Question

i dont recieve the majority of texts from people and sometimes i can't receive calls either. Anybody have an answer for this months long issue?

• 4 April 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

On and off for 3 YEARS now I have been having issues with incoming texts not being received. sometimes I will receive one with no context, not realizing that its one of several that I just never got. People think that I'm ignoring them when in reality I had no idea I was being messaged at all. This happens with both text messages and with images that people send me. Sometimes it even happens with calls. In those instances my phone won’t even ring and the caller gets taken straight to voicemail. I have called T-Mobile multiple times, they have kicked me from the network and re added me to see if that would work and replaced my SIM. this seemed to work for a day and then back to the same issues. normal customer service can’t figure it out. I have tried 3 different phones and it is all the same story. This happens regardless of location and whether or not I'm using WIFI. I just want my phone to work. Its affecting how I communicate with people and is unacceptable for a paid service. Is there anyone who has a solution?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

What type of phone do you have? If it's an iPhone does it happen with Android users? If so it may have something to do with iMessages.

Also have you tried a different sms app?

Badge

What type of phone do you have? If it's an iPhone does it happen with Android users? If so it may have something to do with iMessages.

Also have you tried a different sms app?

its an asus zenfone 8, but i also had this issue with two other phones, the first of which was a galaxy s8+ that i got through t-mobile. It seems that i have this issue with everyone; android and iphone users but its hard to be sure since i don’t know who is texting me. i literally receive nothing, no errors or anything. I normally use textra but i switched to the default google messages app and its the same. I have tried switching the SIM slot, new SIM card, different phones, different cities. the thing that is weird is that i do usually receive verification texts from websites and the like, its just messages from other people that i simply don’t receive 95% of the time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The Samsung Galaxy  s8+ is beyond the support window and end of life.  Because of this, it does not always get the latest app updates and newest features.  

The Asus ZENfone 8 is not a T-Mobile device.  Have you double checked and verified the APN settings?  

T-Mobile data & APN settings | T-Mobile Support

Are you using RCS?  With Google changing how RCS workscurrnetly.  It can take some time for third party apps to catch up.  Personally, I find Pulse the most reliable out of the third party messaging apps available on the Play Store.  Have you tried disabling RCS to see if t hat resolves the issue?

Is the issue with iPhone users specifically?  If so.  T-Mobile has no control over a text once it is handed off to Apple’s iMessage system and iMessages being handed off to carriers has always been intentionally hit or miss due to Apple.  

Is this an MMS issue specifically?  Because you have a BYO Device.  The maximum allowed file size for sending and receiving should be set to less than 1,000kb.  

Badge

The Samsung Galaxy  s8+ is beyond the support window and end of life.  Because of this, it does not always get the latest app updates and newest features.  

when i had this issue on that phone it was early 2020. Since then i have had two high end phones and both had the same issues.

The Asus ZENfone 8 is not a T-Mobile device.  Have you double checked and verified the APN settings?  

T-Mobile data & APN settings | T-Mobile Support

Did this right after posting, didn't really seem to help.

Are you using RCS?  With Google changing how RCS workscurrnetly.  It can take some time for third party apps to catch up.  Personally, I find Pulse the most reliable out of the third party messaging apps available on the Play Store.  Have you tried disabling RCS to see if t hat resolves the issue?

Is the issue with iPhone users specifically?  If so.  T-Mobile has no control over a text once it is handed off to Apple’s iMessage system and iMessages being handed off to carriers has always been intentionally hit or miss due to Apple.  

Haven’t looked into the RCS thing so i guess thats next, but no my issue is not just with iphones it is with everyone. and I have my max file size set to 1000KB already. I have tried with both Textra and the default google messages app. i don’t believe thats the problem anyway as sometimes i don’t receive calls either

Badge +1

Do you have a 5G phone and are you getting 5G service?  My wife had this problem for quite a while.  We went to the T-mobile store and they replaced the SIM card and (like you) at first it seemed to help, but not for long.  As I understand from the person there, there are fewer and fewer towers handling 4G and 3G calls, so connecting with a non-5G phone is becoming problematic.  Fortunately there was a free upgrade available on her plan to a 5G model, and it looks like that may have taken care of it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

3G calls..the calls are getting switched to VoLTE..which is over 4G and 5G. if you have a 4G capable phone only it must have VoLTE capabilities or it wont be able to make calls..once they shut down 3G fully anyways.