Question

Iphone keypad prompts not recognized

• 28 September 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge

When on call with an automated system and I am prompted to press “5” my keypad tone is not recognized. This issue started with my Iphone 7plus, months ago. I figured it was time for an upgrade I purchased an Iphone 11 pro, I have had this phone for 2 weeks and I am having the same issues. My phone has all the recent upgrades, I have signal at home, I restart my phone from time to time and this continues. This is very frustrating as the calls are from a family member in prison. I can answer the call but to be able to accept the call and get connected you must press 5 or say 5, I press 5 on my end I hear the tone, and still the call ends because I have not “pressed” 5. Even when I say 5 it is still not recognized.  I contacted the third party that provide the phone service to the prison GTL and they ran their diagnostics and have said it is not an issue on their end, that if it was an issue on their end then the call would not even go through. I am extremely frustrated that I bought a new phone and still cannot accept calls. This is a simple function ? what can be done? 

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Is it only with one system or number you call?  I have had this issue with my internet provider but not any other automated system.  I had to call a different number for them to get through and have their support look into the issue.  

Badge

Hi @syaoran  it’s when I receive a call from a particular number (call from family member in prison) unfortunately there is not other way to receive calls, the prison only has one call provider. After speaking with them they had me press the keypad tone while on a call with a rep to see if on their end it was received and the rep said she could not hear when I pressed 5, even though I heard it. This issue is random and does not happen all the time. It’s more like every other day. on average. This week it has been happening since Thursday, I haven’t been able to accept a total of 10 calls very frustrating .

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I would say it has to be something on their end.  If it was your device, then it would do it all of the time and with all numbers.  I don't see how it could be a T-Mobile issue because it is the device creating the tone on the call.  My guess is that it is the system on the other end sometimes having issues recognizing or interpreting those tones.  The next time you talk to this person.  Maybe ask them if they are always using the same phone or a different if the phone available varies.  It might be an issue with a specific phone that might be experiencing issues or degraded call quality due to an old line or decaying cable.