Question

Data Speed Drop

• 22 January 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge

As of 1/21/2022, average data speed for my T-Mobile Home Internet has dropped by over half (from an average of 375Mb/s to 150Mb/s). Any ideas, or comments as to why this has happened? Is it just temporary? Thanks!

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

As of 1/21/2022, average data speed for my T-Mobile Home Internet has dropped by over half (from an average of 375Mb/s to 150Mb/s). Any ideas, or comments as to why this has happened? Is it just temporary? Thanks!

Unfortunately, T-Mobile Home Internet is given the lowest priority for data, as explained in their terms & conditions.  It means all other users have a higher priority when congestion occurs.

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/legal/terms-and-conditions

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/consumer-info/policies/internet-service

During congestion, Home Internet customers may notice speeds lower than other customers due to data prioritization.  T-Mobile Home Internet  customers receive the same network prioritization as Heavy Data Users.

Have you recently moved or relocated your gateway?  The gateway is very sensitive to its position.  Even a slight rotation can affect it.

Badge

Thanks for the response!

I have had the T-Mobile Home Service for about 6 weeks. I have been thrilled with the speed. I had been using my phone as a hotspot for internet through Verizon. I left them after 20 years because they were, at times, SEVERELY throttling my speed to the point that it was unusable, and were NEVER straight about it when I contacted them regarding the issue.
I thought I had researched this carefully, but was unaware of the info you provided. I have not repositioned the Gateway, and have been getting a steady 4 bars on the meter. I use 3 different apps to measure speed and they do vary a fair bit. I check it frequently, and have had speeds approaching 500 Mb/s often. 150 Mb/s is really adequate for me, but I am concerned that, once again, I will find that my service becomes unusable.

Thanks!