Badge

How do I set up a guest option?

icon

Best answer by bocaboy2591 23 March 2023, 12:47

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

There is no dedicated guest mode, but you could create an additional network on your gateway for their usage. I'm assuming you have the Arcadyan KVD21 5G gateway. Use the phone app to create a new network. After launching the app, tap the Networks tab on the bottom of the screen, then tap the “+” sign at the bottom right of the next screen. Create a new network with the parameters you choose. Give it a different name than your main network, e.g., KimkGuest. That’s the network name (SSID) your guests will use. That will keep them off your main network and allow you to easily change the password from time to time for additional security. As an example, for a guest network, you might choose to hide your original network but leave this one visible, or visa versa, depending on your purpose in creating this new Guest network.

When you're done, scroll to the bottom of the page and tap Save. The gateway will reboot and you will now have both your original network as well as your new Guest network.

Good luck! 

How does this create a separate place for guests that will prevent them from messing with the settings? It just doesn't sound right. As a much smarter person than I stated, “A guest network is a DMZ network or completely separate IP subnet, where people connected to your wireless network can not access devices"

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

They won't have the phone app, which is the only way to “mess” with your settings. The only thing they'll be able to do is connect to the Internet. If they go to the router (192.168.12.1) all they'll see is the home page with no way to configure the router, same as you.

Badge

There is no dedicated guest mode, but you could create an additional network on your gateway for their usage. I'm assuming you have the Arcadyan KVD21 5G gateway. Use the phone app to create a new network. After launching the app, tap the Networks tab on the bottom of the screen, then tap the “+” sign at the bottom right of the next screen. Create a new network with the parameters you choose. Give it a different name than your main network, e.g., KimkGuest. That’s the network name (SSID) your guests will use. That will keep them off your main network and allow you to easily change the password from time to time for additional security. As an example, for a guest network, you might choose to hide your original network but leave this one visible, or visa versa, depending on your purpose in creating this new Guest network.

When you're done, scroll to the bottom of the page and tap Save. The gateway will reboot and you will now have both your original network as well as your new Guest network.

Good luck! 

Thank You!  Did exactly what I was looking to do!

Thanks! You must be one of those smarter than me people as well!