Blog

Consumer vs Commercial messaging

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Texting has become such an important part of how we communicate nowadays. We can keep conversations going forever because we never have to "hang up" the phone. We can also share content easily by sending links or pictures. As time goes on, spam is starting to make its way into the texting world, and we can all feel the frustration when it affects us.

Industry guidelines and T-Mobile policies are in place to try and block spam and unwanted messages from going through our network. Regular person-to-person (P2P) messages are sent through Spam filters to ensure that someone is not spending their days sending unwanted messages to any phone number they can get ahold of. Company messages sent to customers (A2P) should be sent through aggregators (companies that ensure that the messages being sent comply with the rules in place). Companies are not allowed to send out an excessive number of messages and they can only send messages if we opt-in to those messages first.

As with anything else in life, things can go wrong. The great thing is that there are also options to help when something does.

• If you get a message that you know is spam, forward the message to 7726. It doesn’t directly stop the messages, but it helps in the overall efforts to fight spam by providing more information.
  • If you are not a business and your messages are not being received when you send them, we have troubleshooting options to help figure out why, so reach out to your Team of Experts and we can help you.
  • If you are a company and work with aggregators for your non-consumer messaging traffic and are getting blocked as spam, please partner with your aggregator to make sure everything is set up properly to fix those blocks.

Consumer and non-consumer messaging can be complex and confusing. I hope this information is helpful, but if you still want to know more, here is our support page that offers explanations and frequently asked questions. Consumer versus Non-Consumer Text Messaging | T-Mobile Support

13 replies

Badge

I use T-Mobile Digits a lot since it is easier than carrying around multiple phones.  Is there a way to use Digits to report Spam Texts?  Forwarding to 7726 doesn’t appear to work because Digits blocks texts to and from Short Code SMS numbers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I use T-Mobile Digits a lot since it is easier than carrying around multiple phones.  Is there a way to use Digits to report Spam Texts?  Forwarding to 7726 doesn’t appear to work because Digits blocks texts to and from Short Code SMS numbers.

I didn’t realize that was a limitiation!! Thanks for pointing it out. Do you have the Scam Shield app? If so, do you see those messages in that app? If you do see those on the list in the Scam Shield app, you can directly report the messages from there. 

Badge

I see a “Spam Shield” app by HolaCode, but nothing in Google Play called “Scam Shield”.  

Does it make a difference if I am running Digits and Spam/Scam Shield on a phone using a different carrier?

I understand the Short Code SMS limitation with Digits.  It’s a security feature to limit MFA codes from being received by the bad guys if they hack a Digits account.  Just wish you had a standard 10 digit number I could use to forward Spam texts.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

It's TMobile Scam Shield.

The problem is they all have my personal cell from many years back. Sometimes in an emergency while I'm driving I'll call people from my cell and then they start using it, despite me asking them not to. Joy.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

The problem is they all have my personal cell from many years back. Sometimes in an emergency while I'm driving I'll call people from my cell and then they start using it, despite me asking them not to. Joy.

mind giving us the rest of the story..as of right now youre not making a whole lot of sense seeing as how this is a thread talking about commercial texting from email to a phone..

I get a text telling me T-Mobile has trouble with my billing, is this spam?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

they dont go out of their way to contact the customer. its usually the customer finding out the billing is messed up and they call TMO..call in to double check but im going with scammer

Badge

As suggested earlier in the thread, I installed Scam Shield on my T-Mobile phone.  I still receive Scam Texts on that phone and via Digits to my work phone.  As far as I can tell, Scam Shield only handles scam phone calls and has no capability to handle scam texts other than telling the user to forward them to 7726.

The issue remains with Digits, where it does not allow forwarding a Scam Text to 7726 and T-Mobile does not provide a way to report Scam Text except through the receiving phone.

The secondary issue is that you are promoting a solution (Scam Shield) which does not handle Scam Texts at all.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

mine has zero issues telling me if its a spam text or not. well not zero issues..there are times that its pretty obvious its a spam text and it ends up taking a minute or two to finally pop up and tell me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@jdline99 You are correct. I thought that the activity log also included text messages so you could report them also, but it is only phone calls. That was my mistake and I sincerely apologize. 

I was able to identify a solution for the messages that go to DIGITS since you cannot send them to 7726. You can attach a copy or screenshot of the message to an email and send it to Privacy@T-Mobile.com. This works the same way as forwarding the message to 7726 because it provides information to our teams that help us fight spammers. 

Scam Shield is great for scam calls because it helps prevent the calls from ringing on the device at all. I hope that the app will eventually be expanded to include spam text messages, but texts are whole beast that present a different set of challenges to overcome. 

Badge

Thank you for the reply!

I will try sending the Spam Texts via e-mail to the address you provided. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

yeah i forgot to update on my last post. the spam option i get im almost positive is coming from Google since im using the Google Messages app.