Question

T-Mobile Not Unlocking my Phone

• 17 December 2022
  • 35 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello, long story short T-Mobile is not unlocking my phone and not giving me a proper reason about it for over 2 weeks. After more than 10 calls and talked to around 20 people on the customer service side, they are not unlocking the phone.

I know that’s basically violating the law. But wanted to ask first if there is anything I can do with T-Mobile before involving lawyers.

35 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I just ran both IMEI by Swappa and all good. T-Mobile on the other hand, is giving me a warning note on the “ghost replaced” one (the one showing up in the purchase receipt in March 2021) saying the following: “We can’t confirm that this device is unblocked. Please contact the original wireless carrier for information about the device’s status.”

“contact the original wireless carrier” lol, that’s the one I “supposedly” bought in their store based on the receipt.

It sounds like someone swapped your phone out without you knowing but I'm sure that's highly unlikely.

Try TForce

Highly unlikely, I do not know a person in my entire circle of family, friends or neighbors that would be capable of grab my phone, change the SIM, change the case, remove the “old” phone from my apple id account and add the apple id to the new one. They would even have to know my passwords. I’m the tech guy in the pack.

Tried TForce, not replying, they’ve asked me to authenticate like 4 times already and nobody reaches out.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I just ran both IMEI by Swappa and all good. T-Mobile on the other hand, is giving me a warning note on the “ghost replaced” one (the one showing up in the purchase receipt in March 2021) saying the following: “We can’t confirm that this device is unblocked. Please contact the original wireless carrier for information about the device’s status.”

“contact the original wireless carrier” lol, that’s the one I “supposedly” bought in their store based on the receipt.

It sounds like someone swapped your phone out without you knowing but I'm sure that's highly unlikely.

Try TForce

I have seen the odd s am years ago with another carrier where a person purchases a phone, returns it within the buyers remorse period, and has actually swapped out the device, making it look like it was never removed from the box.  I don't know if this is the case here but that is why I think T-Mobile should at least blacklist the device this person doesn't have and check to see if that IMEI of the missing device shows up on another account.  

This is what I think happened. I have the box right here and it has that old IMEI different from the one I have in my phone. T-Mobile store put a used phone a new box and sold it to me. How wonderful is that.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Update, T-Force team is telling me the same thing as the more than 10 reps/supervisors, to wait almost a week for the “offline” team. Still no explanation or anything. I just have to wait for whenever they can. Not only I was sold a swapped-used phone but also I am being kept hostage with their service. Unbelievable. I called this morning again and no manager wants to talk to me and reps end up hanging up on me without returning the call. I never thought I was see this kind of things from a company this big.

Userlevel 1
Badge

TForce and HeavenM just got back to me confirming my phone was unlocked yesterday but it still shows as locked in Settings. I will be performing the steps they provided for a reset and using a different carrier SIM card and let you know how it goes. Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

results?

T Force is a higher tier of support that you can message them on Tmobile's Facebook or Twitter page. They're good at fixing issues like this.

According to Tmobile's unlock requirements once the phone meets the requirements the phone will automatically be unlocked and a text will be sent letting you know.

Will the device unlock app  and the Settings/Connection/More Connection settings/Network Unlock disappear?

I bought my Samsung S9+  from Sprint, it has been paid off since before Sprint  and Tmobile merged.  They sent me a new sim (I don’t think I kept the Sprint SIM) I’m now thinking of switching and  I know I’m eligible for unlock,  but the Device unlock app gives me a connection server error and  the Network unlock option isn’t even under connection settings. I spent 45 min on the phone Sunday with customer support AND a Tech expert named Gilbert.. Gilbert couldn’t figure out the issue but said he’d get back to me. He did get back to me yesterday, but all he could do was suggest I try wiping the cache partition. I did this after doing a backup. NO help (the instructions they have on their page for wiping an Samsung  are NOT correct)..I  found out how to do it via youtube.  Gilbert is supposed to call back again today. If he suggests a factory reset, I’m going to be p*ssed.

Badge

TForce and HeavenM just got back to me confirming my phone was unlocked yesterday but it still shows as locked in Settings. I will be performing the steps they provided for a reset and using a different carrier SIM card and let you know how it goes. Thanks.

I have been getting the same as you. 
Tmobile lies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Tmobile lies

and yet kasave hasnt returned back to tell everyone how much they lied to him from 3 months ago...so either they gave up or their issue was resolved.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Tmobile lies

Hey @Cybercrime Unlocking devices has historically been a pain in the neck so many changes have been made to try and make the process easier. I would love to help in any way that I can, but we don’t have access to account details. I need a bit more information about your situation specifically, so we can work together to figure something out. 

1. What is the make and model of the phone you are trying to unlock?
  2. Where and when did you purchase the phone?
  3. Did you have it active on your account for even one day or did you buy it to use on another person’s account?
  4. What steps have you taken specifically to unlock your phone? Did you go to the unlock app, settings on the phone, called to make the request?

The answers to these questions will help us fully understand where you are in your unlock journey and what next steps are needed. 

Thanks for sharing 😁

Hey I'm a former rep of t-mobile worked billing and tech dept. The main issues with tmobile is 1. Reps are not willing to learn and understand the situation. 2. They contract ALOT of outsource or overseas reps that are NOT knowledgeable in the processes.......So here we go

If you have a device that was purchased from tmobile whether you fully paid for or paid for finance .

You must have at least device paid off in full and device must have been used for 45 -60 days . At that point when you call in to tmobile to unlock the device ...ANY REP CAN DO THIS. you must request the imei number to be put on the whitelist. The rep will visual look thru you acct and confirm paid in full device , device was used for 45-60 days and if you are a active customer bill must be up to date. This is all done visually by the rep. They dont need the supervisor or management any rep can do this.

If for whatever reason you stop paying your bill or it was sent to collections . You must pay off the collection amount ,the devices in full and device has yo have been used for  45-60 days under tmobile service

Like I stated ANY REP ANY REP ANY REP there's no reason why the rep should need back office or management. The reps more than likely from Philippines and the language barrier plus lack of training is the reason you are getting the run around 

I spent 3 years at tmobile in billing and tech and unlocking devices takes literally 3 mins except iPhones they take time