Solved

No Visual VoiceMail after switching from Verizon

I switched from Verizon last month, and I had visual voicemail with them. I noticed a few weeks back that I no longer have it. When I go to voicemail in the phone app, it dials voicemail. I called T-Mobile, and they had no clue at all what is happening. I reset my settings, and even did a factory reset. Nothing changed. I even contacted Apple, and they have no clue what is going on either. This is getting to be pretty frustrating because no one can figure out what is going on with visual voicemail.

icon

Best answer by orodrig23 15 July 2017, 11:05

If the carrier settings update alert hasn't popped up I would try resetting the network settings. All you lose by resetting your network settings are your previously saved wifi passwords. To do so:

1. Open Settings
  2. General
  3. Reset
  4. Reset Network Settings
  5. Your device will reboot
View original

36 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

At any point did the iPhone say update carrier settings? If not then the iPhone is still "hardcoded" to Verizon, and the reason for the disconnect.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Make sure vvm is active on your line. You can check in your account settings in the T-Mobile app or online. Manage Services from your plan page in the app.

It's active. That's why it's confusing.

At this point I don't remember. Wouldn't resetting the network settings fix that?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

No it would be Verizon settings.  The iPhone itself should have a popup asking to update carrier settings.

Update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Try doing this.

It says T-Mobile 28.4.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

That is the current carrier version.

Then I have no clue what to do. I spoke to Apple twice today and they don't even know what's wrong.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

What happens when you go to settings then phone then scroll down to change voicemail password?

If the carrier settings update alert hasn't popped up I would try resetting the network settings. All you lose by resetting your network settings are your previously saved wifi passwords. To do so:

1. Open Settings
  2. General
  3. Reset
  4. Reset Network Settings
  5. Your device will reboot
Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Well now @thenry78 , that's really rude for VVM to just stop. You've got a ton of help from our awesome community members. Were you still having trouble with this? Feel free to come back let us know how things are going. Thanks!

Userlevel 6

Hey, @thenry78​! We just wanted to check in and see if you'd made any headway with this. How's your VVM working?

- Marissa

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Just stopping in to see if you were able to get this taken care of. Please give us a holler back and keep us updated. Thank you!

I have this exact same issue and I switched over from AT&T.  I have a brand new unlocked iPhone 6s and I've updated carrier settings, reset network settings, erased all content and settings to no avail.  Finally I called and the T-Mobile rep couldn't figure it out and blamed it on the fact that I bought my phone from Apple and not T-Mobile.  I'm a software engineer and know that is completely false.  I'm convinced it's something to do with the T-Mobile Carrier settings and/or the configuration of my VVM on the T-Mobile side.

Very disappointed that after spending hundreds of dollars on a new phone that T-Mobile guaranteed I would have "no problems" with that I don't have any indication that I even have a voicemail .  I may have to switch carriers if this can't be figured out.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I totally get wanting to get  you money's worth. If you have the right carrier update, we'd need to make sure the VVM feature is set up on your account. Has that been double checked? If so, and is set up, we'd need to test your SIM in a T-Mobile branded phone in order to tell if it's something on the back end we need to  have escalated to engineering.

Thanks Mike.  I'll make sure to make that suggestion when I stop by the T-Mobile store.  For your information, my account does indicate that it has Visual Voicemail.  I've also had my voicemail reset on the T-Mobile side and asked to verify if VVM was configured correctly after the reset.....

Any idea if there's a different VVM configuration for iOS vs Android on the T-Mobile side that I need to ask about?

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Well, the iOS VVM is built within the phone app where as the Android version has a standalone application. Both devices need a data connection in order for it to work. Other than that, there's no "special" configuration for iOS devices you'll need to ask for. When VVM doesn't work, it's usually the feature or the device that's the culprit.

I'm now 100% certain that this is a problem on the T-Mobile side.  I've gotten the same behavior with a new SIM card and with a brand new T-Mobile branded phone.  Do I need to ask for a special reset of the voicemail/account?  When I ask to reset my voicemail they say they do it, but I don't have to run through the setup again and my greeting is still there.  Doesn't feel like a reset to me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

New Sim and new T-Mobile phone? Is it an iPhone still or a completely different phone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Also are you using digits with a second sim in that phone?

It was a T-Mobile iPhone.  I didn't get to keep the new phone, we just popped the sim in to test as suggested.  I do have a new sim card though.  I have the One Plus plan and I am signed up for Digits although I don't use it at all.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Turn off Digits.  From what I remember iPhone system is not compatible with Digits due to how close source Apple is.  Even if you don't use it doesn't mean it is on. 

Both Digits lines are off.  Should I have digits removed from the account?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

That I do not know how it works, but I do know during beta some people were having trouble with it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Visual Voicemail Apple vs T-Mobile