Can't connect Google Mini to T-Mobile Home Internet

• 8 February 2021
  • 40 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I've tried every recommendation in the book restarting the "T-Mobile" device, the mini. It will go through the entire process of adding the device and at the very end, after it's verified the connection, it suddenly says it can't connect to the network and fails the addition.

40 replies

Same problem here.  I think it might be confused between 2.4 and 5g. 

Message me if you find out.

I’m having the same issue.  I was finally able to get it to connect by playing with turning bluetooth on/off during the setup and not having my Google Assistance device automatically reconnect to my home wifi.  But to be honest, I don’t know what actually made it work.  However, the next morning it had disconnected again and I’ve been unable to reconnect again.  Has anyone found a solution?

Userlevel 1

+1 here. Please help, someone from T-Mobile! Definitely an issue. We need some firmware update from T-Mobile on this.

Several other threads here mention that Google devices work fine if you use your own WiFi router (turn off the WiFi signal from T-Mobile, plug your other WiFi into the Ethernet cord). It's ridiculous that this is the only solution.

(There's also some incorrect thread here mentioning T-Mobile blocks third party DNS providers, and points to this as a possible cause of Google devices failing. I tested this and found it to be false; using a third-party DNS provider like Cloudflare or Google works fine so that thread is a red herring)

In my case, my Mini speaker eventually did connect (I just left it in the broken state "there's a glitch" overnight). Now I can ask it questions and get a reply but can't stream any audio by voice ("play the news" or "play some music" both respond with "ok" and play nothing) or cast audio from an app like Spotify on my phone/computer.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Having the same issues and I've tried everything! The old LTE Gateway worked fine in this regard. Why is the new Gateway crippled, why are certain settings not available, and why won't my Google Home devices connect or stay connected?

Userlevel 1
Badge

I just got T-Mobile home internet and switched all of my devices to use it and I’m having the same issue with the Google mini. It goes all the way through setup and then fails and doesn’t work.

Badge

It’s not just google devices, it’s all google services, including gmail and many others.

Changing your dns doesn’t matter. 

You can use a VPN, and get around it to get your google things to load. Otherwise, the router is for some reason blocking google IP addresses. This is highly frustrating.

I am having the same issue, but I have one Google Home device working, but the other will not work at all. I am most likely going to cancel this service as the downloads suck and my ping test is over 200+. I did all of the restarts, reset, reboot, and reached out to customer service with no luck. They never return calls or follow-up. Therefore, I will take my business elsewhere.

After reading this thread I see I am not alone, This is very frustrating. I have two Google mini neither will work but I have 3 Amazon echo dots all working fine, sure would be nice to get a fix from T-Mobile for this issue.

I called T-Mobile and at first they did not admit that there was an issue but I told the guy to google this and you would see there is a problem. T-Mobile needs to address this if they want to be successful in their internet rollout. 

I agree 100% with you I just purchased and set up the gateway router a week agon and this is an ongoing problem hope T-Mobile works this out and fast 

I just wanted to add my voice to the chorus here. My Google Home Mini does the same thing, in that it goes through the setup, but then fails at the completion of the setup.

Does anyone from T-Mobile read these messages? Or is this all customers? 

Charles in Glendale AZ

I was having the same issues until late last week when my firmware updated to 178 and *so far* everything has been working perfectly. My Google home/home minis/home hubs now all connect and have been working flawlessly and my Chromecast with Google TV is the same. Previously none of the Homes/hubs would connect and the Chromecast would connect, but some of the apps such as Hulu (regular Hulu, not Hulu Live) would not load. Additionally, when pressing the Google Assistant button on the Chromecast remote nothing would happen. Everything nowworks correctly. Fingers crossed that the firmware is pushed out to everyone soon and the fixes are complete and permanent!

Badge

I am on the phone with them about this right now. I am using the Cycliner Router thingy.  The woman I am speaking with claims she is Level 3 Support (I have that number from a previous call).  However, she first wants to try and connect me to the 5Ghz band b/c she says by default the router is connected by default to the 2.4 Ghz band. But I am telling her I am set up with both by default - as I see in the GUI -- (i.e. this is how it came; I did no tweaking).  But this is odd b/c everything I have read on the internet says the reason we are having this issue with Wyze camera, Google Nest Mini speakers and Echo devices is b/c those devices need 2.4 Ghz (and not 5 Ghz).  I am getting the feeling that I am talking to someone who thinks she’s is Level 3 Support.  Btw she just got back on line. She says that those devices are not supported. But a new firmware upgrade is needed.  I am not on the list to get that upgrade she says. My software/firmware ends in 0168.  That means according to her, that I am on the older one (relatively speaking).  From a conversation a week or so ago with a legit Level 3 Support, that gentleman said these newer routers (the cylinder ones) don't support much tweaking.  He suggested I use my replaced Time Capsule (apple world, speak) which I am currently using behind the T-Mobile Router for mac mini Time Machine backup and as a Gigabyte Switch, to control the 2.4 GHz band and set up those incorrigible devices to the Time Capsule. I am going to need my tech friend to come over for that. I am a knob.  I just sound kinda tech knowledgable, at least to me.  The purported Level 3 Support woman says she is going to call me back later. I will come back and report which she informs me.  

+1 here. Please help, someone from T-Mobile! Definitely an issue. We need some firmware update from T-Mobile on this.

Several other threads here mention that Google devices work fine if you use your own WiFi router (turn off the WiFi signal from T-Mobile, plug your other WiFi into the Ethernet cord). It's ridiculous that this is the only solution.

(There's also some incorrect thread here mentioning T-Mobile blocks third party DNS providers, and points to this as a possible cause of Google devices failing. I tested this and found it to be false; using a third-party DNS provider like Cloudflare or Google works fine so that thread is a red herring)

In my case, my Mini speaker eventually did connect (I just left it in the broken state "there's a glitch" overnight). Now I can ask it questions and get a reply but can't stream any audio by voice ("play the news" or "play some music" both respond with "ok" and play nothing) or cast audio from an app like Spotify on my phone/computer.

Also having this issue

Userlevel 3
Badge

I was having the same issues until late last week when my firmware updated to 178 and *so far* everything has been working perfectly. My Google home/home minis/home hubs now all connect and have been working flawlessly and my Chromecast with Google TV is the same. Previously none of the Homes/hubs would connect and the Chromecast would connect, but some of the apps such as Hulu (regular Hulu, not Hulu Live) would not load. Additionally, when pressing the Google Assistant button on the Chromecast remote nothing would happen. Everything nowworks correctly. Fingers crossed that the firmware is pushed out to everyone soon and the fixes are complete and permanent!

I'm having the same experience now. I posted about two weeks ago at my wits end about the Home devices not connecting or staying connected. It seems that the new update and/or something that's been tweaked on T-Mobile's end has fixed some issues and all my devices have been connected for over a week now and all work fine. Before I was able to get them connected but they would glitch out or by the time I got home from work, they were disconnected. Fingers crossed. Now if we could just get some more settings and if my service wouldn't drop out so much during the day, then I'll be happy, lol!

Userlevel 1
Badge

The firmware update to 1.2003.03.0178 fixed the Google Home Mini issue for me too.

So what has worked for me is to factory reset the gateway device. Once you set it up log into the settings online (192.168.12.1) and divide the 2.4hz and 5gz. But after you separate them go to configure ssid 5, under set ssid to configure make sure to go through all of them and turn off any "enable ssid" other than the ssid 5. For me the ssid 9 was named the same as my 2.4 and Google devices don't like 5gz. Sorry if this is confusing wording but I hope it helps. 

I tried all the above with T-Mobile support (and Google support) and still couldn’t get the two to work together. I just got off the phone with T-Mobile support and they shipped the Home Internet Gateway router knowing that it doesn’t work with Google Home devices. They may offer a firmware or other update in the future that fixes the issue, but for now, I was told that they don’t work together. 

The fact that T-Mobile shipped a router/modem knowing it wouldn’t work with smart home devices (or at least Googles) is the kind of thing you’d expect from one of those new brands that you see on Instagram lol. Definite hit to the T-Mobile rep. Got a credit on my bill since it basically doesn’t work. Going to give it a couple more weeks and if there’s no update cancel the service and go back to Verizon or something. Bummer.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I tried all the above with T-Mobile support (and Google support) and still couldn’t get the two to work together. I just got off the phone with T-Mobile support and they shipped the Home Internet Gateway router knowing that it doesn’t work with Google Home devices. They may offer a firmware or other update in the future that fixes the issue, but for now, I was told that they don’t work together.

My Google Home Mini works normally with the gateway, from the first day I set the gateway up four months ago.  However, I didn’t try to  configure it. I kept the wifi password the same as it was for my old DSL modem. At first, when I set up the gateway, I went by the number of characters they suggested for the wifi password, or whatever, and once I had one device set up, I used the “change the wifi password (SSID)” function in the app, changed it to my old wifi password and all my smart devices connected normally.

There are about a dozen known quirks of T mobile home internet, and not working with google home devices (including the Google Home Mini) is not one of them.

There are at least 300,000 users of T mobile home internet and probably more than a couple thousand who use Google Home devices. It’s so important to me, I don’t know what I’d do without it, if it didn’t work. So, my suggestion is if you have your old connection service provider still, see if you can get the Google Home Mini working with that, and then do a factory reset (paper clip in hole at top of black inset on gateway), go through the entire setup again, but this time at some point, after one device is connected, change your wifi password to the one the mini uses in your old wifi setup, and see if that works. I wish I could be more help, and offer something simpler to do. Maybe someone else will.

So if the answer for everyone else is as simple as it was for me, it's almost blindingly obvious. Make sure you factory reset the Google Home Mini with the tiny round button on the bottom. Hold it for like 30 second, then set it up again. Voila.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

So if the answer for everyone else is as simple as it was for me, it's almost blindingly obvious. Make sure you factory reset the Google Home Mini with the tiny round button on the bottom. Hold it for like 30 second, then set it up again. Voila.

Good suggestion. I recommend to people that when they’re setting the gateway up for the first time, they get it working with one device, whether it is a phone or a laptop. Then after it is all set up, restart the gateway and restart your laptop or phone, and make sure you’re all signed in, signed up automatically, and that the internet works.

Then change your SSID name and password in the app to what  you had before and that should add all your devices, and restart the gateway yet again after doing that, because if some of the devices don’t connect the first time, they will connect after the restart after the old SSID name and password has been established.

After all, the Google Home Mini or all these smart devices, are just using wifi, and wifi is wifi, whether it is coming from the gateway’s router or a separate router.

As far as the factory reset on the Google Home Mini, first I’d try just unplugging the mini and plugging it back in, and as long as you are using the same SSID and wifi password as you had on your old setup, it should work. Just doing that can kind of re-register it with the wifi network.

Lastly, sometimes the Google Home experiences some quirks of its own that are unrelated to your home internet. When I first got my Google Home mini like three years ago, it was so slow, and barely worked. I got on the online help with a rep and explained that I’ve used computers for 50 years and what am I doing wrong. It turned out Google Home was having a problem at that time. The next day and for months after it worked  great.

I'm trying to access the main settings for the network using 192.168.12.1 but looks like it has different password for the admin, does anyone know the default password? I tried the one under the router already

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I'm trying to access the main settings for the network using 192.168.12.1 but looks like it has different password for the admin, does anyone know the default password? I tried the one under the router already

I’m assuming you selected “System” and it’s asking you to enter admin and a password. The password is the one on the bottom of the gateway. After entering the password, the first screen I come to is one that allows you to change your password to something easier to remember or enter. Do you think you may have done that before and forgot?