Question

unlock of prepaid iphone SE

• 20 September 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hi, I bought an iPhone SE from T mobile store and signed up for prepaid plan as I was not sure how phone signal would be looking like during my commute, after two months when I found out I do have to switch to other provider, I found that my iphone which I paid in full is locked by T Mobile. Being told by the local TMobile store that I only need to have account open for 40days and paid my phone in full to get it unlocked, T Mobile customer service told me completely different conditions and the store manager was totally unaware. Why is T Mobile locking a phone I paid in full and put difficult conditions for unlock, why is local store not aware of the change, this is really not professional and only piss the customers off. Shall I tell everyone I know not to buy unlocked phone from T Mobile and don’t try prepaid plan? I hope there will be answers and improvements from T Mobile! 

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5
https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/unlock-your-mobile-wireless-device#heading3

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Why is T Mobile locking a phone I paid in full and put difficult conditions for unlock, why is local store not aware of the change, this is really not professional and only piss the customers off. Shall I tell everyone I know not to buy unlocked phone from T Mobile and don’t try prepaid plan? I hope there will be answers and improvements from T Mobile! 

Tmobile doesn’t sell unlocked phones and if you wanted a truly unlocked iPhone you should of bought it from Apple plus if you look at the requirements for an unlock code it’s 40 days/basically 2 billing cycles or $100 for post paid or for the prepaid $100 in refills.

Badge

Appreciate answers! No offense, who is aware of T Mobile Fine print terms before walking into the store? I wasn’t told anything about the iPhone I am going to pay $400 some dollars is not unlocked like the one I can buy from bestbuy or amazon or anywhere else, I get that T Mobile is not an iPhone retailer, but wants to make money from wireless service, then why don’t tell me upfront go get your phone from bestbuy and we will sign you up for something that you can try, wouldn’t that be a better honest business practice? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Sorry, but we ( @gramps28  and I) don’t work for T-Mobile and can’t answer for the behavior of their employees and agents. We can tell you that you should always double-check everything you’re told by someone selling you stuff, be it used cars or cellphones. This is why forums, like this, are handy because you can get advice from other customers (been there, done that) before you make a mistake.

T-Mobile employees, poke a nose in every now and again, but have been mostly hands-off wrt this forum, as long as everyone plays nicely. You might what to submit your complaint to @TMobileHelp on Twitter.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Appreciate answers! No offense, who is aware of T Mobile Fine print terms before walking into the store? I wasn’t told anything about the iPhone I am going to pay $400 some dollars is not unlocked like the one I can buy from bestbuy or amazon or anywhere else, I get that T Mobile is not an iPhone retailer, but wants to make money from wireless service, then why don’t tell me upfront go get your phone from bestbuy and we will sign you up for something that you can try, wouldn’t that be a better honest business practice? 

If you would of bought the iPhone from Best Buy or other third party reseller you would be on this forum complaining that Tmobile locked your “unlocked” iPhone because of Apple’s Reseller Flex Policy, that no one ever explains to the customer, which locks the phone to the first sim inserted.