Question

iPhone 13 Series Dual eSIM Setup Instructions

• 25 September 2021
  • 10 replies

Badge

After spending 4+ hours on the phone with customer care, and in-store, today trying to get Dual eSIM’s setup on my iPhone 13 Pro Max, I left the store with one eSIM and one physical SIM on my new device. I need help and direction on how to get multiple eSIM’s from T-Mobile setup on my device. 

I currently have two T-Mobile accounts - one personal, one business. I’ve previously used them in Dual SIM setup, one physical SIM & one eSIM - as described above, on my iPhone 12 Pro. Every time I’ve needed to re-setup the single eSIM for that device, the store always struggled to know what to do and how to get me setup with a single eSIM.

Now that the iPhone 13 Series supports Dual eSIM use, I’d like to get setup this way.The device was ordered from Apple to activate T-Mobile’s network, and the eSIM for my personal line came pre-configured upon the arrival of the device.  However, when using the “Change SIM” option in “My Account” for my business line, as well as the store attempting to update from their end, the system gives an error stating “Looks like that eSIM number is already set up.” after inputting the EID from the iPhone 13 Pro Max. “My Account” has no option to input any other information from the device that may link the 2nd eSIM back to the network, and the in-store employee said the same, or didn’t understand how to set it up on their systems. I need precise direction on how I can get both eSIM Profiles for the two T-Mobile accounts installed/downloaded to the new phone. Please help. 

10 replies

Same here - was on the phone for over an hour.  Some people have reported being able to do this on their own via the website but currently not able to get support.  I just tried and received the error message, but I clicked activate anyway.  We’ll see what happens.

Badge

Same here - was on the phone for over an hour.  Some people have reported being able to do this on their own via the website but currently not able to get support.  I just tried and received the error message, but I clicked activate anyway.  We’ll see what happens.

Any word on if they were able to successfully scan the QR code or manually add the SM-DP+ address afterward? All I’ve gotten is the “code has expired” error in my phone, which means the eSIM hasn’t been correctly provisioned to the network. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I have the same questions and found this, but haven’t tried yet:

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/apple/apple-ios-13/esim-settings-apple-iphone-on-ios-13

are these instructions accurate?

Any word on if they were able to successfully scan the QR code or manually add the SM-DP+ address afterward? All I’ve gotten is the “code has expired” error in my phone, which means the eSIM hasn’t been correctly provisioned to the network. 

Not successful with the QR code or manually adding the info - my phone just kept spinning, so I just clicked finish on the website.  I have not tried removing the physical sim yet as I’m still setting up the phone.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/apple/apple-ios-13/esim-settings-apple-iphone-on-ios-13

The problem is that the phone only displays one EID and T-mobile reps are claiming that they need a separate new EID to tie a sim to.  Apple’s forum says that you can have multiple lines tied to the same EID.

Badge

These are old instructions from when the iPhone XR was released

Badge

Not successful with the QR code or manually adding the info - my phone just kept spinning, so I just clicked finish on the website.  I have not tried removing the physical sim yet as I’m still setting up the phone.

There’s no physical SIM in the phone, unless you got one from T-Mobile directly. The primary line you activated with is already on an eSIM. That’s part of why this is such an issue. Apple just sold 10M+ new devices that none of their associates know how to configure. 

Someone found a way to do it.  It worked for me.  Here’s what he said.

“I found an easy workaround for some of us. If your sim card line you want to add to your phone is on your account already that’s all you need if you can access another esim capable iPhone. Put the sim card on your other phone then on your phone, open “Cellular” in Settings, and choose “Add Cellular Plan”. You should see the number to convert and transfer in along with any other numbers on your plan. Choose it, and follow the steps to import it into your device as a second esim. This worked perfectly for me and all features work normally on both esims when both are active. That’s all I really know about this trick, but mine worked first try. YAY”

Badge

Someone found a way to do it.  It worked for me.  Here’s what he said.

“I found an easy workaround for some of us. If your sim card line you want to add to your phone is on your account already that’s all you need if you can access another esim capable iPhone. Put the sim card on your other phone then on your phone, open “Cellular” in Settings, and choose “Add Cellular Plan”. You should see the number to convert and transfer in along with any other numbers on your plan. Choose it, and follow the steps to import it into your device as a second esim. This worked perfectly for me and all features work normally on both esims when both are active. That’s all I really know about this trick, but mine worked first try. YAY”

That’s awesome, thanks for the info. I found another work around that involve moving things over with iCloud between two phones, but it didn’t work for me so I wasted about two hours wiping and restoring my phones, haha

Hi, I posted that on Reddit after wasting a few hours with T-Force & Customer Service.  Here is another description of the same method.

Install TM 2nd esim 

If sim line to convert is in host phone, remove SIM card and delete from SETTINGS-CELLULAR-Cellular Plans list.  Place that sim in another esim capable iPhone and turn that phone on with that line active. It must be on the same T-Mobile plan as the Host current esim line.  On your Host phone, open CELLULAR-ADD CELLULAR PLAN and touch the SIM card number to import as esim.  Just follow the on screen instructions to install as new esim on Host phone as 2nd esim.