Can't receive data when on 5G UC

• 6 November 2021
  • 50 replies

Badge

New Pixel 6 Pro.  Worked fine for first few days.  Now when the phone shows connected to 5G UC, I can not receive any data or connect to internet.  There's an exclamation point in the notification area.  If the phone shows just 5G or LTE them I can receive data.  Tried resetting all networks and still won't work on 5G UC band.

50 replies

Userlevel 1

No. The solution offered by T-Mobile was to turn off 5G completely and only use LTE… not exactly the right way to keep customers. They should have held back the rollout of UC. 

I have the new Galaxy S22. All of a sudden two days ago, my phone started switching from 5G to 5G UC. Once it switches over to 5G UC, I completely lose all network. My phone goes dead. I spent over an hour with TMobile tech trying to figure it out. The only thing they could figure out was that there was an issue with their towers in the area. It would take 3-5 days to fix. However, my coworkers with TMobile are not experiencing any issues. Why only my phone? 

Userlevel 1

Having the same issues with my iPhone 12 Max. Phone turns into a brick when UC triggers. First time in a long time I’m looking for new service. Reset my network settings, cycled my phone… nothing works. Worst part I can’t restrict UC from triggering and turning my phone into a brick. 

Userlevel 1

Why only my phone? 

If you are getting a solid 5 bars 5gUC, then I’ve had the same issue at times: congestion (i.e., near a ball game).  Anything less than 5 bars, 5GUC suffers tremendously (your phone can see it but the tower is not hearing your phone).

My solution, unfortunately, has been to disable 5G altogether,

+1 every time I see 5G UC it means not enough internet even for checking emails, I am on T-Mobile ONE, feels like punishment for being on grandfathered plan… no offers, no promos, no internet, I wish John Legere to be back so bad 

Having the same issues with my iPhone 12 Max. Phone turns into a brick when UC triggers. First time in a long time I’m looking for new service. Reset my network settings, cycled my phone… nothing works. Worst part I can’t restrict UC from triggering and turning my phone into a brick. 

Figure it out yet? Same issue on my iPhone 13. I JUST got T-Mobile about 2 months ago, and they say UC stands for “Ultimate Coverage”, but that’s gotta be a joke 

No. The solution offered by T-Mobile was to turn off 5G completely and only use LTE… not exactly the right way to keep customers. They should have held back the rollout of UC. 

Exactly! Sounds like T-Mobile is saying, go to another carrier. I still have a couple apps that get no data when UC is connected. Royal PITA 🤬.

So disappointing. When I’m using T-mobiles most advanced network, my phone is a brick - no bandwidth, no data. And T-mobile’s response? Go back to a legacy network, to LTE. This has been going on for over a year. When will T-mobile resolve these issues? My new iphone 14pro was a brick this morning, out of the box  5G is enabled. Sure enough, it was connected to T-mobile 5G UC. Once I went back to LTE things were fine again.

Having same issue with S21 Ultra. Anyone find a resolution? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

5G UC T-Mobile’s “Ultra Capacity” network technically includes high-band 5G. The range of the higher bands are much more limited (1 mile radius) than mid and lower bands and some phones may not handle the higher mm bands very well. The mid band delivery makes more sense but still the 2-3 mile range and penetration could be sketchy. With the T-Mobile solution it appears the UC could appear when connecting to the mid-band mm or high-band mm network but probably the mid-band mm network. Since the radius of delivery for a mid-band mm frequency is not that broad (2-3 miles) it seems the delivery for mobile customers in transit is probably be a bit problematic. The lower “5G NR” T-Mobile solution has better range and penetration so is more forgiving. The solution seems to be more towers and more uniform coverage. It is not there yet. Just my take. 

Badge

Think I'm good now.  Believe it was a combination of cell tower upgrades in my area and sim card.  Switched to esim and getting better connections and data transfers.

My data is super slow all the time. I'm so mad I could spit! I'm probably going to change to another phone company because of it. This is absolutely ridiculous.

This is a relief to see that it’s a widespread issue - and so unbelievably disappointing the casual and consistently careless response from T-Mobile.

So I’m in Northern Virginia, I got an iPhone SE 2022 (from T-Mobile) and Magenta MAX. In fact (and this was all discussed in detail at their store, with total reassurances that it would all work), a PSIM from T-Mobile LTE (work line, for calls only) and eSIM with Magenta MAX for personal call and “unlimited” data.

From the start, the same problem highlighted on this thread on different brands, different models: at 5G, lightning fast speeds. But the moment it goes to 5G UC (which it *always* does, automatically), it’s a brick. If I use the work line (LTE) for data, it becomes normal. If I use the Magenta MAX line and turn off 5G, it also works normally in LTE.

Customer service… Geez, I just feel lied to. First (after making you do all the obvious dummy “fixes” that never work) they said there was some construction going on and it was going to get better. It didn’t. Then when I pushed hard with facts, speed test results, they buckled (“yeah we have identified this issue with the iPhone SE 2022 model in eSIM”). A lie, as here we can read cases from different models and brands. Their solution? Turn off 5G for good, as speeds are “very similar”. Did they get trained to really recommend that? (In the posts above I conclude that… yes, it’s a standard answer).

Last straw for me: we are now moving to a new location. We go to the T-Mobile “coverage map” to check: and the entire street we are moving to (I’d say every single area in Northern Virginia in fact is showing like this as well) shows as a solid FULL coverage for 5G, 4G, everything. I go on the street (outside the house!), it’s ONE bar. One bar on LTE, one bar on the useless 5G UC. So choppy and sluggish even when on LTE. Inside the house? Nothing. No data. Voice calls ridiculously choppy.

I guess Verizon it is then for my personal line. And a big push for my company to drop T-Mobile for the business line provider as well.

The lower “5G NR” T-Mobile solution has better range and penetration so is more forgiving. The solution seems to be more towers and more uniform coverage. It is not there yet. Sorry but with technology has going pains. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I saw a post where the suggestion to resolve the data issue when seeing the 5G UC is to revert to LTE. On the 5G capable iPhone go to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Voice & Data and then set LTE vs 5G On or 5G Auto. That should work for an iPhone. I don’t have the Android but I am pretty sure the same approach should work. Set the phone to use LTE for data when the 5G UC results in no proper data delivery. I have been there and experience the same issue with my iPhone 12 Pro. It is a bother.

Userlevel 1
Badge

This has been going on for so long. At this point I have no other option but to go elsewhere for cell service. T-Mobile 5GUC service reminds me of dial up. 

I recently moved to Magenta Max with 14 pro max. Whenever the phone shows 5G UC there is hardly any data. The speedtest fails. I did the trick of turning off 5G and moving over to LTE and it seemed to work but then what is the point of paying for 5G.

Also, I noticed it happens severely during 3PM-5PM when school dismissals are happening. I am in Houston, TX suburb.

Anything else I can do, I am guessing I already have the highest plan and the latest 14 pro max. Customer Service does not have any clue about this. 

I came for the same reason. I just switched to t mobile yesterday and right away noticed 5G UC means my connection sucks. On S21 Ultra + . I need to ask my wife about her phone but assume it's the same since it's the same type of phone we both ported over from Verizon. When it goes to regular 5G it sends "normal" but once UC shows up it's pointless to try.  I tried some of the things above and I'm on a physical sim but so far nothing concrete.  I'm going to try that airplane mode thing, years ago I had an S5 that needed that trick to work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

i was replying to the 3pm-5pm post right above mine.

I just sent an email to Neville Ray the CTO  of T-Mobile neville.ray@t-mobile.com of and the regional Engineer about this issue. Will let you know if I hear anything back. I have provided Neville Ray’s email if anyone else wants to contact him.

Userlevel 1

I had a similar problem come up in the last month and a half. I’m on an iPhone and was running iOS 15.6, and 15.5 before it, when I stopped receiving texts intermittently. Sending always worked.

I narrowed it down to 5G; if I was on 5G, texts would stop. On 5G UC or LTE, they’d come through.

Restarting seemed to help, but in the end, what’s worked 100% of the time was removing the plan from my phone entirely, then I reactivated it.

Now the phone seems to join 5G UC and WiFi calling more often, receiving texts just works, and I’m still using the same eSIM as before.

Hey Scott, you can read my update above but I do wonder what you mean by "removing the plan from your phone". What does that mean and do you know how that affects your phone? Just curious, never heard anyone say that. Thanks in advance. 

Jimmy

Hi all,

Is this data stalling issue on 5G still happening to you guys?

Any improvements recently?

thanks

I have a T-Mobile Samsung S21 5G.  Same problem.  Normal drive back and forth to my property and even my calls drop whenever my band changes to 5G UC in two spots along the highway.  UC stands for Ultra Capacity regardless of what customer service says.  I can run a speed test when on 5G UC and download at 300Mbps.  Upload at 10.  But cannot use internet, cannot text, cannot make calls.  Makes no sense.  They want you to see how fast it is with a speedtest but then block you from using it for normal purposes.  

I have been having the exact same issue on my iPhone 14 Pro and two other iPhones. Furthermore even switching to LTE is not consistent. I contacted tech support many times in the last few days - all I am hearing is engg team has a ticket open and they are working - 24 - 48 Hrs ETA - this is as good as no ETA :|.

Here is a pattern I noticed - when the phone goes into sleep mode - to save battery if I not mistaken, the cellular data radios operate at low power - when you wake up the phone - typically unlocking or tapping on the home screen, that’s when it does not connect back to the tower. For me I am forced to turn on Airplane mode and turn in off and even then, data only works on LTE. This issue started in the last 10 days - perhaps some upgrade/change is not really helping. I dont mind slower speeds - but inconsistent data - is just not acceptable. 

I have an iPhone 13 and magenta max 55+ and lost data everytime UC turned on. pretty bad to lose nav data when in a different city and trying to navigate. I saw above that one person was able to turn off UC but I don’t see where that is an option. calling it ultra capacity is a joke.