Solved

So JOD and regular Jump down payment same

• 25 February 2018
  • 19 replies

So I just contacted T-Mobile via the contact us page. I've been with T-Mobile for over 8 years and it seems that for me both regular JUMP and JUMP ON DEMAND down payments on NOTE 8 or IPhone X are 278$ and 150$.

I was hoping JOD would have at least given me a better deal on either of the phones , but I see no reason why upgrade to JOD if regular JUMP for me gives me same deals.

Any advice ?

icon

Best answer by lumion 6 March 2018, 21:42

Just a quick update.

went to T-Mobile store and upgraded to jod on my line. Kept previously phone which is still on epi payments. Got the iPhone X for 0 down and 0 tax

View original

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

yes and no.

JOD depends on your "credit score" and it's broken down to 18 months how much you pay with the last 6 months where you can opt out or buy the device outright, and switch devices without paying 50% or only jumping twice during a rolling year.

For example I am on JOD and my credit score is excellent.  I put 0 down on almost everything(some high value devices down payment no matter what).

Also JOD doesn't have a payment to enroll in so that's at least $60 a year saved compared to being on any Jump(1 or 2).  Jump does have insurance though and JOD does not.

How would one know one credit score with tmobile ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

From my understanding if you've been on T-Mobile for at least 3 years and never been delinquent then you are the highest tier.  A call to a rep or in store should be able to tell you.

I did a chat online via support staff.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

lumion wrote:

I did a chat online via support staff.

Did they check to see if you need to put down a down payment? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Also if you are on Jump and thinking about switching to Jump On Demand you need to pay off 50% of the device to do last I remember.  That may have the cost the exact same and makes it look like you are making a down payment.  If you are just going straight JoD if you owe money on a device and try to do another one there is a maximum amount you can "borrow" which will make people have down payments.

My current phone is on a jump plan but it has already been paid more then 50%. I just talked to another online chat agent , so this time I was told I had 0$ down payment for iPhone x. Now question is , can I turn in my current phone which is on a regular jump plan and has been paid more then 50% and still not pay anything by going straight too JOD.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Yes that's how it is supposed to work

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Of course the last time I did just that was when they first introduced JoD.

I truly hope that I can do that. The online chat agent told me I would have two options.

Option 1: pay off the current remaining balance on the current jump phone

Option 2: continue to make installments on the current phone + also have installments on the new JOD phone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

lumion wrote:

I truly hope that I can do that. The online chat agent told me I would have two options.

Option 1: pay off the current remaining balance on the current jump phone

Option 2: continue to make installments on the current phone + also have installments on the new JOD phone.

You can always jump do a cheaper device like the Revvl and drop Jump and also get a JoD device.

You can also try and sell the device for what you owe on the device and then start a JoD.

T-Mobile did change how to switch to JoD.  They probably lost a lot of money.  Unlike popular belief carriers don't make money off devices.

JUMP! On Demand

If you're currently on an Equipment Installment Plan (EIP)

If you want to trade in your current device and you’re currently making EIP payments on it, you can still make the switch to JUMP! On Demand. To do so, we’ll first need to see how much of a trade-in credit you’ll get for your device. If there’s a balance still owed after the credit is applied, just pay off the remainder before signing up for JUMP! On Demand.

Userlevel 6

Hey, @lumion​! I know @tidbits​ has been super helpful here, but I wanted to check in and make sure you didn't have any additional questions. To sum up; the required down payment amounts for EIP and JOD vary based on the individual account, and more often than not, they're the same regardless of the program you're using to upgrade. To switch from regular JUMP! (an EIP) to a JOD lease, the options that were explained to you are accurate as far as I know -- the only potential impact I can see is that if you leave the EIP open, it does use some of the equipment credit limit for your line, so there may not be as much equipment credit available for a new financing agreement (which might ultimately require a higher down payment). The other benefit of opting to pay off the remaining EIP balance, aside from just clearing out the equipment credit balance, is the potential to trade your existing device in once it's owned outright! 

Just a quick update.

went to T-Mobile store and upgraded to jod on my line. Kept previously phone which is still on epi payments. Got the iPhone X for 0 down and 0 tax

you'll be paying the taxes with your monthly payment on the phone. i hope they told you that!!!

They told me it was like 42$ a month so I’m sure the taxes were included already on that

i was paying 34.00 a month for mine taxes included

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

gotto wrote:

i was paying 34.00 a month for mine taxes included

I didn't pay taxes just a month ago.  Did you order it online or in store? 

i got mine online when the rep told me i could get two iphone 8+ for free no down payment and no tax though he did say i would pay taxes in my monthly bill on the phones

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

gotto wrote:

i got mine online when the rep told me i could get two iphone 8+ for free no down payment and no tax though he did say i would pay taxes in my monthly bill on the phones

That $38 is more than likely shipping and their "service charge" and not the tax.  it's $20 for the service charge and $18 for overnight shipping.