Solved

Apple TV 3rd Gen not connecting to Tmobile Home Internet; it is not asking for password and give connection error.

Badge

Apple TV is not connecting to Tmobile Home internet. When I select WiFi, Apple TV does not ask for a WiFi password. And gives error, can’t connect to WiFi. The Apple TV does ask for password if I select other WiFi like Fios etc. Should I create a separate 2.5G network, and what configuration would I need to setup for this. I spoke with Apple and also T-Mobile tech support, no one has a clue, Thnx

icon

Best answer by Malikshoaib 22 July 2022, 19:33

View original

10 replies

Badge

I just fixed it. I added a new network (+) sign, named the network in SSID, selected frequency band as 2.5 GHZ, then used WPA version as WPA/WPA2, WPA encryption mode to TKIP & AES. It worked and asked for WiFi password when I selected the newly created network. Hope this might help others. Thnx

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

you might even mark your last post there as the answer so its the first thing people find when trying to do a site search for the same issue.

I could not figure out how to implement Malikshoaib’s solution, but we were having this exact same issue, and it was fixed by hooking up the T-Mobile gateway box to the Apple TV box with an ethernet cable. Apple customer service said the 3rd generation boxes are considered “vintage”, so they don’t necessarily work with all wifi.

To use you Apple TV 3rd generation with T-mobile 5G Home Internet, you need to download the T-mobile Home Internet App on your cellphone, follow the instructions to create a new user account, this will allow you to change the T-mobile Home Internet Device settings. While the APP connected to your Internet Device, go to NETWORK, under the Advanced settings, change the Frequency band to 5GHz, the WPA Version to WPA/WPA2, click Save, your Home Internet Device will restart, and your Apple TV is able to connect to the network.

I had the same issue and was able to use a couple of suggestions together to solve. Certainly, connecting it with a Ethernet cat5 cable solves the problem, but that forces my gateway to sit in an inopportune place for a Wi-Fi signal for everything else. What we ended up doing is going to the network settings on the app and we just changed the WPA version to “WPA2”. That keeps the security decent and still allowed my old AppleTV, and also other old iPhones that currently are used as weather stations and radios, to connect to the gateway. 

I just fixed it. I added a new network (+) sign, named the network in SSID, selected frequency band as 2.5 GHZ, then used WPA version as WPA/WPA2, WPA encryption mode to TKIP & AES. It worked and asked for WiFi password when I selected the newly created network. Hope this might help others. Thnx

Nice it worked. Thanks

Badge

To use you Apple TV 3rd generation with T-mobile 5G Home Internet, you need to download the T-mobile Home Internet App on your cellphone, follow the instructions to create a new user account, this will allow you to change the T-mobile Home Internet Device settings. While the APP connected to your Internet Device, go to NETWORK, under the Advanced settings, change the Frequency band to 5GHz, the WPA Version to WPA/WPA2, click Save, your Home Internet Device will restart, and your Apple TV is able to connect to the network.

So after you connect to the internet is safe to go back to the way it was before hand? Thanks. 

It took me a while to find the network setting on my Apple TV. My former internet provider’s network was still listed, even though I had already disconnected from it. 

I just erased that setting and added my new T-Mobile network and its password. Then I was up and running. I didn’t have to make any changes to the T-Mobile settings. 

Apple TV is not connecting to Tmobile Home internet. When I select WiFi, Apple TV does not ask for a WiFi password. And gives error, can’t connect to WiFi. The Apple TV does ask for password if I select other WiFi like Fios etc. Should I create a separate 2.5G network, and what configuration would I need to setup for this. I spoke with Apple and also T-Mobile tech support, no one has a clue, Thnx

Thank you! This worked creating the 2nd network as described above for my 3rd generation AppleTV to connect or even let us put a network and password in. **Had the exact same issue as above.  help desk/chat person - couldn’t even get a convo started with them, so searched here! Thx much!!! 

Still not able to connect my old Apple TV device to T-Mobile internet 

followed the above suggestions- still giving me error message 

does anyone know what could be wrong?