Question

FAST 5688W Home Internet Gateway - for no reason after almost a year - is now unstable - why?

• 21 April 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

I’ve had this FAST 5688W Home Internet Gateway for nearly a year, no issues.

Now, since last week and for no reason, just using it as we have all this time - is now unstable - why?

I’ve gone through the “Setup” application from the QR Code again - to get to “It’s Configured”. 

It offers me to reset the access pw back to default - why would I want to do that? 

Additionally, since we use a WiFi extender we, thank God, were able to notice that the 2.4G CONNECTS  and ALLOWS INTERNET TRAFFIC, but the 5G does NOT.
 - Moreover, connecting to the Gateway Directly, it’s SSID - not needing the WiFi extender (they have their own ID’s - it “connects” but NO PAGES are viewable. So, all connect but ONLY the 2.4G allows traffic/data flow. 

Again, nothing changed on my stuff - but noticed some glitchyness and then this about a week ago - NETWORK CHANGES? I see when log into the “Admin” page - “We now have…. used the app” - what app? So, you T-Mobile CHANGED SOMETHING ON THE NETWORK, again - and broke something else. You DO THIS as I’ve experienced in my time with you from when you were “Voicestream” - yes, long time. One day, I will leave. 

So - what happened? This the 08854 Zip Code in NJ with a STRONG signal - always was. 

Was 5G removed? 

I tried to connect/configure using 2.4G, but that didn’t work. Again, thank God! - I was using WiFi Extenders that SAW the 2.4G and 5G. I was told initially it was ONLY 5G - by the way. 

So, what happened? 

Will I be able to remain having service?

Are YOU T-MOBILE AWARE of this? 

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

2.4 and 5 are the signals it kicks out to your device..has nothing to do with the signal coming in. mass majority of devices that are used in a home that connect to wifi use the 2.4..as an example..a roomba uses 2.4...security cameras and garage doors usually use the 2.4. laptops/tablets etc can usually use either one.

you will need to contact TMO either by calling in (tier 1 support) or through one of their social media platforms like Facebook or Twitter (tier 2 support) and have them create a network ticket for you.

Badge

Thank you. That occured to me. My devices are the same I’ve had for years and don’t think they are 5G - likely not possible. However, what, if not how - it “pushes out to my devices” from this Gateway may have changed. It didn’t car that the device closest used anything but “Automatic” (no channel indication in the initial setup of Client). However, with the WiFi Extender, it ID’d the 2.4G and 5G and provided that as a selection. Moreover, one could select ANY, EITHER of the two and it connected. Now, one may only select the 2.4G and from the WiFi Extender only. As I said, thank God I was using it to see this. NOTHING from the Gateway indicates any of this. So, again, what changed? And, all of a sudden - nothing on my end, neither software or hardware. 

I did see the little window in the tower message me to restart my Gateway - and then… 

From what I’m reading “here” in these postings and have experienced since with T-Mobile since was Voicestream and I was (at  that time) working for Cingular Wireless, Mobitex in product realization is opening a ticket with support is a last resort. It’s beyond commenting here. -- Now, not that once the right folks were finally engaged they didn’t jump through hoops - they did (and Lord Bless them!! as hard as they worked); yet, to simply open a support ticket - is not simple, easy or quick. (If I log into my account I can’t just “get to work” - there’s all the “new and improved” stuff and surveys; same with 1st level phone support.) Actually, in the 20+ years, THIS is the first forum posting for me ever. 

Again, you’re comment is an advanced knowledge response - I see that; so, responded this above. Maybe you are a “support” person with a Usr_Id - I would certainly do that having been in that situation - so again, thank you. 

What I need is a - yes, we did something and please do contact us OR - they certainly know who I am, -email, call me and provide the answer. OR - say, for now, live with it if you don’t mind (I am actually even okay with that). 

But wasting hours a day across a weeks time is not my first thought. “This” is what I used to “do” and I did it prior to a customer dealing with it. I could be entirely wrong, but not based on my experience here of years of “all okay” - then not. It’s never been “me” - they always “changed something”. They even rebuilt my account once to “build back” what I had since the account was so “old” so to speak. 

I’ll leave it there and hope some Director or VP is sent this. “This kind of stuff” really should not happen. I’ve offered to be a “outside their firewall” tester if even on a “Sandbox” with my gear which is not “uncommon”. 

I suppose of 90 something % are okay, their fine with it? We, or I never was - I signed off on Mobitex code allowed to transmit on that Network - there’s just no reason for “it”. I used industry standard IEEE hardware and software and NOT changing or silly-updating it. If it works, it’s locked in and I use multiple systems. If I see problems across them - how is it me?

Again, thank you. 

- T-Mobile? Reach out to me email or phone and let me know. Plenty of detail there - for level III or level IV or Principle Member Technical Staff to have a quick look for this 08854 Zip Code and my address you have - STRONG signal - I can see the tower. 

Best regards.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@iTinkeralot or @bocaboy2591  might have an idea as to what you are seeing if its a possibility it could be on the devices side of things.

no agents in here to contact anyone. site admin and mods only. i recommend the Facebook/Twitter method..send them a DM and off you go.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Just guessing here based upon the original description. It may be the 5 GHz radio in the Sagemcon gateway has failed but the 2.4 GHz is still working. If you have an Android phone you can load a network scanner and search out the wireless network frequencies. If you do not see your gateway broadcasting on the low and high 5 GHz bands then this could be an indication the gateway is failing with respect to the 5 GHz radio frequencies. 

From the T-mobile network application on your cell phone you should be able to get some clarity on the operation of the gateway radios. The Sagemcon will NOT provide web GUI management. The management of the gateway is only via the mobile application and the advanced information under the “MORE” menu selection at the bottom of the application is the best place to start.

To get an initial view of the local wireless network frequencies and SSIDs broadcasting go to the menu option at the bottom of the application listed as “Network”. It should report both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz information. 

The LED screen on the gateway may also be of some help. I am not familiar with the menu options nor the reporting of the Sagemcon gateway as I have the Nokia gateway. The Nokia has different reporting and is possibly much more informative so we might be flying a bit blind with the Sagemcon. If your client network adapters all have 5 GHz capability and none will communicate over 5 GHz now my guess is there is some issue with the gateway hardware and the 5 GHz local wireless network radios. If you don't see the 5 GHz radio frequencies broadcasting from the gateway that is a big clue. Time for a replacement possibly. 

I suppose a firmware update could have gone sideways and for some odd reason the operation of the local wireless networks is messed up but you will not be able to down grade so contacting support is pretty much the best path. If you have a local T-Mobile store that has agents trained on the gateway maybe you can take it in and have them troubleshoot the unit. 

Badge

Okay, that’s along what I was thinking. I may just stop in the T-mobile store near me and ask first, then bring it in. 

It’s a shame T-mobile operates this way. 

But, again, if they run it by statistics as I commented previously, versus it “all” matters, well, it is what it is.
(Again, not to degrade when one finally connects with the right person - it’s just so unusual in all my years engaging Verizon Wireless, Bell Labs, AT&T, and etc. to have a business process like “this”.) I don’t see it changing since - all one has to do is read what’s here and elsewhere.  

Thank you, best regards. 

Badge

Oh, and just fyi - I don’t have a FB or T account - kind of a useless thing to me. Sadly, I would think that “here”, their sight would be the best place and the FB or T accounts would redirect to this central on ramp, portal. Again, for me backwards. Many people are not on FB and T due to all the “stuff” going on in social media - many have deleted accounts, and etc. So, again, - bad business process engineering driven by an odd skew in my opinion.