Sticky Blog

Need to unlock a device? Here's some information to get you started.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

The magic of cell phones is that they are our companion wherever we go. They connect us to friends and family, work, entertainment, and everything in between. Cell phones have also been a convenient place for us to store our treasures like pictures and music. Changing phones can be a headache, which is why unlocking our devices is so important if we are traveling to other countries or changing wireless providers.

Let's take a look at the requirements and processes for unlocking your phone.

Eligibility requirements

To network unlock your device, you must first meet certain eligibility requirements. Some of the requirements are different based on your account type, but some things don't change. The device must be sold by T-Mobile. It mustn't be reported as lost, stolen, or broken. The account associated to the device must be in good standing. T-Mobile may need proof of purchase or some additional information, but most of the time the unlock process is seamless and easy.

If you are on a postpaid account, the unlock requirements are pretty straightforward. Make sure the device is paid off and it was used on your account for a minimum of 40 days. How easy is that?! :D

If you have a prepaid plan, your device will be eligible for unlock 365 days after the day it was initially activated on the account. One year can be a very long time to wait, but don't fret — there's another option available. Prepaid accounts that activated the device at least 14 days ago and placed $100 in refills per line are also eligible for unlock. Each line can only have two unlocks per year, though, so keep that in mind if you are trying to unlock a third device on the same phone number.

Process to unlock

So how does the unlock happen? As soon as your device is eligible, you will receive a text message notification letting you know that you can go through the unlock process. It only takes a couple of minutes as long as you are connected to the T-Mobile data network or reliable Wi-Fi.

Android devices are diverse, so the exact steps vary. Basically, you can go into settings and then to Network, Connections, or About Phone. You want to find the option for Network Unlock or Device Unlock. Finally, select Permanent Unlock and let it load. It may restart itself, but if it doesn't, you'll want to restart the phone and then you are ready to roll.

If you use iPhone, you just insert the new SIM card and restart the phone. You can also follow the normal steps to activate the eSIM with the other service provider like normal. Easy peasy!

To sum it up

I love that we have reduced the effort that it takes to unlock devices by sending notifications proactively when the eligibility requirements are met and empowered device owners with the ability to complete the steps easily right from the phone. It saves so much time because there is no need to contact customer support or wait for a ticket to be filed to gain approval.

I hope this helps answer any questions about our unlock process. You can find more information about our unlocking devices on our Support page. I would love to hear any thoughts or other questions that y’all have about unlocking devices.

101 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Do you only have one line on your account? The $100 refill amount has to be fulfilled per line. If you have 4 lines, you have to refill $400 even if you are not trying to unlock all 4 phones. 

How many devices have you unlocked in the last 12 months? Each phone number can only unlock 2 devices within 12 months, so you will need to wait if you have exceeded that already. This is a rolling timeline, not calendar year, so if you unlocked devices late last year, they still count towards this limit. 

When and where was the device purchased? If it was purchased through a third party retailer like BestBuy or Ebay, the unlock process is a bit different. 

There is only one line on my account.Unlock the first mobile phone.Bought at tmobile store in 2022.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I know that you requested the unlock a couple times. Did you ever receive any email or text message about the status of your requests?

Have you attempted the unlock steps on your device? Insert non-T-Mobile SIM and restart the device or Factory reset the phone and then insert a non-T-Mobile SIM during the setup process

Did not receive text messages and emails.

Oh,Is that him?

According to the prompt, I finished,Still not unlocked

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

That is the email that I was talking about. 😁

When you put in the nonT-Mobile SIM and restart the phone, what do you see?

when I put in the nonT-Mobile SIM ,My Apple phone cannot be activated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

but does it say its still locked or that it just cant be activated?

Hint, still locked.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hint, still locked.

Have you tried using Apple’s guideline?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201328

Thank you. What's the reason? Let me ask the customer service representative.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I don’t see the date that you received that email. It says specifically to wait 48 hours and then to follow the unlock steps. Now that it has been longer than 48 hours, have you master reset your device and set it up with your non T-Mobile SIM card in it again?

I followed the steps of unlocking. The phone still has a lock.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I followed the steps of unlocking. The phone still has a lock.

I really appreciate you taking the time to let us know what you have done to try and unlock your device. Unfortunately, we don’t have access to account details on this forum so I can’t see any other reason that these steps would not be working for you. I know you have reached out to customer service before and you have the email saying it is unlocked. It seems like it is time to take the device into the nearest store to have someone take a look at the device and help push through the unlock. If they need any assistance while you are there, they can contact our care teams also, so you get all the support you need in order to walk out of the store with the device fully unlocked and ready to go. 

I bought a second hand iphone (advertised as unlocked) to use overseas. I’m a tmobile customer for years. I used the phone in the US for a short while with no problem. After I traveled , I bought a new sim card from the country I’m in now but it didn’t work . It appears that the phone is still locked to tmobile. I checked the eligibility to unlock it using its IMEI, and fortunately it is. I contacted tmobile customer service to unlock it remotely. They said they need the original owner to contact them to request the unlocking!!! Like how can I reach that person?! I bought it through a seller on Amazon( whom I will report for false info!) and this seller sells hundreds of them. It’s impossible to know who’s the original owner:(. 
the agent offered to escalate the matter for consideration, but that’s it. I’m pissed off as I cannot use the phone overseas even though it’s eligible to be unlocked . Anyone went through that? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I bought a second hand iphone (advertised as unlocked) to use overseas. I’m a tmobile customer for years. I used the phone in the US for a short while with no problem. After I traveled , I bought a new sim card from the country I’m in now but it didn’t work . It appears that the phone is still locked to tmobile. I checked the eligibility to unlock it using its IMEI, and fortunately it is. I contacted tmobile customer service to unlock it remotely. They said they need the original owner to contact them to request the unlocking!!! Like how can I reach that person?! I bought it through a seller on Amazon( whom I will report for false info!) and this seller sells hundreds of them. It’s impossible to know who’s the original owner:(. 
the agent offered to escalate the matter for consideration, but that’s it. I’m pissed off as I cannot use the phone overseas even though it’s eligible to be unlocked . Anyone went through sth like that? 

How it sounds it happens quite a bit. Even though it was advertised as unlocked, in hindsight, you should of put a Verizon sim in it to check.

Good luck on the escalation, I bought a used HTC  on ebay a long time and was able to unlock it once I met the usage requirements.

My phone was previously purchased at sprint and the device was paid off, so I went to sprint to unlock the phone, and they told me that the phone is now transferred to t mobile, so I went to the t mobile rep, but the rep told me the system I can't find my phone in , I want to know how to unlock my phone in this situation

Badge

Well here is something for everyone to ponder on. Why in the hell do we as consumers are imposed on a set of rules that force us to wait so many days, or meet this requirement, or to simple be in good standing to unlock a phone. It shouldn't even be a issue. If myself(not speaking for the masses) spend my own money to outright buy the phone then I should be able to do whatever I want I want to. So what is con side of this idealogy. I bought and paid for right. This is just like everything else that we out up with on a daily basis but has come to be norm for us. Just another way to control. In short why should anyone care if you want to unlock your phone. I say stop regulating so stupid and find something more important to regulate. Here is one for them. Regulate the A.I. programs. That's more important and not me unlocking phone. This is strictly my opinion and not meant to offend anyone. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Replys are welcomed let's hear from y'all.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Well here is something for everyone to ponder on. Why in the hell do we as consumers are imposed on a set of rules that force us to wait so many days, or meet this requirement, or to simple be in good standing to unlock a phone. It shouldn't even be a issue. If myself(not speaking for the masses) spend my own money to outright buy the phone then I should be able to do whatever I want I want to. So what is con side of this idealogy. I bought and paid for right. This is just like everything else that we out up with on a daily basis but has come to be norm for us. Just another way to control. In short why should anyone care if you want to unlock your phone. I say stop regulating so stupid and find something more important to regulate. Here is one for them. Regulate the A.I. programs. That's more important and not me unlocking phone. This is strictly my opinion and not meant to offend anyone. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Replys are welcomed let's hear from y'all.

Much like a computers you own the hardware but the software is still under the End User License Agreement or Eula.

Badge

gramps28: You do have valid point there yes. But if you was to scroll back a few inserts on  this, it seemed that some had some type of problem with this topic. I see it as this I don't own the software. You mentioned I own the hardware and I don't own that one either. So for me to let's say alter the software it doesn't screw yours or anyone elses up does it. Only mine would have it. It still falls within my boundaries no one else's. That was a really good point to.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

How it looks you bought a phone from someone that should of returned it to Tmobile. Even if you were to get it unlocked Tmobile can always blacklist it since they technically own it.

The only way to buy a used phone in my opinion is through Swappa since they have rules on the phones they sell. Usually factory unlocked and no outstanding payments.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

My phone was previously purchased at sprint and the device was paid off, so I went to sprint to unlock the phone, and they told me that the phone is now transferred to t mobile, so I went to the t mobile rep, but the rep told me the system I can't find my phone in , I want to know how to unlock my phone in this situation

since your phone didnt start with TMO its info more than likely isnt in their system even after the switch. you might contact TMO and have them check. if it isnt the info will need to be added into their system so it can then be unlocked.

Badge

Yeah TMobile has denied me to so I have a message for you. I don't really need you to unlock my phone. I figured that I would give y'all the benefit of doubt. Regardless of what you tell me I am going to unlock it myself. I don't need y'all's permission. I will flash the international OS to my phone or I might go with a custom ROM of my choice. Then grant myself super user rights.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

they weren't going to unlock it anyways lol..at this point they can care less as to what you do with it..they just wont unlock it due to the fact that you met none of the criteria.

root it..dont root it..brick it..dont brick it..fully up to you