Question

Should I swap out SIM card that came with iPhone 12 mini for one I received from T-Mobile?

• 17 June 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge

I switched to T-Mobile in late 2021. Several months late, at an Apple store, I swapped my old iPhone SE for a new iPhone 12 mini. It works just fine, but as part of one transaction or another I got a T-Mobile SIM card that apparently must be activated by 7/15/24. I don’t understand why I would need this card as the SIM card already in the phone is doing the job. Am I missing something? Might the “new” (?) SIM card somehow work better or is it simply an artifact of not switching the carrier and the equipment at the same time?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

was the iphone SE 5G capable? you might even pop out the sim card and compare it to the new one and see if theyre the same sim card of if theyre in fact different.

Badge

It was, but I’ve since gotten rid of the phone and the SIM card.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

eh...doubt there was any difference between the two. if youre getting all the same signals you did before 5G included then you should be fine. were you with Sprint prior to TMO and came over with the merger or were you already with TMO when all of that was happening? i can see the different sim card being needed there..

Badge

No, I was with AT&T until last fall when I moved to T-Mobile.