Solved

Anyone else had FTP problems using Hone Internet?

• 14 September 2021
  • 32 replies

Badge

I am testing T-M Home Internet and although it has Ben generally good so far, I just ran into a problem when I attempted a routine FTP upload using CyberDuck to a website I maintain. When I try to connect I get an Interoperability Failure message. My ISP says the website is fine and they are able to FTP to it and it t seems I have some kind of communication or network problem.

What are other people’s experiences doing FTP on T-M Home Internet?

icon

Best answer by Kevin Harris 20 September 2021, 03:21

View original

32 replies

FileZilla ftp does not work with the T-Mobile Gateway … you must enable the SFTP option on FileZilla.

Steps to enable SFTP on FileZilla:

1. Open FileZilla, click the File dropdown menu and select Site Manager
  2. Add a new site
  3. Select the SFTP - SSH File Transfer Protocol
  4. Enter User, Password and click Connect

FileZilla should now connect to you server ;-)

I just got TMobile gateway and I use Mac OS and am using Fetch as my FTP client. When it works it’s great. It’s frustrating that in order to upload files I have to keep trying for several minis… sometimes 30 mins to the point where I want to give up!  I can often get to the root directory but if I click down into folders it just times out. Same with Cyber Duck. WHAT is going on! Why does it work sometimes but seconds later it doesn't?

Thank you dear Frontrunner! I followed your instructions, but also added a crucial Port 22 assignment to your list:

“FileZilla ftp does not work with the T-Mobile Gateway … you must enable the SFTP option on FileZilla.

Steps to enable SFTP on FileZilla:

1. Open FileZilla, click the File dropdown menu and select Site Manager
  2. Add a new site
  3. Select the SFTP - SSH File Transfer Protocol
  4. Enter the Port number: 22
  5. Enter User, Password and click Connect”

Now it works like a charm, ending several mind-numbing hours of teeth gnashing. 😬

FileZilla ftp does not work with the T-Mobile Gateway … you must enable the SFTP option on FileZilla.

Steps to enable SFTP on FileZilla:

1. Open FileZilla, click the File dropdown menu and select Site Manager
  2. Add a new site
  3. Select the SFTP - SSH File Transfer Protocol
  4. Enter User, Password and click Connect

FileZilla should now connect to you server ;-)

You CAN  use regular FTP over explicit TLS just fine with T-mobile home internet/filezilla. While some may argue that SFTP is “better” or “more secure”  TLS provides plenty of security for non-government/secure ULs/DLs I’ve been using this setting for 5 months now with zero issues and I connect at least 2 times a day on average. Cheers!

I'm currently experiencing issues with connecting to any FTP on my Mac, despite trying multiple applications including Transmit, Forklift, FileZilla, and CyberDuck. As a photographer and web designer, it's imperative for me to be able to use FTP. Previously, I had no issues with Spectrum, but since switching to the 5G Gateway, I've been facing these problems.

Despite contacting T-Mobile's internet tech support, they were unable to offer any assistance, simply directing me to this forum which I had already visited. I've tried several solutions suggested here, but none have resolved the issue. Needless to say, this has been a big bummer, especially given the excellent internet speeds and pricing offered by T-Mobile.

I'm currently experiencing issues with connecting to any FTP on my Mac, despite trying multiple applications including Transmit, Forklift, FileZilla, and CyberDuck. As a photographer and web designer, it's imperative for me to be able to use FTP. Previously, I had no issues with Spectrum, but since switching to the 5G Gateway, I've been facing these problems.

Despite contacting T-Mobile's internet tech support, they were unable to offer any assistance, simply directing me to this forum which I had already visited. I've tried several solutions suggested here, but none have resolved the issue. Needless to say, this has been a big bummer, especially given the excellent internet speeds and pricing offered by T-Mobile.

This is unfortunate for sure.  I use FTP all the time with both MacOS, AND Windows, heck and even Linux with some machines as I run a gaming clan so I have several machines operating over this service. I don’t have any solution other than what’s already been offered here, BUT I will give you some weird talking points that might trigger a thought process or two since you’re apparently versed well enough in tech to try things etc.   When I first got the service 3 months ago, NOTHING worked, and I mean anything IPv4 (the usual xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx IP stacks) . I could never connect to anything gaming wise due to most games even the AAA ones still using the IPv4 protocol, and not the IPv6 protocol T-Mobile is using for their cellular internet.  After many restarts of the black box/ cellular radio model KV021, and even a firmware upgrade, things just started working out of nowhere. I too, tried so many things.

what I DID do differently than macOS is my machine’s firewall has ports 21/22 open both inbound and outbound on every machine I’m using FTP on… You cannot mess with ANY of this stuff in the router/cellular radio provided by Tmobile as it’s IPv6 not IPv4 etc. BUT after being sure that every machine I use FTP on has ports 21/22 open in the software firewall of Windows, and Linux (macos also google is your friend on that one) things work. I mean everything.

I know this was kinda a rant/novel, but I hope it helps people somehow. Cheers!

I downloaded the free Proton VPN and am now able to use Filezilla for FTP with Transfer Mode set back to Passive.