Solved

Stop sending my voicemails to SMS

Userlevel 2
Badge

My voicemail messages are recorded correctly and the transcript is shown on my iPhone normally (Select the Phone icon, then the voicemail icon at the bottom). However, they also get sent to me as a text message (SMS). How do I stop the texting? Having the voicemail recording is sufficient - they’re normally just spam recordings anyway.

icon

Best answer by Mari12rod 4 January 2022, 17:49

View original

28 replies

Userlevel 1

Don’t know if you or anyone has figured it out but in case you all haven’t:

1. Open “Account” tab
  2. Click “Profile settings” link
  3. Select “Block calls and messages”
  4. Select “Block Other” on the line you wish to update
  5. Turn on “T-Mobile Voicemail to Text Block”

Finally connected with them on Twitter. They said the business account owner has to do all of this for us; we don’t have permissions to do it. Took like 5 hours to get that answer from them.

Thank you for all your help!

Userlevel 1

Anyone get a successful resolution yet?  It’s annoying as heck.  Not likely to keep T-Mobile when my iPhone 7 gets EOL’ed.

if you haven't figured it out:

1. Open “Account” tab
  2. Click “Profile settings” link
  3. Select “Block calls and messages”
  4. Select “Block Other” on the line you wish to update
  5. Turn on “T-Mobile Voicemail to Text Block”
    **Hope This Helps!!!:grin:

I could have written your message myself! It’s exactly what I just explained to the T-Mobile support “expert” I got on the phone to get this “feature” turned off. She didn’t know what I was talking about, but after a lot of repeating myself she dug deeper to learn that it seems to be an error in the way my account is set up. She told me to hold on while she escalates the call so that I can talk to the technical team to get it fixed. 

….

After 30+ minutes on this call, much of it waiting, I’ve had a chance to explain the problem to the technical support person who has put me on hold again while he looks into it further. In other words, nobody seems to know what’s going on.

Anyone get a successful resolution yet?  It’s annoying as heck.  Not likely to keep T-Mobile when my iPhone 7 gets EOL’ed.

So WHERE is the Account tab? I have looked in the app, on the website, and in my iPhone settings.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

top right of the page where it says “My account” in pink?

My T-Mobile

Log into your account.  Press the 3 lines on top right.  Press My Account. Press Profiles.

Or,

Log into your account, look for "Welcome, [YOURNAME]" and account number, and below that it should say "Edit profile settings."

Nope. My login page looks nothing like that. Everything is in the left-hand side bar. There is no “account,” no hamburger menu, and no preferences command anywhere.

Nope. My login page looks nothing like that. Everything is in the left-hand side bar. There is no “account,” no hamburger menu, and no preferences command anywhere.

If you are using the app, there should be 5 items across the bottom: 

Home, Account, Bill, Shop and More.

Click on "More" then go to profile settings on the very top, choose block calls and messages, choose which line you'd like it to affect, then choose Block other, then choose T-Mobile Voicemail to Text Block and toggle that to ON.  So the other two should still be OFF and be in gray.

When I log in on the app, it just says, “We’re not ready for your account type yet.” So I guess I can’t use that.

Prepaid or postpaid plan?  

Have you tried going to the website using a PC?

Business phone. The website was the first thing I tried (on a PC).

This is all I see on the website.

This is all I see on the website.

Gotcha. Forgot about business accounts.  I am assuming that either they won't let ppl disable it or only allow primary user/account holder to disable it, if it's even possible.  Nothing in "more actions"?

No. That was the obvious place to look, but nothing helpful in there either.

No. That was the obvious place to look, but nothing helpful in there either.

Then guessing there is nothing in change services, either.  Are you the owner of the company or is it like an employee discount kind of deal?  And have you reached out to Tmo Business support

That's what I figured.  It's similar to personal lines where authorized users aren't allowed to make major changes unless permissions were granted or something, and even then it might be limited to that line alone.  Does it only do the SMS transcripts on iPhones or on Androids, as well?

I’m not sure. The company has only provided iPhones. On Twitter, the tech suggested I download their Visual Voicemail app, but that’s only for Android. So perhaps that’s a way around it for Android users. Not sure.

I’m not sure. The company has only provided iPhones. On Twitter, the tech suggested I download their Visual Voicemail app, but that’s only for Android. So perhaps that’s a way around it for Android users. Not sure.

That was what I was going to suggest.  I went into the Visual Voicemail app and under settings there was a "voicemail transcription (premium)" option, and in there you can choose to turn on (or off) SMS transcript delivery option and email transcript delivery option.  IF that's something that business accounts can access (and assuming it's turned on for spme reason), then if it bothers you tremendously then you could try to put your SIM into an android phone and see if you can disable it and then switch the SIM back into your work iPhone.  In case it's eSIM then I am not sure whether you will have permission or not.

You got it!  

Also, if your company signed up or got scam shield premium for free, then the voicemail to text was one of the perks it offered so maybe you could look in the scam shield app (if it's already there or if you can install it on iPhones) and try turning it off there.  Good luck!

Found the answer here: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/421040/disable-t-mobile-voicemail-to-text

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I've never had an iPhone but doesn't Apple do all the updates for their phones so if you update your phone through Apple then this may be an Apple issue with their visual voicemail app.

Badge

Exact same problem for me. The posted solution SHOULD work, but doesn’t. Even with the block turned on, I still get every voicemail sent via SMS.

I have spoken with T-Mobile customer service several times who were very pleasant but clueless regarding the issue. They first tried to get me to download the visual voicemail app (not available for iOS) then they had me change Siri’s language to a language I don’t know.

lastly, they had me toggle that posted “blocking” option on and off several times before trying to insist that it’s Apple’s problem.

I then spoke with Apple, who confirmed that voicemail to text is definitely handled by T-Mobile ,and Apple has no control over that functionality.

This really shouldn’t be so difficult to stop sending my voicemails to SMS.