Question

No 5G Signal on my new Galaxy S22 (Unlocked) , stuck on LTE (4G/4G+)

Badge +1

I live in San Jose, California. Where we have 5G coverage across this region. All my other phones in my household are getting T-Mobile 5G-UC, except for my new S22 5G phone.

I have tried resetting the SIM (its a new sim), Reset the APN settings, also added manual APN settings. But, still not getting 5G.

Any idea how to solve this problem, since i bought my new phone to make use of 5G coverage from T-mobile.?

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

these are the APNs you changed around correct?

• Name: T-Mobile
  • APN: Fast.t-mobile.com (for LTE devices) or epc.tmobile.com (for non-LTE devices)
  • Proxy: <Not set>
  • Port: <Not set>
  • Username: <Not set>
  • Password: <Not set>
  • Server: <Not set>
  • MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
  • MMS proxy: <Not set>
  • MMS port: <Not set>
  • MMS protocol: WAP 2.0
  • MCC: 310
  • MNC: 260
  • Authentication Type: <Not set>
  • APN Type: default,supl,mms OR Internet+MMS
    • Default Android provides a text field to enter: default,supl,mms.
    • Samsung provides an Internet+MMS radio button to select.
  • APN Protocol: IPv4/IPv6
  • APN roaming protocol: IPv4/IPv6 or IPv4 only when roaming internationally
  • Turn APN on/off: Grayed out unless there are multiple APNs
  • Bearer: Unspecified

and by chance are you able to take one of the other phones sim cards and toss it into your phone to see if all of a sudden you get 5G or not? if you get 5G then its an issue with the sim card..if you still dont double check also in your network/mobile settings to make sure its turned to auto or at least includes 5G in its list of connections.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Phones just don’t work well with 5G yet.  Manufacturers get the “5G” indicator on and that’s good enough for them.

Look for “Prefer 5G NR Mode” in the developer menu and make sure it’s set to NSA + SA.  My Sony Xperia 1 III has a lot of problems with 5G because the US model is intentionally crippled.  It has no SA 5G and NSA barely works.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

5G UC is a T-Mobile branding thing.  Unlocked devices won’t show this 99% of the time without some sort of agreement.  Does it say 5G and when you run a speed test are getting speeds within a few mbps to the other devices?  Also is you S22 a US model and not a foreign model?

As for SX1III not working is because Sony didn’t pay the licensing to cut costs.

Badge +1

5G UC is a T-Mobile branding thing.  Unlocked devices won’t show this 99% of the time without some sort of agreement.  Does it say 5G and when you run a speed test are getting speeds within a few mbps to the other devices?  Also is you S22 a US model and not a foreign model?

As for SX1III not working is because Sony didn’t pay the licensing to cut costs.

My Samsung Galaxy S22 5G phone was bought from India. Its not region locked so should work with 5G in US.

Its constantly shows 4G or on very few occasions 4G+, but i haven't seen the 5G symbol till now on T-mobile (and i just bought this new 5G sim 3 weeks back)

@fireguy_6364 : i also tried the same APN settings, have also kept the 5G/LTE mode enabled , still no luck

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

It’s from India.  The two devices from the US and India are 2 different support structures.  T-Mobile can’t help you.  Spectrum support as well as carrier back end code is different.

Badge +1

It’s from India.  The two devices from the US and India are 2 different support structures.  T-Mobile can’t help you.  Spectrum support as well as carrier back end code is different.

Ok, but what i understand from Samsumng support is, that spectrum support on Snapdragon Version is same across globe. 

Usually, the spectrum variations are there in iphone variants across regions., but not there in newer Galaxy phones

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Ok, but what i understand from Samsumng support is, that spectrum support on Snapdragon Version is same across globe. 

Usually, the spectrum variations are there in iphone variants across regions., but not there in newer Galaxy phones

Snapdragon version is not the same globally.  Check out XDA to see why and what could be done. 

Phones just don’t work well with 5G yet.  Manufacturers get the “5G” indicator on and that’s good enough for them.

Look for “Prefer 5G NR Mode” in the developer menu and make sure it’s set to NSA + SA.  My Sony Xperia 1 III has a lot of problems with 5G because the US model is intentionally crippled.  It has no SA 5G and NSA barely works.

It looks like you bit the bullet.  Do you think it was worth it?  I live in a subdivision that isn’t so crowded so cell signal sucks here.  My experience with wifi calling has been poor too but I kinda feel like if I’m paying for a premium phone I want all the features available to me.  I’ve heard the Xperia 1 III also has other issues in addition to wifi calling, like problems connecting to 5G sometimes. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

It looks like you bit the bullet.  Do you think it was worth it?  I live in a subdivision that isn’t so crowded so cell signal sucks here.  My experience with wifi calling has been poor too but I kinda feel like if I’m paying for a premium phone I want all the features available to me.  I’ve heard the Xperia 1 III also has other issues in addition to wifi calling, like problems connecting to 5G sometimes. 

last post i read about this device mentioned that its private labeled to Verizon

Userlevel 1
Badge

Had same problem with my S22+

I fixed it.

Try typing *#2263# in the phone dialer

that should open a service mode menu

select [1] or [2] for your active SIM, [1] is physical SIM [2] is eSIM

press [8] Select all bands

then [9] Apply band configuration

On my S22+, 5G enabled and worked instantly when I pressed [9]