Question

Paid off phone and upgrade

• 3 July 2020
  • 6 replies

Badge

Ok so im confused if my phone is paid off and i get an upgrade will i be able to keep the paid off phone and not pay for it when the new phone is on the plan?

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

If your device is paid off, it's yours.  You can keep it or decide to trade it in for a better deal on a new device when you decide you want to upgrade.  

If you paid for it, you get to keep it… If you leave the sim card in it and continue to use it, or give it away or put it in a drawer shut off, you will continue to be billed for service - unless you transfer service to the new phone/sim and … end service for the old phone/sim.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

If you paid for it, you get to keep it… If you leave the sim card in it and continue to use it, or give it away or put it in a drawer shut off, you will continue to be billed for service - unless you transfer service to the new phone/sim and … end service for the old phone/sim.

If you buy a new phone and a sim comes with it the sim won't be activated. You can take the sim out of the old phone and put it in the new phone. You don't need to end service on the old phone when you get a new phone.

If you do use the new sim then you will have to call tmobile to set it up then your account will be transferred to the new sim.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

One other suggestion.  Get T-Mobile to unlock it for you. That way, you can always give it to a friend or sell it on something like Swappa and maximize its value and appeal. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

If you have the unlock app you can also unlock them over wifi even if the sims are not in them.

I bought 2 Pixel 4XL’s and my V30’s weren’t fully paid off so once the V30’s were paid I unlocked them using wifi and no sim.

Never had to unlock a T-Mobile network locked phone. I bought an AT&T branded LG 8” tablet a couple years ago and wanted to use it with my T-Mobile account. AT&T would unlock it for free but, wanted to slow walk me via email, since I was not an AT&T customer. I paid a dollar and some change for an unlock code on eBay. That worked just fine. Verizon, (I have one of their Samsung Galaxy Tab S3’s these days), unlocks their devices automatically when paid off in full; (very friendly customer service, that will even help you ensure the device is unlocked - even when you are not a customer of theirs... T-Mobile’s customer service is okay but, Verizon’s doesn’t typically have a Hindi accent to work through, as T-Mobiles Customer Service often does.) My Galaxy Tab does get T-Mobile’s LTE network on B-4 (only). I still get pretty good coverage around most of metro Phoenix, AZ. area though. An unlock app sounds great… just get it done in a minute or two, no hassle, no waiting.