Solved

Group and MMS Texts are not coming through correctly on wifi

• 10 January 2017
  • 10 replies

I've had an iPhone 7 since launch, and up until recently hadnt had any issues. But, I have a few group texts that have some iMessage and some regular text messagers in it. For some reason these incoming texts are getting caught up when I am connected to wifi and will all be sent in one giant blast at some point, often meaning that I am missing important information. I've tried resetting the network settings, turned off wifi calling and even VoLTE. Still having the issue. I also tried deleting wifi networks are readding them. Still having the issue. Is there anything I am missing? I cant seem to figure this out and its quite frustrating.

icon

Best answer by tmo_mike_c 20 January 2017, 00:27

It's possible the SIM could be the issue. It might be worth getting a new one if you test it in another phone and the exact same thing happens under the same conditions. As for the phone, if you're not running the latest software, you'll want to update it. If the phone is up to date, you could reset the phone, test it out again, then restore your info back once you know it's working. I'd say if you do have a phone to test your SIM in now, and you're not able to recreate the same issue, we'd definitely want to reset this phone.

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

We definitely want your messages to come in like normal @zdoukas. I have a few questions so we can help narrow this down and figure out what's going on.

When you say they're all sent in one giant blast, do mean they're all showing up at once when you're connected to Wi-Fi or when you're on the T-Mobile network? Also, do you notice this only happening when a specific number or numbers send a message in the group text? If you have any 3rd party messaging apps downloaded, I suggest uninstalling those first and giving the phone a restart before you test it out again. Please let us know the details so we can help figure this out for you.

Thanks!

Its usually a few minutes after I disconnect from Wi-Fi. I havent taken account of the number but its usually more than one message when they start appearing. It could be 3 it could be 15, and from as long as a few hours before. I dont have any other messaging apps besides Whatsapp and Facebook Messenger, but I will uninstall and reboot as you said. I need both however, so I will need to reinstall them.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Thanks for giving that a try. Is the messaging working any better without those apps on the phone?

‌No, unfortunately Wi-Fi remains an issue.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Ah bummer.

This doesn't happen with individual messages right? Do you have your Wi-fi caling enabled on the phone when your connected to your network? I'm also curious if you're walking out of range of your Wi-Fi when this happens or are you disconnecting the device through the settings, and then noticing the messages come through.

‌Nope, it's just the group messages. I turned off Wifi calling earlier on when I noticed the issue first come about because I had another phone that had the same problem a while back. I do either or, in terms of disconnecting, but when I notice i haven't received a text for a while I will shut off Wifi just to be sure.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Okay. Was this another iPhone or a different model phone? When you're disconnecting, either by going out of range or turning off the setting, do you notice the phone's signal fluctuating or any having no signal at all for a short while?

‌It was an LG G3, but this was years ago with a different internet. The iPhone worked fine on this intertnet for 2 months so I don't understand what the issue is. As I said sometimes I disconnect manually and other times I leave range. The result is always the same. No signal fluctuation, my wifi and cell service are both strong generally when it occurs. Could it be a SIM issue? Could it just be bad firmware? Or the whole phone?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

It's possible the SIM could be the issue. It might be worth getting a new one if you test it in another phone and the exact same thing happens under the same conditions. As for the phone, if you're not running the latest software, you'll want to update it. If the phone is up to date, you could reset the phone, test it out again, then restore your info back once you know it's working. I'd say if you do have a phone to test your SIM in now, and you're not able to recreate the same issue, we'd definitely want to reset this phone.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hey!

Just wanted to know if you still need help with this. Were you able to give the steps above a shot? Please keep us posted on what happens.

Thanks!