Question

how do i turn off WiFi generation in 5G gateway

• 19 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

I use TMobile 5G gateway (10Mbps) as a failover internet WAN. My prime WAN is from Xfinity Cable (1gbps). Failover is handled by a Ubiquiti UDM Pro which is my main router / firewall. My WAPs are then plugged in to that router through my house.

The Arcadian KVD21 i was sent my TMobile used to have the option on the router admin page to turn off the WiFi signal that the Gateway generates, but seems that option isn’t available anymore on the mobileApp from Tmobile internet or on the router page 192.168.12.1

For reasons of security and reducing wireless signal interference, I would really like to shut down that TMobile gateway’s wifi signal without having to go in and unplug the antennas within the device, or alternatively have a means to turn down the signal strength, or even get a TMobile gateway that has no WiFi signal generation. 

Please help if you can. Sadly i wasn’t able to speak with anyone who understands networks at TMobile home internet tech support. Sorry - they try to be helpful but don’t know the words.

3 replies

Badge

Oh - and apparently i’m a ‘novice’ per TMobile - hysterical

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@bocaboy2591 

is there not an app that gives you options to turn it off and on?

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

@Julian H, there is no longer any way to do anything meaningful with the T-Mobile gateway. I, too, have the Arcadyan KVD21 5G gateway. I'm not using a router as an AP, so I use it in a stand-alone mode and find it has pretty good WiFi.

Some videos on YouTube by Nater Tater will tell you how to turn DHCP and WiFi off. I think you should take a look at these and see if any of them serve your purpose. 

My pet peeve with this gateway is that there is no connector/plug/interface for an external antenna. If you watch the Nater Tater video on how to attach an external antenna, you'll see that this is not for the faint of heart, and should anything go wrong, most likely T-Mobile will not simply exchange the gateway.

Let us know how it works out. Good luck!