Question

Tmobile can't unlock my iphone xs which is replaced in warranty

• 1 December 2020
  • 11 replies

Badge

Hello, 

I bought a iphone xs from T-Mobile 2 years ago. And about 1 year ago, there is a HW issue. Since the device is still within warranty, Apple replaced the device with another one. 

I have no issue with the replaced one, until recently. I tried to get it unlocked by T-Mobile. But T-mobile can’t find this device’s IMEI in their database. And I called apple. Apple told me the device is sim locked to T-Mobile. I have talked to several representative from both Tmobile and Apple, and still got no solution. Please help.

Thanks.  

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

You need to contact Tmobile support using messenger on Tmobile’s Facebook or Twitter page.

Once they get the information needed they can contact Apple and get the imei# in their database and put in an unlock request .

Badge

You need to contact Tmobile support using messenger on Tmobile’s Facebook or Twitter page.

Once they get the information needed they can contact Apple and get the imei# in their database and put in an unlock request .

Thanks for your suggestion. I’m talking to T-Force on twitter now. I think due to the high volume of requests, I haven’t really make any progress yet. I will update the status and timeline here to provide a reference for people facing the same issue.

My new phone is here already. But I can’t switch to it. Because I’m afraid that will erase the existence of current phone from T-mobile account, and make it even more difficult to solve this issue.

Badge

T-Froce recommend a master reset without sim card. I read the same from other people post, and knew it probably won’t work. I did it anyway, and no luck. Doesn’t work for me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Keep on them. Do you still have the paperwork for the warranty replacement and the new imei# you can send to them?

Badge

Keep on them. Do you still have the paperwork for the warranty replacement and the new imei# you can send to them?

Thank you for following up. I sent the paperwork from Apple Store showing both old and new IMEI# to T-Force already. But they just keep asking me to master reset this phone. Btw, are you aware of any successful case for this kind of issue?

And I just put the phone into recovery mode, and reset it again without a sim card inside. Still it boots up showing sim locked. Below is the response I received from T-Force, just for your reference.

“ With following the steps you previously completed, the device should unlock. There is not an option for me to unlock this device, as it shows in our system as a Non-Tmobile device due to being received from apple. **Apple does something called its "Service Picker Policy" which means that when you get a replacement iPhone through certain channels (usually the Apple Store) the phone is unlocked *at that time*. It then locks itself to the first phone company whose SIM you use in that phone, and this is probably what's happening in your case. There are people who have had success by first backing up all the important information on that phone to iTunes, and then performing a factory reset on the phone with no SIM card inside. In most cases this has set the phone back to its original "unlocked but ready to become locked" state. **If the SIM is left in the phone during the reset, then the phone just re-locks itself to that SIM as soon as the reset is completed.”

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Yes people have posted they got their phones unlocked by using T-Force.

Also are you using doing the steps in the link below?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201328

Badge

Yes, I think I did every thing listed on this page. Good to know other people get it unlocked. That give me hope. Here is the latest update I got from T-Force after 1 day. I will provide the update once I hear anything back.

“Since the exchange was done at the Apple store, I must send verification information over to our team with the IMEI you had before and the IMEI you have now. It will take about 72 hours to get back. I will follow up with you once I receive a resolution from my team. How does that sound? “

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Yes, I think I did every thing listed on this page. Good to know other people get it unlocked. That give me hope. Here is the latest update I got from T-Force after 1 day. I will provide the update once I hear anything back.

“Since the exchange was done at the Apple store, I must send verification information over to our team with the IMEI you had before and the IMEI you have now. It will take about 72 hours to get back. I will follow up with you once I receive a resolution from my team. How does that sound? “

The last paragraph is the response you should have originally received.

Badge

My case was finally solved. I have tested my phone with a sim card from another carrier. And it’s now working fine.

I called T Mobile customer service and asked for a supervisor to help on this case. The supervisor was super nice and actually took ownership on this issue. She communicated this with different departments. And I received device unlock update email the same afternoon. Last night, after resetting my phone, it’s showing ‘No Sim Restriction’.

It’s a long and exhausting experience. But if you can find the right person, they will solve it for you.

Im have the same issue.  Do you know what they had to do or what you ahve to ask for?

Thanks.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Start at the beginning by contacting T Force on facebook with your details.