What is the point of DIGITS with Apple devices?

• 20 November 2017
  • 25 replies

Would someone please tell me what possible use DIGITS might have when all my Apple devices are already connected through iMessage and FaceTime convergent calling?

25 replies

Well not everyone uses iOS, so since facetime/iMessage doesn't work across platforms Digis does.

Understood, but my question was specific to those with Apple devices. DIGITS won’t be of any use cross-platform anyway unless all users have DIGITS apps. And of course one can send a cross-platform SMS or make a call using an Apple device just as easily without DIGITS. This seems to be much like Google Voice.

Digits DOES works with devices that dont have it installed, cause it goes via digi, then sent to the messaging gate, then to the carrier, then to the devices. Facetime/imessage ONLY  works for iOS devices.

OK, my bad, but I still don’t understand the advantage of having this thing for someone with all Apple devices who communicates almost entirely with other Apple devices.

yes, cause the rest of the world sees no need to be apart of the cult of apple

Indeed. Which is why Apple is the most valuable company in history, soon to reach a trillion dollars — surely an accident, since no one in the world seems to be joining “the cult…"

so touchy....😉

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi there @daimyosnow !

Just checking in to see if you got the help you needed. Please let us konw. Thanks!

Sort of. Now trying to figure out how to activate WiFi calling on the watch. T-moblie reprovisioned the watch from DIGITS to WiFi calling, apparently, but still no joy. Now escalated to Apple’s engineering team after 2 fruitless conversations with Apple tiers 1 & 2.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Oh no. So the saga continues now with Wi-Fi trouble? Did Apple mention when they would keep you updated on this issue? If not, can you reply back with what they say is going on?

Will do. They said eng team need to evaluate. Pulled 450 mb of system logs from phone. Half a gig of logs? Crazy

Sent from my iPhone

Userlevel 5

Eeeesh, you're right! That's a lot of data being pulled, @daimyosnow! I haven't had to work with the Apple Engineering team before. Did they provide an approximate time of when they should get back to you?

No.

Also noticed that my watch will not make or receive calls over WiFi unless it’s in close proximity to the phone. If it’s not, but still connected to WiFi, then I have to switch its WiFi radio off and force a cellular connection in order to make/receive calls. Very annoying when in another room of a house with poor cell service.

Sent from my iPhone

Userlevel 5

Interesting, @daimyosnow​. That would drive me nuts! Is this only happening with calls or does it happen with texts, too? Are you on the latest Watch OS? Have you tried unpairing your watch then re-pairing it?

Haven’t noticed whether also happens with texts, but a good question - will see that problem pops up. Yes, have tried re-pairing, and yes, running latest iOS & Watch OS.

Sent from my iPad

Userlevel 5

Sounds like a plan and thank you for getting back to with answers to my other questions. Any idea when this started? Maybe after an iOS or Watch OS update? I'm assuming your WiFi network at home is secure, correct? There was a previous issue with the Watch Series 3 not connecting to cellular while using an unauthenticated WiFi network.

I purchased the watch less than a week ago. Began immediately. Yes, home network is secure.

Sent from my iPad

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Thanks for that info. Have you tested another Wi-fi connection by chance to see if the same thing happens? I'm also curious if you've been contacted by Apple's engineering with any updates.

Yes, have tested several networks. Talked with Apple again today. Still no answers.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Thanks for testing that. Have you always had this trouble with Wi-Fi? Did Apple give you any response at all? If so, what did they say exactly?

Yes, always. But I’ve only had the watch for 2 weeks. Apple hasn’t said anything yet, other than the issue has been escalated to engineering team.

Userlevel 5

I know you've been waiting to hear back from the Apple Engineering team for a few weeks, @daimyosnow. By chance, have you heard from them yet? On our end, I think we've run out of different options to try. 😥

Not yet

Sent from my iPhone

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I agree with Amanda. Unfortunately, I think we've gone as far as we can go for helping. We do wanna see this resolved for you so when you do hear back from Apple, please let us know what they say. This could be helpful for other folks that may come across the same issue.

Checked yesterday. Still no reply.

Sent from my iPad