Solved

Refund when cancelling prepaid plan?

• 19 October 2017
  • 12 replies

I have some phones on prepaid plans for relatives.  I will be needing to cancel them soon.  A couple of them have balances in the accounts.  Will those balances be returned to me when I cancel or will I just lose that money?  Answer from a T-mobile rep would be welcome.

icon

Best answer by tidbits 19 October 2017, 09:52

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

There are no refunds on prepaid.

Pre-paid balance refund

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

tidbits: That's what I thought. When I dropped AT&T to come to T-Mo I lost $24. No big deal as I was going to have to add $25 if I stayed with AT&T.

Badge

Why not?? I switched from TMobile prepaid to TMobile postpaid, but have to “donate” around $75 to TMobile? I didn’t plan on switching, but when my wife’s pixel on google fi finally stopped working, I decided to re-eval our phone plans.

tmobile also messed up and I lost my old phone number. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It’s in Tmobile’s terms and conditions.

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/legal/terms-and-conditions#Additional%20Terms%20for%20Prepaid%20Customers

Badge

Why not?? I switched from TMobile prepaid to TMobile postpaid, but have to “donate” around $75 to TMobile? I didn’t plan on switching, but when my wife’s pixel on google fi finally stopped working, I decided to re-eval our phone plans.

tmobile also messed up and I lost my old phone number. 

Loosing a phone number is more than inconvenient. I have many many accounts setup with two factor authentication. Some of those use SMS - which is now broken. 

im not really sure that I understand why my prepaid $$ is lost. Who gets it???

Badge

It’s in Tmobile’s terms and conditions.

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/legal/terms-and-conditions#Additional%20Terms%20for%20Prepaid%20Customers

Quite possibly. Those can be changed if the company decided to. The only reason that I had more than a few dollars in my balance was their strange re-up system that meant that if my balance ran out mid-term, I’d be out service. After getting burned a few times, I learned to just keep a large balance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The terms have been changed many times through the years but prepaid refunds have always stayed the same.

Prepaid users have changed through the last few years where they aren’t “burner” numbers anymore so who knows, they may change the terms.

Seems like another corporate money grub.

Has anyone figured out how to get a refund on a prepaid plan?
I have the Legacy Pay as You Go.  I’ve had to put $10 on it each year just so I don't lose the balance.  I have over $100.  But I don’t even use this phone number - because I also have a postpaid Tmobile plan.  I’ve called, they won’t transfer the balance to my postpaid account.  I tried to escalate the request to a supervisor, but they hung up on me.

Any suggestions?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You can sell the account to someone .

You can sell the account to someone .

I was wondering if there’s a market for that.  Kinda tricky though… all my info is in the online account associated with it.  I’d have to change or delete that somehow.
Ebay the place to do that?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Try doing a google search. I had a Kroger prepaid account with $400 of credit on it and I was thinking about selling it a few years ago but I can’t remember the site.