  If you want 5G, the OnePlus 8T directly from OnePlus is a great choice.  If you don't care about 5G, then the OnePlus 7 Pro directly from OnePlus is a great choice.  

Badge

Thanks for the info about OnePlus. However, my question is regarding TMobile’s support of dual SIM functionality rather than which equipment supports dual SIM. As a happy iPhone user, I’m clear that the iPhone XR (and later models) support dual SIM. So, I’m seeking info on TMobile’s support of that functionality. Thanks again though--and if any folks on the forum have info on the usage scenario I’ve described, I’d be grateful.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Dual SIM devices work on T-Mobile's network as long as they are compatible with the network.  eSIM seems to be limited to prepaid for some reason on T-Mobile.  

Badge

Thanks, Syaoran. This is helpful. I’d be doing pre-paid plans on both SIMs. With Verizon I was able to do different prepaid plans on each number; I’m hoping that would be the same with TMobile. (E.g. I’d like to do Magenta on one and Magenta Plus on the other).

It’s a bit disconcerting that the TMobile sales folks really had no idea what I was talking about --and kept pointing me toward DIGITS. Because of this, they were saying that only one number could have data. The other could only have talk/text. But true dual SIM functionality would not have this limitation.

Also, within the iOS, one can choose which number, e.g. has LTE functionality and which does not--and you can change that at any time. I’m hoping to get insight into whether this same flexibility will exist when using an iPhone with dual SIMs on TMobile.

Thanks,

Chris

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

All iPhone's are basically the same.  The eSIM function is built into iOS so it should work exactly the same regardless of the carrier.  You should be able to have two prepaid SIM's on the same prepaid account that have different plans.  T-Mobile employees usually have a very limited scope when it comes to their knowledge about things the company doesn't necessarily advertise.  There are exceptions but most call center and store employees only know what they were told in training and that is about the extent of it. 

I just got off the phone with a rare tmobile rep who had better knowledge than the ones from the offshore call center.  I have the Iphone 12 pro max.  It has the dual sim functionality. Therefore, the original sim will house my personal number as the current primary.  The eSim will house my business phone number which will simply be an “add” a line for $40/mo with full voice, text, and data off of my grandfathered plan from 2014.  If I travel, I pop out the physical sim and put in a vodafone sim.  Your objectives will be met with Tmobile, just make sure the phone is unlocked for travel purposes only.  Now, if you are using a sim from a different carrier, then definitely the phone must be unlocked if it is NOT financed.  Otherwise, you have to pay it off.  Don’t know if the XR has dual sim capability.  Hope this helps my friend.