Question

Good signal/bars but no network connection many times daily

Userlevel 3
Badge

Ok here's what is going on... I have pretty good signal almost full 5g bars most of the time down to where it drops to 4g lte at full bars. From time to time every couple hours I lose connection to the network where I can't text no apps work etc but usually I can still make calls just fine while this is happening. It only lasts 1-2 minutes sometimes or it may be out 15-20 then all of the sudden it's back to normal like nothing ever happened. It may go right back out again in 2 minutes or it may not happen for hours. Also it only happens on my new galaxy a32 not on our old galaxy j7 or prime whatever it was or on the older LG phone both of which are still being used on this account and same house at same time but they have no issues with connection ever. They aren't 5g either so I figure 5g has something to do with it. It just really gets old when you can't finish a conversation or get directions because internet/network connection just stopped. What can I do? All my connection settings are set how tmobile and other people have said they should be. I don't have Wi-Fi so I'm set to always use mobile data. What now? Or will I just have to suffer through. It's prob just some tmobile network problem that's with the new 5g. I guess that's what I get buying a new phone. Any ideas?

77 replies

i’ll preface this by saying i have a less than year old iphone 13. made an entire account just so i could post my frustrating experience.

TL;DR: this is exactly what i tried. open settings > cellular > cellular data options > voice and data > switch to LTE. then i went back to voice and data > data mode > switch to standard. then restart phone. my phone is finally loading things without wifi, and im not having the “no internet connection” problem anymore. maybe this could help someone so i decided to leave my experience.

the issue at hand has been following me from phone to phone ever since i got my first iphone in like 2014 or 2015. even if i had full bars of service and my 4g or 5g was on, if i was not connected to wifi, nothing would load. social media would not load, my texts would take forever to go through or sometimes not even go through, dropped calls, etc and no one else in my fam ever had this problem except me. ive been so fed up to the point where i took my phone in, and tmobile ppl tell me try resetting network settings when that happens. of course as im standing in front of the tmobile person, in the tmobile store, their suggestion works exactly as they thought it would but as soon as i left the problem came back and i would try the suggestion again and it would not work anymore. i have read on this problem SO many times trying to fix it and i think i finally did something right this time. this is exactly what i tried. open settings > cellular > cellular data options > voice and data > switch to LTE. then i went back to voice and data > data mode > switch to standard. then restart phone. my phone is finally loading things without wifi, and im not having the “no internet connection” and "could not connect/secure network" problem anymore. maybe this could help someone so i decided to leave my experience.

My family and I have been having this issue since October 2022! T-Mobile worked great for us until then. We live in an area that shows full 5G coverage. I've made multiple calls over the months. I was told we can get refunded for the number of days the service hasn't worked, but only one time. Being that it happens for a few days to weeks at a time, then shapes up, then acts up again, I'm hesitant because I'm up to over 100 days of not being able to use our phones. Live in Central Texas, everyone I know with AT&T and Verizon always has working service. T-Mobile only keeps us right now because I can't afford to pay off 3 of the lines that are getting paid through a monthly credit promotional. Funny how the "uncarrier" with "no contracts" does their discounts and promotions in such a way that it's essentially the same thing as a contract. Was camping this past weekend out near Ft Hood, and sure enough, only the T-Mobile members had no signal. The world's leading carrier isn't doing a great job right now.

I tether; have done so for 10 years. I had connected to Tmobile at 26mbs until last year, page loads went from non existent to on a lucky day 7 mbs. Meanwhile i get Netflicks free. Im moving to another carrier.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Tmobile has a lot of dead zones, and unusable 4g lte service in areas that are listed as 5g Ultra Capacity.  Reps will claim that the areas aren't 5g , have capacity issues, are being modernized or undergoing maintenance.  Sometimes for several years (/sarcasm).  These are go to excuses, and yes, their ‘engineers ‘ have even admitted it as I've caught them in their lies.

I have been experiencing this same thing off and on for quite some time. In my case though calls don’t always go through. So I will have full 5G bars but the internet goes out. When this happens, I try to call my voicemail and it looks like it connects but I don’t hear anything. Then it all works again. I have called tech support a few times. The solution is to reset the network settings and reboot. While that helps, the issue reemerges. It is not a fix. I broke down and called tech support again last night… It certainly illuminated things for me.

The rep I spoke with last, I believe Kiel (outsourced most likely), must have thought that I am stupid. He “fixed” the issue by having me set the phone to 4G/3G/2G (essentially prevent the phone from using 5G). THEN this individual tried to tell me that when I go to an area with good 5G connectivity that my phone would connect - nevermind the fact that he had me turn 5G off. Add that -LIE- to the fact that I AM within 5G signal and I was one p-o’d customer. All in all, T-Mobile support is next to absolutely useless (and infuriating). Also, this issue is CLEARLY a 5G issue. The only reason I went out and bought a new phone that supports 5G was due to T-mobile’s “push” for 5G.

I have been a customer for just shy of 16 years. That will end soon.

so i didn’t read all the replies and I have had this issue with both Android and Iphone most recently the Iphone12 pro max(1 year old) and then android is technically last one a S7 plus tab phone was S22plus. Are you all switching off your Wifi buttons when not on your or a known wifi network? Because as my ex the programmer explained that the phones will always try to first  find a wifi signal then use data. So if always “on”but not connected then you are basically throttling your own signal as well as burning through your battery faster. The dead “spots” are the line between moblie data and wifi trying to kick in. Some may already know this, some may not but next time it happens just turn off wifi and wait a few moments to see what happens, possibly reset the phone ot your network by going full airplane mode. But 9/10 this is why for me the other 1/10 is Iphone or Android needs an update. Both systems if its blue in the control panel, its on, whether you are connected or not. To turn off Android completely just press the eifi button, for Iphone go to wifi settings and turn off there, with apple if the button is white, its constantly searching lightly so make sure you completely turn it off.

Good to see this has been a known issue for over a year and we're still having the same problems.

Full 5G UC and .12Mbps

Bravo T-Mo. Bravo 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

In your case, if you want a ‘real’ notification/fix, file a complaint through the BBB.  Since T-Mobile has outsourced almost all of its US based support, you’ll be getting standard troubleshooting and generic responses.

Experiencing the same. Never had a problem at all with tmo for 5 years. Ive used the 5g home Internet box for about a year or so, and speeds often exceed 300mbps. I came home from work on 08/19/23 to find that the the wifi quit working for the first time ever. Went to Google it, and my phone's data didn't work either. It's now the 22nd, and it hasn't improved. It works sometimes, sometimes it doesn't. The wifi box works for 10 minutes after a reset. The phones on my plan work for 10 mins after switching airplane mode on and off. The data loads perfect if you're on a phone call. The data works fine everywhere but my house. Got all the generic responses from cust support. The people in store couldn't help. Phone bill is paid. Came to this thread looking for answers, only found that out that I need to disable the 5g service that I pay out the *** for. 

*Sigh*

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Swap out your home internet device, if the wifi isnt working

i guess it is nice to know that this was not an isolated issue. 5G and 5gUC are terrible. once i see that on my iphone 13, i know i am not going to get good speeds…

Same here. EVERY weekend and holidays I have no internet at home, since we began to use the 5G home internet box(6 months). Today (10/09/23) my husband called T-Mobile support and waited for more than 1 hour in the line with no answer! The support is useless !!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

i guess it is nice to know that this was not an isolated issue. 5G and 5gUC are terrible. once i see that on my iphone 13, i know i am not going to get good speeds…

5G itself isn’t bad (n71 or n25) typically here on n71 ~100Mbps/50Mbps

on n25 +200Mbps/40Mbps

on n41 (tower specific) ~400-700/140Mbps or +1400/150Mbps

5G NSA (5g + LTE) peak ~2Gbps/150Mbps

Location, location, location

Sounds like planned obsolescence, where the corporations purposely make goods that planned to break after so long like your phone slowing down or not working right after the new gen phones are out. It's to force you to either deal with the problem or buy their newest toys to keep the connection good. I wish it was illegal for these corporations to design their products in such a way but it's an effective way to keep the money flowing every year. My phone is now a gen behind and there has been nothing but signal outages even when it claims to have full bars and 5G, I turn on and off airplane mode to restart the Internet and it works to refresh the page but then it remembers it's not supposed to have Internet and switches to LTE! Even now my phone doesn't want me to write this and keeps "losing" connection when I try to hit reply.

I was originally with Sprint but have been forced onto the T-Mobile network due to the merger. I usually went with Galaxy and LG phones but then made a switch to the One+ brand but now I have the Google Pixel 7. By all accounts, one of the newer 5G models so connectivity shouldn't be an issue IF THE NETWORK IS STABLE. Therein lies the problem... its never stable, no matter where Im at, or what Im trying to do, I can be sure my phone will suddenly stop responding to all networks EXCEPT WiFi...to a point where more often than not, if Im not using my own WiFi, the phone is basically useless. Never have I had such a powerful phone be incapable of the simplest connection requirements. Just a few minutes ago, while standing still watching a video, everything just dropped and the phone itself... basically taking 5 mins to reboot and find another 5G signal....but whats infuriating is that even when everything looks good and normal, I still cannot connect...I spend more time watching loading circles than actual anything else. Maybe its the Google, 5G combination that doesn't work here in my area...IDK what the deal is. BUT whats most aggravating js is that I cannot figure out how a $1000 phone that just a hair over 8 months old, barely works much less work stably, on anything but my home WiFi. 

T-Mobile...you guys really have some 'xplaining to do because your services suck and you're tech support is basically robots reading scripts who act like resetting your network settings and rebooting fixes everything...all while expecting me to make my monthly payments on time nonetheless. 

I just want service I can rely on even if most of the time...is that to freaking hard to ask for, for $120 a month...

I’m having the same issue with my S21 Ultra. I can be sitting in my living room and have 5G w/full bars and it will not allow me to use any apps or internet through chrome. States, Offline. Place it in Airplane mode and back off and it works again. What gives? OP were you able to figure out the issue?

this is what I have to do almost daily multiple times a day. My bars go out , internet stops working as well. I have the iPhone X which is 4glte only. Has anyone found a fix for this issue yet ?

I’m having the same issue with my S21 Ultra. I can be sitting in my living room and have 5G w/full bars and it will not allow me to use any apps or internet through chrome. States, Offline. Place it in Airplane mode and back off and it works again. What gives? OP were you able to figure out the issue?

this is what I have to do almost daily multiple times a day. My bars go out , internet stops working as well. Sometimes airplane mode will make it work again. But other times I have to restart my phone multiple times. This is ridiculous and annoying. I have the iPhone X which is 4glte only. Has anyone found a fix for this issue yet ?

Experiencing the same. Never had a problem at all with tmo for 5 years. Ive used the 5g home Internet box for about a year or so, and speeds often exceed 300mbps. I came home from work on 08/19/23 to find that the the wifi quit working for the first time ever. Went to Google it, and my phone's data didn't work either. It's now the 22nd, and it hasn't improved. It works sometimes, sometimes it doesn't. The wifi box works for 10 minutes after a reset. The phones on my plan work for 10 mins after switching airplane mode on and off. The data loads perfect if you're on a phone call. The data works fine everywhere but my house. Got all the generic responses from cust support. The people in store couldn't help. Phone bill is paid. Came to this thread looking for answers, only found that out that I need to disable the 5g service that I pay out the *** for. 

*Sigh*

Still no fix? My service is always going on and out no matter where I am. Internet and bars will just disappear. Cycling airplane mode on/off sometimes works , other times I’ll have to restart my iPhone X multiple times. This phone doesn’t have 5G and I still have this issue so I don’t think it’s just 5G related. I think it’s something with T-Mobile. What I’ve been hearing lately is that these software updates we receive have bugs in them ti purposely cause issues so you upgrade to a new phone. I’ve used this from many ppl. I’m just really tired of dealing with this. This was happening wiht my previous iPhone as well , ordered a replacement iPhone X that still has the same issues. 

*Sigh*

Still no fix? My service is always going on and out no matter where I am. Internet and bars will just disappear. Cycling airplane mode on/off sometimes works , other times I’ll have to restart my iPhone X multiple times. This phone doesn’t have 5G and I still have this issue so I don’t think it’s just 5G related. I think it’s something with T-Mobile. What I’ve been hearing lately is that these software updates we receive have bugs in them to purposely cause issues so you upgrade to a new phone. I’ve heard this from many ppl. I’m just really tired of dealing with this. This was happening with my previous iPhone as well , ordered a replacement iPhone X and the problem is even worse. These replacements are refurbished junk  

I have a couple ideas about this. If you’re in a lower level room or basement, you can have some issues with the connection cutting in and out due to line of site. I’d head to a higher level of the house/building if possible. Restarting the phone on a daily basis can help make sure you maintain a solid connection. If this is happening in the same area and even around the same time of day, this could be something our engineering team can look into after our Tech Care team files a Service Complaint for you.

Im located @ 1st floor in the middle of city downtown.... one signal, dropped 90% of my calls else walk around my condo to get signal. Can not search from internet. I was Magenta single line & can not use hotspot. I changed plan because it is a waste paying the price.. Problem in RESTART the phone is that all my office accnts, VPN, stock trade logins, email outlook with my office and office network authenticators must be re-configurated, re-enter logins  etc. 

Tmobile has me in the list to subscribe internet for long time now until they will have 5G internet in my area.... very ironic... i live in the middle if a city! Very frustrating!  Although I love Tmobile... to use my phone, i have to be out of my condo 90% of my daily  life!

Yes, we are to sacrifice... 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

My site was pretty much the last site in my area to receive 5g.   Similarly,  LAX didn't get 5g until last summer, while many other locations had 5g UC long before.

Many urban areas - especially some buildings take a long time.  Many large area macros get upgraded.first. 

Hey guys! Good news! Tmobile upgrade my plan to Go5! Ain't that very facinating!

I wake up 5am daily, i listen to the Holy Mass with.my phone s22 android. Every early morning, there is very bad signal in my place, there is nothing else it shows blinking  LTE instead of 5G.  Although I still love Tmobile. 

Badge

I have the same issue with my android, my husband does with his phone and all the tv's buffer constantly and lose connection on and off. I pay for a service that I am not receiving and it is getting very frustrating to constantly reboor, restart, reset. It dusrupts every piece of equipment I own. I can't tell you when the last time I saw a TV show without interruption. Oh yes I can, when I had AT & T! T-Mobile needs to get their act together if they want to stay in the home internet, fastest provider category provider. My advice to anyone thinking to switch DON'T!!! 

5G isn’t really fully developed as to 4G. I thought my residence location was a problem for 5G. However,

even in the city center and anywhere, I experience with my phone the same problems. I would rather go back to 4G light that has been fully developed. That is the reason why I can’t sign up with the 5G internet yet. The sad part is that they talk about 10G - for what? 

Badge

@formercanuck THIS was a life saver for me. I can use the phone at home now… Thanks for posting the n71 trick.