Question

Problem with Siri caller ID, after install of IOS 16.2 on Iphone

• 26 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

Siri only says the area code and not the entire calling number of calling party since iOS 16.2 Except when they are in my contact list and then Siri says call from the name of the person.  Siri used to say the entire calling phone number of callers that are not in contact list.  Now Siri only says the area code of the callers not in contact list.  Those in contact list are announced with their name as the caller.  

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

you’ll have to check into the Apple forums. this is by far a Apple issue. might be a fix posted over there.

Badge

Hi Fireguy… Well I have spent several hours on the phone so far with calls with Apple so I have already been pursuing that path as well as T mobile.  I also have a post on the Apple forum as well requesting support or help from some user that may have solved this or even from Apple.  I have files a bug report to Apple as well.  I really need this problem resolved.    

I  have also verified with other people that this is a “universal problem” likely associated with IOS 16.2 on the iPhone, but it doesn't matter if its an iPhone 12 or iPhone 14.  That I have already confirmed.  They all have the same issue.  What I also sure of is everyone I have tested with is with T mobile for Cellular.  It is definitely not a one off issue on my phone.  Apple asked me to wipe the phone and install as new again but I strongly doubt that will work and I say that because I have verified with a handful of people that they have the same problem.

I would though like someone who has another Cellular Carrier to test this as well.  It would just be good to confirm every possibility.  It is possible that another carrier may not have this issue, but it is unlikely.  It is likely they all have it.    

Apple has escalated it to their engineering team.  They have captured screen shots from my phone, have done diagnostics and captured those and I hope to hear something in the next few days.  

The one question though I would like to be sure of is does this only occur within T mobile network?  If so, then even though unlikely it could be related to T mobile.

My thought on the logic if that is the case is this:  Apple updated their IOS, but perhaps the changes they made in IOS 16.2 may also rely on the cellular carriers tweaking something as well.  If that is the case then maybe T mobile needs to “tweak” something.  Having worked in Telecom and many areas of tech myself, I do understand what you are saying 100%.  It is about 100% most likely an Apple only problem with SIRI.  

I also know that Apple may come back and say they are only providing the info that T mobile is providing on the caller id but that won’t be a correct answer, because it is more a SIRI issue.  Since the calling number appears on the screen of the iPhone it is being provided by T mobile.  I am pretty convinced as you said that it proves then that Apple has a SIRI problem since the iPhone is receiving the caller ID info and populates the screen with it and its just that SIRI only reads the area code and says the area code of the calling number.  When my phone rings, Siri says call from a 512 area code or call from a 617 area code.  The rest of the number is not provided by Siri, but it can be read on the iPhone screen initially and scrolling across all during the call.  My problem is I cant look at the screen while driving and never had to look in the past.  I heard the whole calling number not just the area code which is of little value.    

As soon as I hear from Apple, I will post either a fix or their response.  I hope it will be fixed soon because I constantly use AirPods and not having Siri announce the calling number and only saying the area code is a big problem for me and I’m sure for many others who depend on Siri providing the caller’s number without having to look at the screen while driving.   

Thanks very much for your response.  I appreciate it.  I am surprised with so many people using iPhones with all the AirPods sold that more people aren’t exposing this issue.   

Badge

Just to add additional information..  This issue is happening with both AT&T and Verizon Cellular as well so as I noted above at first I was only able to test it with Tmobile customers because most of my family and friends have T mobile.  Now I have gone further and tested with non T mobile customers and it is a universal issue affecting all carriers as suspected.  It is likely an Apple software glitch and Apple is looking into it.  It is very inconvenient as well as dangerous while driving to have to look at the phone to see the entire calling number.  Siri is still announcing only the area code and not the whole number of a caller.  It also does not matter if you are using AirPods or the iPhone speaker itself to announce calls.  You still only hear the area code announced and nothing more.  The only exception is if someone calls who is in your contact list Siri will announce the caller’s contact name instead of a phone number, so that is working as it normally would.