Blog

FEWER SCAM CALLS. PERIOD

FEWER SCAM CALLS. PERIOD
Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Scam calls exploded in 2019 making it the #1 complaint to the FCC. T-Mobile is taking action with Scam Shield the free option giving you fewer spam calls.

What is Scam Shield

Imagine a world where robo and scam calls were stopped in their tracks before reaching your phone. That’s where Scam Shield comes in. Scam Shield is the most aggressive way we’re protecting our customer’s from robocalls, and best part is it’s free. Now that Sprint is part of T-Mobile, we’re continuing to improve our service and overall customer experience. We know how annoying these calls are so building a solid scam blocking system at the core of our network is the key behind Scam Shield. Taking back your number is easier than ever now! Check out some of the notable features below to see the benefits of this awesome new feature.

Notable features   

• FREE Scam ID and Scam Block for T-Mobile, Metro by T-Mobile and Sprint customers with industry-leading technology
  • FREE PROXY for select plans
  • FREE Number for select T-Mobile, Metro by T-Mobile, and Sprint for starting over with a clean slate.

Download the app

Scam Shield will be available with or without downloading the app, however, the app has advantages. You get the ease of taking action and changing the settings in the palm of your hand. You get the control. You can customize the preferences and automatically sending callers to voicemail if you wish. We’re planning on sweetening things for app users. Later this month, we’ll have a giveaway for those taking advantage of using the app regularly, and this offer will only be available on support. Keep an eye out for an upcoming blog with the details for this giveaway. I promise, it’ll be worth it. Stay tuned!

26 replies

Appears this FREE app, as T-Mobile advertises, is pretty much useless unless you upgrade to the paid version of it. With the FREE version you can not control the categories or block numbers that are not getting blocked by what T-Mobile claims to be SCAMs. The only control with the FREE version is to mark blocked callers as a favorite so they will not get blocked. AT&T’s FREE App was much better.

Badge

Currently using the trial of the premium version and every time I attempt to enable scam block, it says having trouble with the network. Currently, the free version doesn't block even the calls listed as “scam likely” , without the ability to enable the scam block, I am unsure if the 4.00 per month is worth it.  Is anyone else having this same issue?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Appears this FREE app, as T-Mobile advertises, is pretty much useless unless you upgrade to the paid version of it. With the FREE version you can not control the categories or block numbers that are not getting blocked by what T-Mobile claims to be SCAMs. The only control with the FREE version is to mark blocked callers as a favorite so they will not get blocked. AT&T’s FREE App was much better.

We appreciate the feedback. As you mentioned, we do have a premium version that’ll give you a little more protection. Just so I’m clear, is the free version not blocking for you?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Currently using the trial of the premium version and every time I attempt to enable scam block, it says having trouble with the network. Currently, the free version doesn't block even the calls listed as “scam likely” , without the ability to enable the scam block, I am unsure if the 4.00 per month is worth it.  Is anyone else having this same issue?

Thanks for coming here to post that. How long have you been using the premium trail? I know you have 30 days to use it, but please keep an eye on that and post some feedback about how it’s working going forward, especially if you’ve been using it more recently. Have you tried an uninstall and reinstall to see if that helps?

It has blocked 3 calls that may have been SCAMs, however T-Mobile or Sprint do not know every SCAMMER/SPAMMER’s number so I continue to get calls I do not want. I just continue to use the Apple built in process of blocking them, which is actually more than I can do with your app. I have had to add a lot of my local contacts to your app so that it would not block them, which is also a big difference between your app and AT&T. From what I have seen of this app I would diffidently not pay anything for it. AT&T’s app actually allowed you to manually block numbers and a handful of their categories, which was really useful. Due to being able to see it being useful I did purchase it to get the rest of the categories. T-Mobile’s app; not even thinking about buying it.

Installed Scam shield, did not select premium yet it says 30 days left on premium trial. We were told Scam Shield was free, no mention that premium was required to perform what they advertised.

Every time I select end trial, it tells me unable to connect to network, try again later.

I tried on the 4G network and my WiFi network and same thing.

I guess the only way to get this off our two phones now is contact the FCC so they will contact T-Mobile to get it fixed.

Starting to act and sound like sprint. Miss advertising and corning you into extra charges on everything. I figured this merger would affect the reputation that T-Mobile had. 

Yes, bit more and more they are. I already heard from someone that fixed an issue three years ago with a problem. Lead, Executive Response, Office of the President, and she already responded that she will have someone call me to fix this to not go to FCC. Sorry, can not give their Corp email or phone number out.

I know they are not going to like this, but if anyone has any issue with any Carrier, Cable service or services regulated by the FCC you can file an online report with the FCC if you can’t get help from customer service. Then you will have a name and number also. I very seldom ever have to call customer support after using FCC.

The only people that can respond to you is someone in Corporate offices that can take care of the FCC complaints. It’s never anyone in customer service like when you call support. These people can do it all, and approval is not usally needed before they do. They make the decision and it’s done. They have certain number of days to call you, and when they do it’s their goal to have it taken care of before the call ends or with in short time if field tech is needed for location work or they can face fines if not taken care of. The complaints also go against their costs for spectrum when they go to expand. The FCC does follow up when they say it was taken care of to verify with you they did.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’m actually getting more scam/dead calls now than I did before… at least one or 2 / day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Installed Scam shield, did not select premium yet it says 30 days left on premium trial. We were told Scam Shield was free, no mention that premium was required to perform what they advertised.

Every time I select end trial, it tells me unable to connect to network, try again later.

I tried on the 4G network and my WiFi network and same thing.

I guess the only way to get this off our two phones now is contact the FCC so they will contact T-Mobile to get it fixed.

As the ‘uncarrier’ has become #2 (so it self claims) it is now literally the same, in response as any other… but with worse rural coverage, and a lack of 24x7 support.

A SIMPLE and EFFECTIVE spam blocker would be requiring incoming callers to press a random digit e.g. “Press 6 to continue”.  Otherwise the phone doesn’t even ring.

Why can’t we get this at least as an option on our T-Mobile accounts?  All the elaborate systems you’re describing seem to have little effect.

Of course this can be outwitted if the spammers spend enough money on their end, but for now they’ll just move on to an unprotected number.  And the message could be changed once in a while etc.

We have billions of robocalls and nobody except a couple of VPN providers offer this obvious fix.

???

I have T Mobile for cellphone service. But a company called Onvoy has used 7 different phone numbers to call me on my home phone landline.I have blocked these numbers but they then use another number to call me. I will cancel my T Mobile contract is this continues. *******@gmail.com
T Mobile #***-***-**** , Landline #***-***-****

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

We definitely don’t want you to cancel. You posted this on our Scam Shield blog. Are you using the app? This app is designed to blog spam callers. If this is person manually calling your number you could use the built-in phone option. Also, who is your landline carrier through? You may need to reach out to them for more help getting the calls blocked from your home address.

Badge

Not sure if anyone noticed previously, but the T-Mobile Visual Voicemail also worked in a trial version for 30 days, but you didn’t have to cancel.    It would be in trial until the trial was over and then just act as a voicemail application (without the text conversion).   Based on how that application operated,  I’m pretty certain that the Scam Shield also operates in a 30 day premium and then changes to the standard free version once the trial expires, that the customer need not do anything further.   In fact, I had that experience, it’s just the free version now and doesn’t say anything about being Premium any more.   

I noticed that I have 57 blocked calls since I received the application.     Seems to have blocked much better than the prior Name ID application.

All in all, I’m pretty happy with the free version.   I do get the “Get the full experience upgrade” bar above the menu when I’m in the activity menu, but that’s not a problem.  I just don’t click it and do what I need in the app.

Is it possible to link my digits line by proxy to my iPhones E-sim? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Been a while since someone’s posted on this one! :relaxed:

Good question @tony1018 ! 

You can use Scam Shield on either your physical SIM or your e-SIM. Scam Shield will work on the line that’s active when the app is installed.

Awesome! Thank you! I thought it would seem more fluid to use the esim and not have to open a separate app for texts and calls from the digits line. 

Been a while since someone’s posted on this one! :relaxed:

Good question @tony1018 ! 

You can use Scam Shield on either your physical SIM or your e-SIM. Scam Shield will work on the line that’s active when the app is installed.

After reaching out to T-Mobile to get this done I was told it was not possible. That esim can only be used for a regular prepaid line, not available on digit or free proxy lines. :(

Badge +1

Scam calls exploded in 2019 making it the #1 complaint to the FCC. T-Mobile is taking action with Scam Shield the free option giving you fewer spam calls.

What is Scam Shield

Imagine a world where robo and scam calls were stopped in their tracks before reaching your phone. That’s where Scam Shield comes in. Scam Shield is the most aggressive way we’re protecting our customer’s from robocalls, and best part is it’s free. Now that Sprint is part of T-Mobile, we’re continuing to improve our service and overall customer experience. We know how annoying these calls are so building a solid scam blocking system at the core of our network is the key behind Scam Shield. Taking back your number is easier than ever now! Check out some of the notable features below to see the benefits of this awesome new feature.

Notable features   

• FREE Scam ID and Scam Block for T-Mobile, Metro by T-Mobile and Sprint customers with industry-leading technology
  • FREE PROXY for select plans
  • FREE Number for select T-Mobile, Metro by T-Mobile, and Sprint for starting over with a clean slate.

Download the app

Scam Shield will be available with or without downloading the app, however, the app has advantages. You get the ease of taking action and changing the settings in the palm of your hand. You get the control. You can customize the preferences and automatically sending callers to voicemail if you wish. We’re planning on sweetening things for app users. Later this month, we’ll have a giveaway for those taking advantage of using the app regularly, and this offer will only be available on support. Keep an eye out for an upcoming blog with the details for this giveaway. I promise, it’ll be worth it. Stay tuned!

Hello,

Your scam shield is a pile of junk it only picks up numbers that your servers gets. I have been receiving numerous of spam calls with the same number why does it not pick the number up on your server?

Of source if you want to pay a additional $4.00/month you can add additional numbers any thing for more cost.

We are currently paying for ScamShield Premium but it did not work as advertised, which is why we signed up for T-Mobile… We are currently debating canceling our service because of the continuous, persistent, Spam and Scam calls and texts.

What we want is a VERY simple setting:

• Unless the incoming call or text is on our Contact List, we do not want to know it ever existed. Period.

It never reaches our phone, or our account, never calls us, texts us, notifies us, or is logged anywhere. It is tossed into the abyss.

From there you could have additional settings that the user can add (multiple calls within X seconds from these area codes are OK, etc.). But you can start with the above, which is very simply: Block Everything, Period.

Please add this as a feature ASAP.

Thank you! :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

We only encourage purchasing the premium version if that’s what you need. The Scam Shield app alone is good enough for block calls. If it’s not working now, and it was before, I’d clear the cache of the app and install any updates it may have. A last resort is to uninstall/reinstall then test it out. Filing a Trouble Ticket with our Tech Care team is a good way to have engineers look into this issue if it continues after those steps.

I pay for the premium app feature on two phones and it is not 100%.

I just got 10 yes 10 clicks for the same number at the same time. HOW is this possible.

i also got a text from amazon about a fictitious order for 576.53 with order number and go figure two different numbers senders and call back number. this i reported to the FTC. because i ain’t stupid.

In am looking out for others.

why scam shield cant send a list of numbers to t-mobile for possible turn offs i don’t get.

after all you are the phone company you should be able to track back to the original perpetrator.

spoofed number or not. i was fine before the hacking incident.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

The plan compare shows that Scam Shield Premium is “included” with Magenta Max plans, but is ambiguous about this question: is it “included” for ALL lines on the account? If not, what is the cost for the other lines on the account?

THANKS for clarifying!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

The plan compare shows that Scam Shield Premium is “included” with Magenta Max plans, but is ambiguous about this question: is it “included” for ALL lines on the account? If not, what is the cost for the other lines on the account?

THANKS for clarifying!!

Thanks for that feedback! It is included for ALL lines at no additional cost since all lines are on the MAX plan. Each line can install the app and enjoy the benefits without having to worry about nickel-and-diming on the account.

Free version worked great for about 6 months. Now, it is blocking calls from my contact list it previously allowed thru, and not blocking spam calls like it did before. If I want to mark a call to block, I have to pay, no thank you. Have to uninstall now. Thanks T-mo for a useless “free” service.