Question

No notifications when I text myself

Badge

I use an app that sends out sms messages to myself as reminders throughout the day (name of the app is textra). Lately, i am not getting notificatied for messages (sms) I send to myself. I can see the sms content when I open up my messages thread, however, they show up without triggering a notification. Tried calling tech support to no avail and it took 30 mins for the tech to understand the problem statement. Is there anyone who can address this?

Additionally, here is the email thread from the devs at textra confirming it's a TMobile issue:

Hi,

It's a T-Mobile related issue as T-mobile now do not support or allow users to send messages to themselves (their mobile number), this is the same on all messaging applications. You may also test with your Android Stock / System messaging app which is the same as well. Please contact your carrier for immediate assistance on this.

Should you need any assistance, please feel free to email us.

Mandy - Textra SMS Team

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook
Helpful? Click to give Mandy thanks!

Me@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello team,

I use a scheduling app (auto text) to send myself sms reminders for tasks throughout the day/week/month. I receive yhe sms but never get notified. I have all notifications turned on through textra app and system. This used to work.

One additional detail, I used to see my texts I'd send to myself (manually or through auto text) as 2 lines...one as sent and one as received. I am no longer seeing this and only see a one received sms, but again, do no lt get notified for it.

Best,

Sent from my T-Mobile 5G Device
Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/AAb9ysg>

Powered by UserVoice.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I use to use Textra but the notificationd for Tmobile quit showing so I gave up trying to find a solution and just switched my sms app.

Badge

So, do notifications work for a different app? Would you please share which one?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The app controls what gets a notification and what doesn't.  This is definitely a Extra issue.  If you want a similar experience to Extra with a lot better customer support.  Give Pulse a try.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

i looked back and noticed this as well going back into last year. might be a platform change up on their side..my primary text i send to myself is still there anyways..so not killing me one way or another with not getting the duplicate text back..

this would be with Google messages on my V60.

The message comes in but it never notifies me. Ridiculous! Why?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

might be because youre still in the text/chat it was sent from possibly?

i dont get the response texts period. not life altering other than i used it as a tester to make sure texts are coming in fine.

This is new behavior.  I can also see no echo since Jan 14, 2023.  There is no Delivered badge on the messages either.  Just says Sent.  SMS from others still working fine.  Tested on Android 13, Textra.

This is definitely not an app issue. I deleted Textra from my device, and started using stock text app. Same issues. It just shows that you sent something to yourself. No notifications what so ever. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

yeah not a life altering issue but it is something i used to use as a diagnostics tool to see if texts are coming through fine etc whenever i got a “ive texted you (insert number of times here) and havent heard back from you” text.

Yes, it is useful as a diagnostic.  I noticed 5G service handoffs can be flaky sometimes.  If the SMS test doesn't work, you can switch your phone to airplane mode and back to bring cell service back online.  Another use case is to test on an airplane while WiFi calling is enabled and you have WiFi.  On some flights SMS works over WiFi and on others only messaging apps do.  It is good to know what works on a long flight.

It isn't critical, but you wonder why a simple loopback test is now prevented. It is almost always supported in any communications equipment for basic diagnostics.

I have the same issue. It happened after I switched to the S23U. With my Note 10 and my S20Ultra I'd use my own texts also as reminders. For example if I subscribed for something for a free trial for 3 months, I'd schedule texts to myself several times like a week, 5 days and 2 days before the renewal so I'd be reminded to cancel. I don't get them anymore. Yes they show as sent but that isn't useful 3 months from now as a reminder... the whole idea is to get an audible/visible reminder. Or if I want to remember to do something I now text myself but I don't get an alert. I have to go through the sent messages to find the "reminders"... Do I know there's other ways to set reminders? Yes! Did they have to mess with this very simple feature? No..... it happens with textra and the stock messaging app. It's undoubtedly a TMOBILE issue.

I have the same issue. Schedule texts (with the regular Samsung messaging app) on my S21 Ultra to myself stopped either on Jan 18 or Jan 19 2023.  As the last text that I got a reply on was Jan 17, 2023.
I would use this all the time to send reminders to myself and miss this so much. 

When I realized that I had missed the first reminder I call T-mobile support in February.  They got up to a 2nd level tech since the 1st level tech didn’t understand the issue.  The 2nd level tech even acknowledged that you should be able to do this.  He said he would have customers send themselves a text to verify that a phone was working. Unfortunately he was not able to do any further troubleshooting because at the time they were having a system issue.  He told me he would call me back in a few days but I never heard from him again.

I’ve tested this on my the other android T-Mobile phones in our house and we all have the same issue. They are all Samsung’s so I'm not sure if it’s a Samsung software issue but if I recall correctly the tech had an iphone and it was happening to him too.  I hope that they can fix this so I can start sending scheduled messages to myself again and get the replies.

I send myself text messages as reminders too and ran into the same problem with the standard messaging app.  I fixed the problem by adding my email address to the recipients (along with my mobile number). Hope this helps.