GPS not working after carrier settings 29.0.1

• 6 September 2017
  • 15 replies

I have a iPhone 6, since the carrier settings update, GPS not working. Did factory reset, replaced SIM card, still not working.  If I remove SIM card, GPS will briefly work and then it quits after a few minutes.  Friends of mine with the same Iphone and on T-Mobile, are experiencing same issues.

15 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

28.4 is the latest carrier. Are you on IOS 11 beta?  It had a 29 version number.

I am on iOS 11 beta, I went to the beta hoping the GPS bug would be corrected

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

While I believe that if you are on the latest beta version you are probably as close as you can get to the reliability expected in a release version.

Userlevel 6

Hey, @magenta2564286​. I haven't seen any reports of this here, while I do know we've got at least a few community members who were participating in the iOS 11 beta. Am I reading your reply above correctly to say that you'd been having the same GPS problems in 10.3.3 and opted into the Beta in hopes that it would go away? Can you tell me a little more about what happens when you try to use the GPS functionality -- is it not pulling up the correct place on a map, or is it not responding at all? Thanks!

- Marissa 

Hello Marissa, the GPS will work only at random times... when it does not work, there is no GPS found when using apps like Waze and Google maps. Very random when it works, but most of the time it does not work at all.

Userlevel 6

Good morning! Thanks for those details! Did this start before or after you started beta testing? Does it happen in Apple Maps, too?

- Mairssa

This started happening prior to the iOS 11 beta. All map apps including Apple apps are effected. No GPS found

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

It seems strange that a carrier update would affect the hardware of the GPS. Typically a carrier update is only supposed to optimize how the phone communicates with the network. It should have no bearing on GPS. Perhaps you have a hardware issue.

I would tend to agree, but when I have friends with the IPhone 6 and T-Mobile with the same GPS issues, I would have to believe it is a software issue and not a hardware issue.

Userlevel 6

I'm sorry to say I did a comb through our known issues with the iPhone 6 and at this point, we don't have any GPS issues listed, @magenta2564286​. 😥 I took a look at Apple's Support pages and it doesn't look like you're alone as far as GPS concerns with the iPhone 6 - but it doesn't look like the issue is exclusive to TMO users. Since the GPS trouble started prior to your beta enrollment, I'm inclined to agree that it doesn't seem to be related to iOS 11 beta. All that aside, though, with GPS concerns, a factory reset is typically our last resort troubleshooting; after which point we'd suspect the matter might be related to hardware and recommend an exchange if the device is still covered under warranty. Do you by any chance have insurance on your line that would extend your warranty?

- Marissa

Hello again Marissa, thank you for your time in this, I do appreciate it! I did the factory reset without success, I unfortunately did not purchase the warranty.

Userlevel 6

Well, shucks. 😥 Do you have an Apple store nearby? After looking over a few of the threads there, it seems that's a frequent recommendation if standard troubleshooting doesn't resolve things. I will say that at this point during the original one year manufacturer's warranty, we've moved our iOS exchange process to Apple after any network or account issue is ruled out because we recognize that as their equipment becomes more sophisticated, they're the best experts on their devices. Maybe they would be able to take a look at it there and let you know for certain if it's a hardware concern?

- Marissa

Went to Apple store, the "Apple genius" had no answers as to why no GPS

Userlevel 6

Darn it! I was hoping they'd have some recourse to determine what the trouble was! 😥 It sounds like you've explored every avenue at this point. I'll keep monitoring our known issues and follow back up here if anything is reported. I know you're out of warranty and I'm sorry to read that you didn't have any luck at the Apple store previously -- at this point, they would be the best bet as far as contacting for any additional resolution options (repair or replacement, even out of warranty). I wish we had better news!

- Marissa

Sounds good, and thank you again for your time.